New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Don't ask me. I'd take that 8th gen Accord anytime over the Civic FD. Big the 8th gen Accord may be but it handles well for its size, even better than most compacts. It is also quicker and faster than most compacts and midsize cars. The Accord is the sportiest sedan Honda offers locally (except for the new Civic Type R) and it is among the best sedans in the world. No Honda platform received more recognition than the multiple generations of the Accord (30 times in Car and Driver's 10Best).

The 8th gen is the last Accord with the hydraulic power steering and double wishbone front suspension. It is also the biggest generation of the Accord, near full size sedan dimensions already. It sits low on the ground and rides firmer than a Civic. However, it got one spacious interior.

Fuel consumption will be a pain in the *$$ if you use it as a daily car. If used on weekend family outings, it will be one great ride. Some J35 V6 engines did have problems with its VCM so you need to check it out. VCM allows the engine to fire up only 3 cylinders of its 6 cylinders when driven at light loads (city driving, low rpm). Also, make sure the power steering is in good condition. Honda's hydraulic power steering is a pain to repair if it was not taken cared of properly (Honda uses its own specific PS fluid).

If you're sure to get into midsize cars, be ready to spend a bit as it is not the usual compact car but the rewards for comfort and power is one good trade-off for some select people.
    Last edited by Egan101; May 25th, 2018 at 09:50 AM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Would also prefer a midsize sedan ... but at the right price ... most likely not the 3.5 engine of either the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry ... 2.4 liter engine will be sufficient ...

Straight swap maybe agree but still ... that 3.5 engine with VCM will be a pain to maintain ...

2008 Honda Accords are about 400-450T right now ... which is about same value as a 2011 Honda Civic ...
    Last edited by Walter; May 25th, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Would also prefer a midsize sedan ... but at the right price ... most likely not the 3.5 engine of either the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry ... 2.4 liter engine will be sufficient ...

Straight swap maybe agree but still ... that 3.5 engine with VCM will be a pain to maintain ...
    Yep, the Accord with the K24 engine will be just fine, the same level of comfort as the V6 model but still offers the nimbleness and handling of the platform.

The J35 V6 engine will be fine if you don't run into VCM issues. The only issue with it is if you can deal with its fuel-sipping habits.

4. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    That engine probably does not make 270 hp anymore. Age does that to engines.

And have you felt 270 hp on such a heavy car? Its NOT going to feel that fast if that is what you are expecting. Sure it will hit 230kmh easily but its not going to pin you in your seat when you floor it. Old transmission and long gears......

That accord was meant to be a long distance cruiser.. not a sports sedan. And because its heavy and wide...you wont be able to floor it much often in the city.

Gas consumption is easily 4km per liter. You will be lucky with 5 km per liter.

I'd avoid this if i were you.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    Helpful tips. Thank you sir.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I totally agree on this. So I'd rather drive "feeling fast" than drive fast. No, I don't want those annoying noisy cars so I'm not referring to those loud exhaust. I have ever been annoyed with those motorcycles​ and owner type jeeps that can wake up the entire neighborhood back when I was a kid until now.

Since you mentioned that you are not familiar with the Accord, I think it would be better if you stay away from it. Again, unless there is something rare that you can get from that car.
    On point. Thanks.

6. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Don't ask me. I'd take that 8th gen Accord anytime over the Civic FD. Big the 8th gen Accord may be but it handles well for its size, even better than most compacts. It is also quicker and faster than most compacts and midsize cars. The Accord is the sportiest sedan Honda offers locally (except for the new Civic Type R) and it is among the best sedans in the world. No Honda platform received more recognition than the multiple generations of the Accord (30 times in Car and Driver's 10Best).

The 8th gen is the last Accord with the hydraulic power steering and double wishbone front suspension. It is also the biggest generation of the Accord, near full size sedan dimensions already. It sits low on the ground and rides firmer than a Civic. However, it got one spacious interior.

Fuel consumption will be a pain in the *$$ if you use it as a daily car. If used on weekend family outings, it will be one great ride. Some J35 V6 engines did have problems with its VCM so you need to check it out. VCM allows the engine to fire up only 3 cylinders of its 6 cylinders when driven at light loads (city driving, low rpm). Also, make sure the power steering is in good condition. Honda's hydraulic power steering is a pain to repair if it was not taken cared of properly (Honda uses its own specific PS fluid).

If you're sure to get into midsize cars, be ready to spend a bit as it is not the usual compact car but the rewards for comfort and power is one good trade-off for some select people.
    Very thorough. Appreciated sir.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Drive it. Feel it. So you can decide.

If you ask me, I'd keep the fd.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    May 2018
    Took the Accord over the fd. And am so happy I did. The power and comfort. Even upgraded the headunit to an android 10.1. Hasn't given me major problem aside from the usual wear and tear parts. Stay safe guys.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Good feedback after 2 years of ownership!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12