New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    diesels are more expensive to fix, that is, if and when they need fixin' .

in my 17 year old diesel engine with over 140K km, all i did was the regular 5000 km oil change.
    "nothing else to pms."
    That's the key! 17 years old would have been a good old Euro-2 with no nonsense.
    We had (car has since been donated to my cousins) a 1995 L300 with over 700,000kms on the odometer (probably more than a million actual km done since the speedo failed over a decade ago) that's still chugging along to this day.

Modern diesels have all sorts of add-ons that are double edged swords. EGRs, DPFs, high pressure injection, etc.
    Reduced emissions and increased power, but more stringent requirements on operation and maintenance, and a lot more expensive to fix when something fails.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; June 9th, 2022 at 02:15 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    ^actually, with old diesel cars (Euro-2). yung compression ng pistons nya will drop faster compared to its gas engine counterparts.

pero as usual, di naman tayo nag check ng compression as long as "umaandar pa"

and mas madali magpalit ng lining ng piston ng diesel compared sa gas. (sa gas, hahabulin na lang yung butas ng piston tapos oversize konti using new pistons na)

new turbo diesels are different since madami na syang sensors and kailangan palitan after XXXkms. same with the turbo, normally 100k kms lang lifespan nila.

pero again, Pinoy PMS. basta tumatakbo pa...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    ICE days are numbered in EU: EU lawmakers vote to ban sales of gasoline cars by 235 - CNN

That is just 13 years away although a lot can still happen in between

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    ICE days are numbered in EU: EU lawmakers vote to ban sales of gasoline cars by 2?35 - CNN

That is just 13 years away although a lot can still happen in between
    we're Pinoys...

our cars last forever!

I'm sure may pa-isa-isa pang 3K na tumatakbo sa EDSA
    C190 na jeep

ilang beses ko narinig na sirain ang 2C, pero madami ka pa din makikita sa Metro Manila (even more sa provinces)

and even if Toyota PH/Indo/Thai decides to keep using the 1GD for 20 more years (2 more Fortuner generations), I don't think anyone will complain.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    we're Pinoys...

our cars last forever!
    Americans din hehe. Actually I feel like I see more old cars driving around US roads than over here (well, sa Metro Manila at least).

Reuters reports that the average age of cars in the USA is over 12 years old now: Americans are driving older cars as workers stay home, economy slows | Reuters

Whereas in SEA the average age of cars is about 6.5 years. Bangladesh keeps their cars the longest with an average age of 7.8 years: Motorists in Asia replace their cars twice as often than motorists in the US - SUNSTAR

And anecdotally this is true. Look around the streets lang when you're in the US and you see so many old cars still on the streets. On manufacter specific subreddits like /r/Honda you'll see old Accords still in common use that you hardly see on local roads anymore.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Americans din hehe. Actually I feel like I see more old cars driving around US roads than over here (well, sa Metro Manila at least).

Reuters reports that the average age of cars in the USA is over 12 years old now: Americans are driving older cars as workers stay home, economy slows | Reuters

Whereas in SEA the average age of cars is about 6.5 years. Bangladesh keeps their cars the longest with an average age of 7.8 years: Motorists in Asia replace their cars twice as often than motorists in the US - SUNSTAR

And anecdotally this is true. Look around the streets lang when you're in the US and you see so many old cars still on the streets. On manufacter specific subreddits like /r/Honda you'll see old Accords still in common use that you hardly see on local roads anymore.
    Noticed that too, and I see a lot of cars that look like junk being driven around in the US. Several cars in DUCT TAPE. No kidding. Side mirror na naka duct tape, body na naka duct tape. I think because of the 4 seasons mas mabilis mag rust cars nila.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Noticed that too, and I see a lot of cars that look like junk being driven around in the US. Several cars in DUCT TAPE. No kidding. Side mirror na naka duct tape, body na naka duct tape. I think because of the 4 seasons mas mabilis mag rust cars nila.

yeah it's the road salt

8. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post

Ung sister ko sa US puro bangas na ung old Camry niya, na retire lang nung ma total ng daughter nya [emoji38]

9. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post

Even some of their police cars, the Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor which was discontinued making it in 2011 for example still in service in some states. They prefer the Crown Victoria because of its design simplicity unlike the current Explorers and Dodge Chargers with complex and modern electronics.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    Even some of their police cars, the Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor which was discontinued making it in 2011 for example still in service in some states. They prefer the Crown Victoria because of its design simplicity unlike the current Explorers and Dodge Chargers with complex and modern electronics.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    i read somewhere, that there is/was a "police special" crown vic.
    upgraded suspension and stuff...
    fantastic reliability.

the charger is a prefered cop car, because, daw, "it's fast".
    Last edited by dr. d; June 11th, 2022 at 12:10 PM.