New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    thanks guys for the advise. i will keep that in mind.

to orly_andico, bro thanks for the pics. a

ctually gusto ko na yung ae92 for a starter. marami na rin akong nakita from ads and it's within my budget. yun nga lang i need to ask the help of a mechanic to help me make a well-informed decision.

btw, aside from possible repairs, ano pa ang kailangan gawin after i buy a 2nd car? transfer of ownership? registration at LTO? what are the thing i need afetr i purchase one?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I have experience in looking for 2nd hand cars. Here is what i suggest (also from what i read from car sites):

1. Bring car to a mechanic ( mas maganda if you trust/know the guy)
    2. Ask for an engine compression test
    3. Have the car lifted for visual inspection of underchassis/suspension. You can also check if there are any fluid leaks (oil,tranny,etc).
    4. Check reserve wheel compartment. Makikita mo kung na rear end ang car.
    5. Check for idling w/ AC on and off (usually
    850<RPM <1k during idle, with AC on and off). Idling should compensate a little bit with AC on.
    6. Test drive it.

Marami pang pwedeng gawin. If possible, go for orig paint.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    frank_drebin, nasabi na ni ssaloon -- mas maliit ang AE111 compared to AE101, the wheelbase is actually shorter. not to mention, if you're buying used, an AE111 costs a lot more than an AE101 kasi mas bago. wala pa namang VVTi yung 111 so wala talaga siyang advantages compared to the 101.

of course between 1998 and 2002, walang choice, kung gusto mo ng corolla, AE111 kukunin mo. pero today, meron pa ring benta na AE111 XE (pang taxi) for Vios price. in that context, di siguro siya good buy compared sa Vios or Altis.

the lark, transfer of ownership is a pain in the ass. ako nga di ko pa ginagawa :D kasi magpapa-stencil ka ng engine and chassis number, etc. etc.

important siguro na alam mong hindi carnap yung binibili mo. malalaman yan sa PNP-TMG.

yung registration, ang ginawa ko, bumili ako ng comprehensive insurance from Toyota Pasong Tamo (mga 8.5k yun payable in 6 months, for 250k compre coverage), tapos nagdagdag ako ng 500 yata for emissions testing (300 yung fee sa test, 200 yung pag-suhol nila sa LTO.. or something..)

ayun, they registered it na (under the former owner's name pa ha.. kasi di ako nag change ownership) -- wala namang kaso sa akin yun kasi hawak ko yung original OR/CR and deed of sale. tamad lang talaga ako magpa change ownership.

di na ako pumunta ng LTO, di na ako sumipot sa smoke belching test, they delivered the new OR/CR and insurance documents and stickers to my office. wheeh

ang important when checking out the car is,

1) make sure walang leaks! if it's leaking oil, that's bad, so mas OK sana kung mapakita sa 'yo sa parking area nila (if there's an oil stain underneath...)

2) dapat hindi siya nabangga. this is easy to check. look inside the spare tire wheel well (inside the trunk). kung na rear-end yung car, obvious masyado sa loob ng wheel well na kulubot ang bakal. also, the doors should slam shut solidly, if something doesn't quite fit.. bangga yun.

3) the engine should run smoothly. dapat walang misfire (palya). rev it up to red line several times and try to listen for weird noises. dapat hindi siya smoke-belcher. blue smoke coming out means blow-by sa engine (mahal ayusin yun, overhaul katapat).

4) look for rust, particularly, sa loob ng wheel wells, and at the bottom of the doors (sa outside). tignan mo na rin sa firewall. also dapat hindi lumolobo yung paint, kasi rust yun sa ilalim ng paint.

5) the interior garnishes should be intact. kung may kulang na mga window roller handles, or tanggal-tanggal mga switches, it means the owner didn't take care of it.

by the way, with a car this old, you are ***SURE*** to find somethings wrong with it. in particular (dun sa car ko..) ang nakita kong sira/pangit:

1) laspag yung shocks. 10k to repair (pina-ayos ko na)
    2) malalim ang cluctch. 7k to repair (tiis muna..)
    3) medyo erratic yung idle. 25k distributor or surplus mga 6k daw (tiis muna..)
    4) sabog kung power antenna, ayaw umakyat/baba (pinalitan ko na, 2k)
    5) sira ang engine mounts. mga 4k.

what i mean to say is, wag kang maghanap ng "perfect" na used car. wala kang mahahanap. gamitin mo yung info about yung damages na nakita mo para baratan yung may-ari. tapos mag reserve ka na rin ng extra money para ayusin yung mga sira.

definitely with any used car, tapos ipa-tuneup mo kaagad pag nakuha mo. that's change oil, change fuel filter, change oil filter, change air filter, change spark plugs, change timing belt. lahat-lahat yan mga 6k for an AE92 (mura 'to, sa car ko timing belt palang 5k na.. wala pa labor)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ver well said ser orly...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ung AE111(aka the current toyota taxi) *relatively* smaller ung interior compared to the AE92, and even moreso compared to the AE101 or AE121...pero imho it's still bigger than the Vios' interior.

Kung medyo malaki kang tao, pihado maliitan ka sa AE111...pero kung average lang naman ang built mo, and you're family isn't large(numerically), imho ok na rin ung AE111...it's just that it really pales beside an AE101 B).

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    wow mas maliit pa pala ang AE111 sa AE92?! i didn't know that...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    to orly_andico,

thanks you bro. that was realyy informative. i printed your suggestions para maconsider ko if ever i decide to buy na. thanks again.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Mga Sir, just would like to ask, im also a newbie here, with regards the topic, if for example, im gonna buy a used ae92 corolla, ano yung mga possible weak points ng corolla na i-coconsider ko, especially when checking the unit/car... Thanks

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    from my own experience, in addition to a mechanic, bring someone for a second opinion, preferably one who is familiar with cars or the make you are looking at. also, take your time and never rush into a deal. good luck.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks sir, I'll take note of that..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Factors to consider when buying a 2nd hand car