New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Mali nga yung comparo nung Mini vs Lancer. It's like comparing the WRX (rather than the STi) to the Evo!

Pero I bet kung Lancer vs Chery, maari ding mas mahal ang chery. Kasi kung mabangga ka at mo-ospital, talagang tataas ang cost mo.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    the trouble with CR is that it always looks at cars as a necessary evil instead of a passion. therefore, their studies are concerned with reliability and cost minimization, and nothing else. this may be useful to those who consider cars as nothing but an appliance and a point-a-to-b conveyance, but it is completely useless and ridiculous to a car enthusiast.
    I wouldn't consider CR for car reviews either, not by a longshot. But, it's useful for giving an indication of what sells and which brands are the reliable ones.

It's very name, Consumer Reports denote the very people you described. So, I'd cut CR some slack.

Besides, with just about every Car A vs Car B comparo right here at Tsikot, how many times have costs, reliability, resale value, fuel economy, and availability of parts been mentioned?

It's every single time. So, I'd say a huge chunk of this forum cares about such things. It's them that Consumer Reports targets. I mean it sucks if CR mentions a particular car whose owners may feel offended. But, it sucks to be them.

Add:
    I'd also fall squarely with the latter. I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. It's very name denote poor resale value. It's a V6. So, someone in this forum would probably think it's a gas guzzler. Oh well. On the other hand, I got the car for less than the cost of many 4-cylinder compacts/midsizes (with far better straight line grunt). and reliability seems on track with CR's findings. It's almost 3 years old. Nothing has gone wrong yet and it still drives like new. I'll find out in 3 more years if this Hyundai is in fact reliable.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 11th, 2008 at 04:42 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I wouldn't consider CR for car reviews either, not by a longshot. But, it's useful for giving an indication of what sells and which brands are the reliable ones.

It's very name, Consumer Reports denote the very people you described. So, I'd cut CR some slack.

Besides, with just about every Car A vs Car B comparo right here at Tsikot, how many times have costs, reliability, resale value, fuel economy, and availability of parts been mentioned?

It's every single time. So, I'd say a huge chunk of this forum cares about such things. It's them that Consumer Reports targets. I mean it sucks if CR mentions a particular car whose owners may feel offended. But, it sucks to be them.

Add:
    I'd also fall squarely with the latter. I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. It's very name denote poor resale value. It's a V6. So, someone in this forum would probably think it's a gas guzzler. Oh well. On the other hand, I got the car for less than the cost of many 4-cylinder compacts/midsizes (with far better straight line grunt). and reliability seems on track with CR's findings. It's almost 3 years old. Nothing has gone wrong yet and it still drives like new. I'll find out in 3 more years if this Hyundai is in fact reliable.
    don't get me wrong, Consumer Reports tries its best to cater to the car-as-appliance crowd. i suppose they do a decent job - does anyone know how well their "special car buying" issues sell relative to their normal volume?

i see tsikot as much more balanced than CR. for every practical viewpoint you get the enthusiast's viewpoint, and some others mixed in with that. so the buyer can get all sides of an argument. the only criticism that i have with our site is that we deal more with emotional arguments, assumptions and personal observation and too little with hard data, but there's always room for improvement i guess.

you're actually a perfect example of what i was talking about then - i seem to remember you saying that you will keep that Hyundai till it dies. if that's true then even if your car is expected to depreciate by 40% in 2 years (not the real facts, just made up for effect), depreciation means exactly ZERO to you...since you're never reselling the car.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    I had my buddy read this report and even for him who owns 7 cars disagrees with the CR's findings. He said that it is very misleading and can compromise consumer's budgetary constraints especially if they are aiming for just a 'cheap car'.

Very discouraging indeed.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    you're actually a perfect example of what i was talking about then - i seem to remember you saying that you will keep that Hyundai till it dies. if that's true then even if your car is expected to depreciate by 40% in 2 years (not the real facts, just made up for effect), depreciation means exactly ZERO to you...since you're never reselling the car.
    Actually, I'll keep any car until it falls apart unless it's a POS like our old 97 Dodge Grand Caravan SE*. I may not care about resale value because of that. But, I still need costs and reliability reports and CR seems like a good starting point.

CR is one source for me. Car reviews are another. Then there's word of mouth including opinions in forums, and finally..... test drives.

*Thank goodness for extended warranties. I paid zilch for $3.5k in repairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Consumer Reports: Cheap Cars Can Cost A Lot