New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Good Evening Guys!

I am single young male professional planning to buy a used car for my everyday use from home to office and from time to time travel to the north around 100 km away from Metro Manila.
    This is going to be my first car and I have very limited knowledge about car ownership, maintenance, technicalities and stuff.
    My primary concerns are reliability, low maintenance cost, fuel economy and higher resale value just in case I want to make an upgrade (maybe in 3-5 years).
    My choice is 05-06 Toyota Vios 1.3e MT. Altis and Civic are already outside my budget while City is not really my type *sorry guys if I may sound superficial for ruling out the city. ;p

So upon checking the net for some ads I came across with this two.

2005 Toyota Vios 1.3 E MT Red
    55k mileage
    casa maintained, Lady owned (?)
    Leather seat cover
    All stock except the seat cover and floor mat
    I am dealing with the brother as the owner is out of the country
    Have not checked it yet personally
    Asking price is 340k

2006 Toyota Vios 1.3 E MT Silver (from a Car Exchange Shop)
    57K mileage
    Looks like in good condition as I have seen it personally. But I am not an expert so I plan to check it again bringing with me someone who is more knowledgeable on this matter.
    My judgment is based on the sound of the engine and the aircon but no test drive is done. But the fact that it is in a car exchange shop in Ortigas makes me more confident that it is really indeed in good condition and with clean papers (?). Am i right? or stupid? hehhee
    Asking price is 355K (I will try to negotiate more)

Both seller will shoulder the transfer of ownership.
    I am planning to get the car within two weeks time as I really need it also
    for my mother's regular medical check up and hospital visits.

So, my questions are:

1. Is the price reasonable enough for me to take it?

2. How to ensure that the car I am buying is in good condition? Not Flooded or with hidden defects? One agent told me that I can bring the car to a Toyota Service Center and have it checked by a competent mechanic. How much would it cost me to do that? and How and where? I live in Pasig. Both cars are located in the same area.

3. With the car's mileage as mentioned above, what are the usual things I should check? Should the tires, battery, belts and others be changed at this point? If they haven't changed yet, how much would it cost me? Should I anticipate it in the first six months? first year? My preference is not to cash out anything big within the first year except for the change oil and regular tune up.

4. How can I make the transaction with the first one if the real owner is out of the country. I haven't asked yet the brother if he has SPOA. Can he sign the DOS in behalf of his sister?

5. What are the additional stuff I should ask from the sellers other than CR/OR, Insurance Record, Service Record?
    Owners manual should be included? Spare key? Spare Tires?
    Tool kits, EWD? Other accessories I may not aware of?

6. How to do the transaction? Cash out, deed of sale, and then Ill take the car home. How can they transfer the ownership if the car is with me?
    They need to bring the car to TMG or LTO right? I dont have time to bring it myself.

Guys, sorry for too many questions and if some may sound too stupid (?) hehehhe This is really all new to me.

Thanks for all the help!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    1. medyo mataas yung price. try to get it * 320k at most.

2. there is no exact way to know kung flooded or not. eg. yung mga singit singit may buo buo na dirt etc etc. but trust me, its not easy to spot.

3. at that mileage, not much needs to be done. once it hit 80k mileage, thats the time marami kailangan gawin like change all fuilds, timing belt etc.

4. in one word, NO. usually nagiiwan na sila ng documents bago alis ng bansa. make sure the id xerox is there with 3 signatures and sedula is up to year para walang sabit.

5. that sounds about right.

6. well iiwan mo sakanila yung oto if done leagally pero marami na fixer that does it without showing. AFAIK, LTO lang kailangan and not TMG for the transfer. (i might be wrong here, not that sure)

transaction you mentioned is right but add the notary of the deed and the deal is done.

i dont like dealing with buy and sell pips, actually doubtful ako na sister ng seller yung may ari, excuses ng buy and sell yung ganyan eh. when i go and check 2nd hand units, i make sure na the seller is the owner or else, i just walk away. the fact na sabi ng "brother" na siya na bahala sa transfer, duda ko buy and sell yan.

its not easy to look for 2nd hand units, be patient.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    1. medyo mataas yung price. try to get it * 320k at most.

2. there is no exact way to know kung flooded or not. eg. yung mga singit singit may buo buo na dirt etc etc. but trust me, its not easy to spot.

3. at that mileage, not much needs to be done. once it hit 80k mileage, thats the time marami kailangan gawin like change all fuilds, timing belt etc.

4. in one word, NO. usually nagiiwan na sila ng documents bago alis ng bansa. make sure the id xerox is there with 3 signatures and sedula is up to year para walang sabit.

5. that sounds about right.

6. well iiwan mo sakanila yung oto if done leagally pero marami na fixer that does it without showing. AFAIK, LTO lang kailangan and not TMG for the transfer. (i might be wrong here, not that sure)

transaction you mentioned is right but add the notary of the deed and the deal is done.

i dont like dealing with buy and sell pips, actually doubtful ako na sister ng seller yung may ari, excuses ng buy and sell yung ganyan eh. when i go and check 2nd hand units, i make sure na the seller is the owner or else, i just walk away. the fact na sabi ng "brother" na siya na bahala sa transfer, duda ko buy and sell yan.

its not easy to look for 2nd hand units, be patient.
    Boss Archie Thank You sa Pagreply mo. Actually doubtful nga ako dun sa brother kasi nagpalit sya ng sim number na different sa nakapost sa kanya.
    And nagrequest ako ng mga papers sa kanya para iemail sakin at macheck ko dahil hinde pa daw nya ko pwede imeet at weekends lang pwede. And then nagrequest ako ng birth cert nya at ng kapatid nya hinde pa nagreply sakin till now. I dont know kung busy lang sya - benefit of the doubt ba. hehehe
    Pero direct owner lang talaga hanap ko kaso mahirap maghanap din sa net. Ang option ko na lang yun car exchange shop pero baka mapamahal ako dahil may additional cost sila sa pwesto nila pero at least mas sure ako na walang matatakbo na pera sakin .
    Try ko muna uli maghanap hanap at ask ko mga kaibigan ko kung may alam sila.

Kung dadalhin ko kaya sa toyota service center yun kotse sa exchange shop, reliable ba yun magiging assessment nila? To what extent ang pwede nilang gawin check dun sa kotse? And at what cost? San branch kaya maganda?

Salamat ng marami!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^

cost sa casa? i have no idea kasi rare ako magpagawa sa casa.

to what extent? hmm... baka kaya full diagnosis. pacheck pangilalim, tranny, engine, ecu, a/c, power streering. im not that sure though.

ako matagal tagal na ko naghahanap ng matinong 2nd unit pero no luck up to now. hanap hanap lang sir, may makukuha ka rin na jackpot diyan.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sa sinabi mo bro, duda na ako dun sa unit na wala yung may-ari dito.

Kung set ka na sa dalawang yan, personally i'd get the vios which is being offered by the car exchange dealer ...

Pero sa dami ng vios bro na binebenta sa 2nd hand market, madali nalang humanap ng " the best " para sayo ...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    another suggestion dapat meron mga service records at casa maintained kasi dyan mo ma veverify kung alaga sa pms ang kotse na bibilhin mo at additional info yan kung hindi binaha ang kotse

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Baka nga hindi makatotohanan yung number one choice sir, try looking for others, tama si sir renzo, ang daming vios diyan

eto pa baka makatulong:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...lKeywords=vios

red vios 2005 model 60Tkms. Php299K

Pwede pa daw i-ship sa MM area! Yeah! :D

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    299k. Mura ah ... Sabagay, Vios J kasi. Hehehe. No power windows etc. Power steering lang.

Pero kung okay lang sa TS, eh good buy na yan as long as maayos lahat ( from papers to the car itself )

Pero IMO konti nalang Vios E na yan. Or even Vios G ! Hehehe.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Mga boss chief maraming salamat sa mga tulong nyo.
    Actually, nagtanong tanong muna din ako sa maga kaibigan ko kung may personal silang kilala para direct na ko sa owner. Mukhang mahirap nga humanap ng direct owner sa net.
    Yun bro nung taga abroad hiningan ko lahat ng docs or/cr, service record kasi casa maintained daw, pati insurance, at pati birth cert nila magkapatid. Hinde rin naman ako makikipagtransact sa kanya kung wala sya matinong docs maprovide sakin. So far wala pa reply, so I don't know what is taking him so long to prepare the docs to think matagal na nya inopen sa market yun sasakyan.

Sir digitel maraming salamat sa pag effort, kaso my eyes are really set on 1.3e. Mas trip ko ang all power. Kung may makita na mura din na 1.5g , why not for added power at features.

Pero kung may marefer pa kayu, pwede ko rin maconsider basta ba ok at direct na sa owner.

Maraming Salamat!

Happy New Year GUys!

Hope to get my first car soon.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    alam ko hindi nagkakalayo yung price ng 1.3e sa 1.5g. ive seen some hanging around at 350k asking 2003-2004 models.

its really hard to search for direct sellers ngayon. nauunahan lagi ng mga buy and sell. kung meron man direct seller, garapal naman price na gusto nila.

hindi lang sa net mahirap maghanap ng direct, kahit sa news paper sobrang dami na buy and sell. trick ko sa ganyan, sa unang text o tawag, ask if he/she is the owner (indicated sa or/cr). if sabihin sa pinsan, hipag, etc etc. pass na kagad ako.

the buy and sell might say na sila pinakamura pero for me, knowing the history of the car via the direct seller can give me some idea what has been done to the car.

Guys I need your opinion and inputs *Help