New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Pretty tough right? The price really sets these two side-by-side. I don't know why as well, but when I say I'm single, people automatically pick the Ranger. Haha! Maybe it's just me, but the Montero (the white one specifically) really appeals to me - sporty and classy at the same time. I've been around for the past week and I noticed that I like the one I see last. Haha! Man maybe I should just flip a coin. )
    if I can have a 3rd car (I wish I can afford this) at present, I will have a Ranger in a huff.... hehehe

2. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Yun lang. Biglang kailanganin ng Monty just because of the Ranger. Haha! Madalas actually pag guys ang tinatanong, 80% Ranger ang pipiliin. Pag girl, half-half. :p
    The montero doesn't really give you the 'old dad' image, unlike the Alterra or the crosswinds (peace to owners :D ). Its actually quite appealing for a single guy. But if you want brusko appeal, then it really is the ranger for you. Just a sidenote, there are 5 ranger XLTs here in the office parking.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the ranger. Even if you do have a family for the next 3-5 years, you can still fit your wife, 2 kids and a yaya in it. Just like what others said, you can buy something that can cover stuff at the bed. The montero is a safe and practical choice, but I know there's a reason why you did an apples-to-oranges comparison of it with the ranger, aside from the pricetag. To me it seems that the ranger is really your first choice but just picked the montero for practicality and for the 'norm'.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of this dilemma. Go get yourself a ranger.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Think about it this way. You want the Montero Sport for the practicality of the third row, right? Given that the Ranger has a wider and more comfortable second row, that's the one reason to get a seven-seater instead of a pick-up.

So, go to the dealership. Get into one of the Montero Sports sitting in the showroom. Pull up the second row, get into the third row, then put the seat down.

Now sit there for fifteen to thirty minutes, and think of which of your family or friends you dislike enough to make them ride there in Metro traffic. (the same goes for any "seven seater" SUV, mind you... not just the Monty).

That's your answer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Leodawesome said it best there has to be a reason why you want to get the ranger despite its impracticalities and probably a bed space you will never need. Do it!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    we have a two year old monty (in a few months time) and we're pretty happy w/ it. but given the circumstances now of our burgeoning family business, i'd give my left nut for a crack at that ranger beaut the ts desires

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Just an update guys, I finally got the new car just last Wednesday! It was a really tight match up until Monday, and I was even having second thoughts the moment I decided to process the bank PO.

In the end, the Monty won. Practicality in maintenance and daily driving did it for me. Good news is, I'm convincing my mom to get a Ranger since she's in the market for a pick-up, for utilitarian purposes. Win-win. Haha!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! Loving the Monty so far.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Enjoy your new ride... Post some pix of your new rig..

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    oh late ko na nabasa... will add some since we have both ranger and montero.

Congrats enjoy your ride.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Villanueva View Post
    Thanks guys!! Previously replied to this thread but I don't know why my reply got deleted. Test drove both over the weekend. Now I'm super torn!!

Ranger:
    + Has that king-of-the-road feel, especially with that height and sheer size. The only cars that matched its size are the land cruisers and the Prados
    + super refined and quiet interior
    + Floods won't be a problem
    + BAD A*S

- quiet bouncy, but tolerable
    - not much use for the flat bed

Montero:
    + Comfortable ride and spacious interior given the additional space for the seats
    + Safe choice, family-ready
    + Looks okay even in stock form, refined

- People say it looks daddy-ish for a young, single guy
    - Just a bit noisier than the Ranger
    - No use for the 7 seats as well since I will be driving solo most of the time
    - looks just okay, no wow factor unlike the Ranger

Now what? Haha. I keep on telling myself either of the two is a good choice. Maybe 7 out of 10 people I asked picked the Ranger, saying it's newer and the Montero is due for a new model soon. Heck I wish I could have both. Help!

what happened kaya did you get a Ranger or a Montero? any updates?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TholitzReloaded View Post
    what happened kaya did you get a Ranger or a Montero? any updates?
    Monty kinuha nya sir.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast