The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    how's highlands?
    i haven't been there in ages.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Do you guys feel that loss of power from NA engines at higher altitudes? They say it's 3%/300m over sea level.

I suppose in Tagaytay it's negligible but Baguio is pretty high.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Do you guys feel that loss of power from NA engines at higher altitudes? They say it's 3%/300m over sea level.

Most people drive their cars conservatively. Those with cars powered by gas NA engines rarely do make their cars reach its peak output. Peak torque is at 4K rpm while peak power is at 6k rpm.

Eh yung iba nga dyan kinikilabutan na kung lalampas na ng 3k rpm yung tachometer. Technically speaking, these people wouldn’t feel the difference in output at various altitudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017

Probably wont be felt in non-overtaking situations with the prevalence of electronic throttle/Drive by wire allowing the engine's computer to compensate for the thinner air with a wider throttle opening for the given driver's pedal input.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    (More comfort, more space 1st 2 rows, less weight and exterior bulk)

1. CR-V diesel, ~1600kg
    2. Rav4 (8km/l sa city), ~1600kg
    3. Innova (for leather upgrade), ~1800kg
    4. Fortuner (for shocks upgrade), ~2000kg

(Less comfort, less space 1st 2 rows, more weight and exterior bulk)

Capable lahat sa inclines. Mas matipid lalo diesel sa lighter body gaya ng CR-V, Tuscon/Sportage, Carens, or Accent.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Most people drive their cars conservatively. Those with cars powered by gas NA engines rarely do make their cars reach its peak output. Peak torque is at 4K rpm while peak power is at 6k rpm.

Eh yung iba nga dyan kinikilabutan na kung lalampas na ng 3k rpm yung tachometer. Technically speaking, these people wouldn’t feel the difference in output at various altitudes.

Baka daw masira pag pinaabot ng 4k rpm First time buyer, owner, driver. What to buy?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLZ View Post
    Probably wont be felt in non-overtaking situations with the prevalence of electronic throttle/Drive by wire allowing the engine's computer to compensate for the thinner air with a wider throttle opening for the given driver's pedal input.
    Baguio is around 1400m above sea level lang pala according to Wikipedia.

Maybe in another part of the world that is much higher (Denver?) it would be fun to compare a turbo and an NA engine with similar power/torque.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006

Maybe in another part of the world that is much higher (Denver?) it would be fun to compare a turbo and an NA engine with similar power/torque.

It would only be fun if you have two drivers who has the nerve to squeeze out every ounce of power/torque available at their disposal.

Baka daw masira pag pinaabot ng 4k rpm First time buyer, owner, driver. What to buy?

Kaya nga may redline so yun ang huwag abutin. Even if you do redline the tachometer, the engine will not just conk out and die. Di pa naman ako nasabugan ng makina. Hehehe

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post

kasi madami sa pinoy na nagturo sa mga new drivers eh nang galing sa carburetor engine.. di pa naman uso yung variable valve timing noon eh kaya usually nasa lower rpm ang torque nyan kaya siguro nandun yung "awareness" at the back of their minds na wag mag rev more than 4k kasi sa dating engines pwede talaga masira pag nag over rev lalo na hindi maka adapt yung valves sa sobrang bilis..

pero mga modern engines ngayon, mas gusto yung nasa higher rpms.. smooth ang power delivery

10. Join Date
    Dec 2019

Or maybe higher than Denver, in Altiplano.
    Old Topgear presenters drove here in their Bolivia Special Episode. All of their cars were N/A engines. Of course, their engines became weaken when they reached almost the peak of the volcano.

The Altiplano is an area of inland drainage (endorheism) lying in the central Andes, occupying parts of northern Chile and Argentina, western Bolivia and southern Peru. Its height averages about 3,750 meters (12,300 feet),[3] slightly less than that of the Tibetan Plateau. Unlike conditions in Tibet, the Altiplano is dominated by massive active volcanoes of the Central Volcanic Zone to the west, such as Ampato (6288 m), Tutupaca (5,816 m), Parinacota (6348 m), Guallatiri (6071 m), Paruma (5,728 m), Uturunku (6,008 m) and Licancabur (5,916 m), and the Cordillera Real in the north east with Illampu (6,368 m), Huayna Potosí (6,088 m), Janq'u Uma (6,427 m) and Illimani (6,438 m).[4] The Atacama Desert, one of the driest areas on the planet, lies to the southwest of the Altiplano; to the east lies the humid Amazon rainforest.

The Altiplano is noted for hypoxic air caused by very high elevation.