New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Hi Sirs! I am new here at tsikot.
    What would be the better choice? I'll buy this for my mom. I noticed that most accords are cheaper than civics of the same year model.
    I assume 1997 or 1998 would be swak sa budget.
    Would appreciate your replies fellow tsikoteers.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    The Accord rides more comfortably and is slightly larger (more passenger room).

The Civic is cheaper in terms of fuel consumption and general maintenance costs.

Both are pretty decent cars assuming they were well maintained. Just take your pick between each's pros & cons.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Accord costs less than similar year Civics bec. the Accord's bigger engine displacement consumes more gas (but not that much more). But the Accord makes it up with better and more comfortable interiors.

1994-97

- comes in 2.0 EXi or 2.2 VTi. VTi comes with leather seats.

1998-2002

The 1998 is a newer body that bigger in size and better passenger comfort. If the price are close, may as well get the 1998 body.
    - comes in 2.0 VTi or 2.2 VTi-L

In both cases, it is better to go for the higher displacement engine, only bec. its the better choice esp if the price are quite close. Mas sulit.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thanks a lot for your inputs!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Only buy an Accord secondhand if you have enough money to maintain an Accord, secondhand. Just because it's old doesn't make it any cheaper to own, as you'll soon find out with the higher prices of spare parts like shock absorbers, clutches, brake pads.

Secondhand midsized cars can be money pits if the previous owner did not care for them properly. They may be nice, but you have to pick wisely when buying.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Altough some spare parts can be more expensive, it ends up justifying the higher comfort of the Accord over the Civic.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Whenever I hear accord..I always thought of my friend who bought one (1994-95) The car was nice and comfortable but maintenance wise i always hear him complain about it (sira servo, bulutong sa front bubong) and lastly his never ending complaints about the fuel consumption (1,500pesos - one way from SM north Edsa to Paranaque! Mura pa gas noon)
    In the end, he sold the car and got a Bnew Altis

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    We had an A/T 1997 Accord 2.2VTEC before from 2000-2003. It is THE most comfortable Accord I have ever ridden, even more so than our two 7th gen Accords. It is a very solid car with no serious mechanical breakdowns during its time with us except for an automatic transmission replacement which happened due to being submerged in flood. We sold it after three years (replaced by the Trooper) not because there was anything wrong with it but because of the frequent flooding during the time. Considering that the '93'-'95 Accord of your friend had only the 2.0L non-VTEC engine, I would assume that it gets worse gas mileage as compared to the 2.2L VTEC variant available in '96-'98 Accords. So far I do not recall very voracious fuel consumption with that car before, but I did not know that much about cars yet then. Considering that our K24A4 Accord gets around 6-7km/L, a well maintained F22B1 Accord should get slightly better gas mileage. Also, if your mother is capable, I would suggest you get a manual Accord. That way you get better fuel efficiency and performance and also more economical maintenance cost.

Now, I would only suggest you get the Accord if you do not mind the higher fuel consumption and maintenance cost as compared to the Civic. But if this is the case, the Accord is definitely the better car to have, especially if you are buying the car for keeps. Also, for both choices, take much care in getting a well maintained, all original car and preferably in manual form.

If I lived in the suburbs in the states, then I'd go for the accord. You'd actually be surprised that it's quite frugal on freeway driving (to and from the office). Maintenance wise, the 4 cylinder models cost almost the same as the civics in terms of parts and consumables.

However, I'm now based in the Philippines and if the two were the only choices, then it's the civic for me. The traffic and road conditions here makes the big difference. Mas mabilis magpalit ng suspension parts, mas ma-traffic and the costing of parts. More common models = more replacement parts available.