New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Sirs and Experts,

I've seen a number of sellers for this model, Mitsubishi Galant 1997 V6 2500cc . I've test driven one and it was superb. Everything seems to be in place and excellent.

My question is, why is this being sold at a price same as a Honda Civic of the same year model? Are there any problems aside from the fuel consumption of this unit?

I'm planning to get this in-house financed (0 interest) which is at 240k , dp of 135k, the balance in 6 months. zero interest. Is this a good buy mga sirs?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Because they're expensive cars to fuel up and own. Parts are more expensive than for Lancers and the front ball joints are particularly troublesome.

You'll note that Accords from the same time are almost as cheap... in the 250k region and sometimes lower. All midsized cars of that age are pretty darn cheap... some even cheaper than Galants.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sonborj View Post
    Sirs and Experts,

I've seen a number of sellers for this model, Mitsubishi Galant 1997 V6 2500cc . I've test driven one and it was superb. Everything seems to be in place and excellent.

My question is, why is this being sold at a price same as a Honda Civic of the same year model? Are there any problems aside from the fuel consumption of this unit?

I'm planning to get this in-house financed (0 interest) which is at 240k , dp of 135k, the balance in 6 months. zero interest. Is this a good buy mga sirs?
    Hindi giveaway yan. Ganun talaga ang market price nun. If you notice, Cefiro's have pretty much similar resale values, sometimes lower. Accord's typically fetch slightly higher prices, but its also pretty much within that vicinity.

Galant 2.5V6, you say? If you are getting the Galant, you're better off with the older 2.0V6 which makes about just as much power, is more refined, and should have better fuel consumption. You can get 1997 units of that model too. But if you really like it, then take it, just be ready for the fuel consumption.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Because they're expensive cars to fuel up and own. Parts are more expensive than for Lancers and the front ball joints are particularly troublesome.

You'll note that Accords from the same time are almost as cheap... in the 250k region and sometimes lower. All midsized cars of that age are pretty darn cheap... some even cheaper than Galants.
    Ditto on that. They can be a PITA for daily driver purposes mainly due to the fuel consumption as compared to newer cars but if you drive on the highway a lot, those cars are an absolute joy as compared to the Civic, Corolla, Sentra and Lancer of the same vintage. Our 1994 Galant VR loves eating balljoints for breakfast just as well and my neighbor who had a 1999 Supersaloon model was always complaining about his suspension.

IF i had to get an old Galant, I would choose that model (2.5L V6); i like the design, it's rare and it had good power. I recall a friend of mine who had one saying that his FC was surprisingly quite acceptable since the engine carried the body well. I don't know the exact figures though.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Between the 1993-1997 model and the 1998-2000 model of the Galant in V6, I'll choose the former. Lighter, elegant looking, and plenty of examples to choose from. And it's a bargain!!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I would love to get a V6 Galant "Shark" and convert it to LPG.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Our 1994 Galant VR loves eating balljoints for breakfast just as well and my neighbor who had a 1999 Supersaloon model was always complaining about his suspension.
    All I ever hear from Galant owners is "balljoints, balljoints, balljoints"

There was a time when every other month I saw a 94+ Galant on the side of the road, stuck. Why? Because some cheap-ass owners decided replacing busted balljoints with new ones wasn't necessary. I guess when the suspension assembly comes apart and leaves you stranded on the side of the road with one wheel hanging out like a broken arm, that attitude changes really quick.

As long as you maintain them properly, though, Galants are great fun. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    All I ever hear from Galant owners is "balljoints, balljoints, balljoints"

There was a time when every other month I saw a 94+ Galant on the side of the road, stuck. Why? Because some cheap-ass owners decided replacing busted balljoints with new ones wasn't necessary. I guess when the suspension assembly comes apart and leaves you stranded on the side of the road with one wheel hanging out like a broken arm, that attitude changes really quick.

As long as you maintain them properly, though, Galants are great fun. ;)
    Ah yes, they're fun to drive on the highways and from averaging 6-7km/L in the city, our FC improves up to 12km/L even with short 200kph jaunts on NLEX/SCTEX or SLEX.

My officemate also found out that way. It doesnt help that the suspension design of that 1994 - 1997 Galant incorporates around 4 or 6 balljoints all in all. We just replace our with 555 balljoints on the OEM arms.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    aside from the fuel consumption you also have to consider the registration fee of this vehicle...this is categorized as a medium sedan...MVUC for medium sedans 1997 to 2000 model is Php 6,000...you'll be spending almost 8k yearly for the cars registration (inclusive of the tpl, emission etc)
    light sedans (and medium sedans 1993 model and older) usually cost 3,500 annually for registration expenses

10. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    first time to post here.

anyway, i own a 1997 galant SS which i acquired in 2009 from my boss from san miguel. its been with me for 3yrs now and it has never given me headache. its a pretty solid car so long as the owner follows the maintenance schedule. fuel consumption is acceptable 6-8 km/l city and 10-13 km/l on hiway depending on traffic and road conditions.

at 26yrs old, i own 3 cars now, which i got as incentive from my company. and my galant which i named momo, remains to be my favorite in terms of stability and comfort.

for a 15yr old car. i would say that this model is superb in many ways. maintenance wise, its very cheap (for my standards), parts are still available. my civic maintenance is way more expensive than maintaining this galant. i highly recommend this car, speed, stability, and maintenance.

but we wary though, for sure, there are plenty of sellers around and since this car comes cheap in the market, and anyone can afford to buy...it may be prone to abuse. those who have had horror stories most likely abused the car. spend on quality OEM parts please. for any car to last long..er..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Galant 1997 V6 'Shark' almost a giveaway at 170k, is it worth it?