New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    We still own our 2008 City i-Dsi CVT. But the mileage is only about 90k kms racked up on the vehicle as it is mainly a city car and we don't use it for out of town trips. For this specific unit (from what I read), one of the quicker cause of failure was actually using the manual mode of the CVT. So from the beginning, we didn't use it from brand new, except maybe a handful of times to see if it was more efficient in keeping revs low (it wasn't TBH).

Compared to the 2009 Altis 1.6E AT of my brother, I'd say the regular AT was more "simpler" to maintain, cheaper as well because of the difference in price of the CVTF compared to ATF.

But, I think when it comes to driving a CVT, there are sometimes tell tale signs that there might be something going on with the transmission and the best course of action is immediately have it checked (do not delay basically. When I say immediately, I mean don't prolong it beyond a week when you notice something off about the car's behavior/performance).

Honda advices to change CVTF every 2 years or 40k kms but since we don't drive that much (and aren't stuck in bumper to bumper traffic a lot since it is driven mostly off-peak hours), we change almost every 4 years. No CVT problems (yet) but we've replaced wheel bearings etc. So who knows really. But I still like it's performance, apart from the shudder when you don't shift to neutral when in full stop that sometimes crops up (this doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen. And when the frequency increases, time to change CVTF most likely as part of the honda diagnosis) =)

Also own a 2014 Nissan Slyphy 1.6CVT, already replaced CVTF this year after 5 years of ownership but also my mileage was barely 30k kms on the fifth year. Again, not frequently driven during rush hour but I also drive it for out of town trips sometimes. Here though, I think Nissan Philippines is too "lax" in the interval for CVTF replacement as they seem to base it only on mileage (40k kms). I had to insist they replace it at 30k and to just have them do it. I have noted some performance degredation after my more recent out of town trip that's why I told them to just include it as part of the work. Problem resolved after. But, the catch I found was that my FC tanked a little and only got back up to normal after about 1000kms, so it was like I was breaking the car in again, which was a bit odd as that wasn't the case with the Honda.

No experience with Toyota or Subaru CVT though so can't give any anecdotal evidence of ownership.
    According to Suby Club, CVT failures are attributed to boosting engine power to the point that the CVT belt cannot take it.

No problems on stock power.

Remember that any transmissions have torque and HP capacity.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Really that low FC? below 15kmph average speed? Didn't that Lancer come with a 1.6L engine? I forgot.
    Really low on traffic. We average 11kph in our area.
    CVT shines on long highways.

It has a 1.6L engine. And that engine is really not fuel efficient.
    We were sold with the fold out pioneer stereo and nokia handsfree function when the car was brand new.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Ito na lang...
    My closest friend has a 2004 CRV with 4AT
    I have 2004 lancer mx with cvt.

Guess who did a transmission rebuild. Casa maintain pa both cars. Religious 40k transmission fluid replacement na yan.

CrV clutch packs gave out. Overhauled.

Buti nga pwede pa maayos ang AT. Papano kaya kung CVT masira?

Anyway in my experience, it was the opposite. My cousin owned a Lancer 2006 2.0 GT with a CVT and an Accord 2004 2.4 with a 5 speed AT. I’ve driven both a few times. Both went through the same abuse and neglect because they left the maintenance to their drivers. Not once were the transmission fluid changed. The lancer’s CVT became junk around 2014 to 2015 and they sold it as is. The accord fared better, they still own it but the transmission was now slipping from 1st to 2nd gear... but it can still run though unlike the lancer. Pinasok nila sa shop ngayon, 40k ang gastos paayos.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...cer-2-0-gt/amp

2006 Lancer 2.0 is 4AT.
    CVTs of yesteryears are limited to 1.6L and below engine power.

High torque CVTs are first used by nissan suvs after 2010, i think.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...cer-2-0-gt/amp

2006 Lancer 2.0 is 4AT.
    CVTs of yesteryears are limited to 1.6L and below engine power.

High torque CVTs are first used by nissan suvs after 2010, i think.

Oh sh*t. It was a 4AT? They told me it had a CVT and I really believed it was a CVT back then because it felt so rubber band-ey. Well I guess that was a battle of torque converter trannies then. We also own a 1.6L lancer but we chose the manual because the CVT was fairly new back then and we didn’t want to experiment with a new tech.

But the 2008 2.0 lancer EX as I recall had a CVT.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SidCoronel View Post
    Agreed.

Bear in mind also that different AT gens require different driving styles. For example, DCTs should be placed on N and D intermittently when in Makatigtype rush hour traffic

CVT's should be accelerated gradually, Jack rabbit starts will kill it

True to all trannys, regular and correct ATF grade is a must.
    Who said you can't accelerate quickly with a CVT? The turbo-powered Subarus and Hondas are quite quick. Have you driven one?

Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Oh sh*t. It was a 4AT? They told me it had a CVT and I really believed it was a CVT back then because it felt so rubber band-ey. Well I guess that was a battle of torque converter trannies then. We also own a 1.6L lancer but we chose the manual because the CVT was fairly new back then and we didn’t want to experiment with a new tech.

But the 2008 2.0 lancer EX as I recall had a CVT.
    Lancer Cedia ba? They do have CVTs. I am not sure though if Mitsubishi used different trannies on their 1.6L and 2.0L Cedia models.

The Lancer from 2008 onwards have CVT and so with the ASX.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    2004-2008 models, 1.6L cvt, 2.0L 4AT.
    Ex models 2008 up, 2.0L cvt, 1.6L 4at

8. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Who said you can't accelerate quickly with a CVT? The turbo-powered Subarus and Hondas are quite quick. Have you driven one?
    CVTs are quick no doubt, quicker than any torque converters. The civic for example, even with lower power figures is noticeably faster than the focus ecoboost which has higher power figures but uses a torque converter.

I guess what he’s probably trying to say is jack rabbit starts will shorten the lifespan of CVTs.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    CVTs are quick no doubt, quicker than any torque converters. The civic for example, even with lower power figures is noticeably faster than the focus ecoboost which has higher power figures but uses a torque converter.

I guess what he’s probably trying to say is jack rabbit starts will shorten the lifespan of CVTs.
    Hard Acceleration basically, especially from a standstill/crawl. =)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can race with a cvt. One night way past midnight at congressional i was at the stop light at the corner of visayas on my ex kia sorento when a new forester xt pulled up beside me with lowered passenger windows (i was on his right side). E alam na yun pag ganun, lower ko din window ko, kaway sabay off ng air con. Then when the light turned green we both floored it. Of course the 197hp crdi diesel with the conventional auto tranny beat his 240 hp gasoline with cvt ON THE FIRST 300 METERS or so. He ate my dpf soot (nag regenerate dpf haha!). Pero after that he was already side by side and pulling away. I ate his dust before even reaching tandang sora intersection. Mabagal lang talaga sa arankada ang cvt pero sa rekta dun na siya hahataw ng todo.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast