New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    You can race with a cvt. One night way past midnight at congressional i was at the stop light at the corner of visayas on my ex kia sorento when a new forester xt pulled up beside me with lowered passenger windows (i was on his right side). E alam na yun pag ganun, lower ko din window ko, kaway sabay off ng air con. Then when the light turned green we both floored it. Of course the 197hp crdi diesel with the conventional auto tranny beat his 240 hp gasoline with cvt ON THE FIRST 300 METERS or so. He ate my dpf soot (nag regenerate dpf haha!). Pero after that he was already side by side and pulling away. I ate his dust before even reaching tandang sora intersection. Mabagal lang talaga sa arankada ang cvt pero sa rekta dun na siya hahataw ng todo.
    You can pull ahead at first with the ample torque of a turbo diesel but the turbo gas will beat you to triple-digit speeds. The Sorento/Santa Fe 2.2L CRDi can do around 9+ seconds on a 0-100 kmh sprint while the FXT can do the same in 7+ seconds.

If the FXT is on Sport# setting, the throttle gets more responsive and you can do 6k rpm in between shifts (if on manual override). The FXT is about as quick as a BRZ/86 on a straight line sprint to 100kmh but not as quick as WRX. The platform just has a good amount of mechanical grip and add more to that is the symmetrical AWD system which keeps all 4 wheels on the ground all the time.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Why not wait for the next Legacy? Baka mas bagay sa yo yon
    This will be the wife's ride, but I get to drive it once in awhile ...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    CVTs are quick no doubt, quicker than any torque converters. The civic for example, even with lower power figures is noticeably faster than the focus ecoboost which has higher power figures but uses a torque converter.

I guess what he’s probably trying to say is jack rabbit starts will shorten the lifespan of CVTs.
    It's the long-term durability of a CVT I'm concerned about. My wife has a 1st gen 2013 Nissan Rogue and it's fairly peppy for a 170 hp CUV, probably 8 sec 0-60 mph. But, I baby it because if the CVT goes, I'd have to spend several thousand $$$ for a new one. No problems so far. But, I have heard all the horror stories.

You don't repair a CVT. A bad one is replaced with a new one. Ouch.

I always remind my wife she should've picked my choice back then: the 1st gen, 157hp CX-5.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 26th, 2019 at 08:53 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    It's the long-term durability of a CVT I'm concerned about. My wife has a 1st gen 2013 Nissan Rogue and it's fairly peppy for a 170 hp CUV, probably 8 sec 0-60 mph. But, I baby it because if the CVT goes, I'd have to spend several thousand $$$ for a new one. No problems so far. But, I have heard all the horror stories.

You don't repair a CVT. A bad one is replaced with a new one. Ouch.
    And this is part of the reason i started this thread, to be able to avoid which models have the bad rep.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    dapat i-extend ang thread nito to include dsg problems also.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Aside from the faulty Powershift DCT of Ford, most issues are in some ways attributed to neglect of owners in proper maintenance. As mentioned, failures in CVT cars are less than 1%.

Manufacturers have now started doing extended warranties to deal with issues not easily found within the first 3 years or 60k miles (100k ) of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    You can race with a cvt. One night way past midnight at congressional i was at the stop light at the corner of visayas on my ex kia sorento when a new forester xt pulled up beside me with lowered passenger windows (i was on his right side). E alam na yun pag ganun, lower ko din window ko, kaway sabay off ng air con. Then when the light turned green we both floored it. Of course the 197hp crdi diesel with the conventional auto tranny beat his 240 hp gasoline with cvt ON THE FIRST 300 METERS or so. He ate my dpf soot (nag regenerate dpf haha!). Pero after that he was already side by side and pulling away. I ate his dust before even reaching tandang sora intersection. Mabagal lang talaga sa arankada ang cvt pero sa rekta dun na siya hahataw ng todo.
    Uy! How do you know nagregen yun DPF? Is there a sign? Kia Sorento ex with DPF also here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Uy! How do you know nagregen yun DPF? Is there a sign? Kia Sorento ex with DPF also here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Thick gray smoke from the exhaust when you floor the accelerator after proper warm up.

99.9% city driving with very short trips kasi yung sorento ko kaya ganun barado dpf lagi. You will notice barado dpf when your fuel mileage goes down. Ginagawa ko i bring it to nlex then binibirit ko takbo every few months. Ayun maganda na ulit acceleration and fuel mileage pagtapos malinis yung dpf.

I sold it after 5 years in 2017 with only 42k km on the odo.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910