New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Hello tsikot people... i just want to share my experience in looking for a second hand car. Nag-canvass rin ako eh and medyo not good yun mga na-found out ko.
    1. be careful from buy&sell dealers, hustler yan and they are very good in fixing things and making the car look really really good. Don't be deceived by how things look from the outside. (better if personal seller or referred by your friends or kakilala)
    2. the transaction should be transparent... check if the seller has all documents needed. Check the deed of sale if open ba and who are the previous owners. 1st owned ba... etc. check CR and OR. you can text LTO Vehicle [plate number ex. CAR123] to see if the car record is clean.
    3. if the price of the car that you're eyeing is sobra baba than the usual price of the same model elsewhere... there is always a catch so be more cautious.
    4. always ask for the service record, if it's a luxury vehicle, pretty sure it was casa maintained. if the seller cannot provide it or cannot tell you which casa the car was maintained at, start to doubt na. in my experience, daming beses na muntik maloko. i've asked for the service record... the usual response i got was wala daw or sa gas station lang pinapa-service or nawala ng previous owner. when i got hold of the actual service records, the actual mileage of those cars that i asked were doubled already than what's currently on the odometer. one of the dealer who was selling me a car with tampered odometer was a trade-in dealer of this famous car brand pa. grabe talaga! (there should be a law against tampering with the mileage of 2nd hand cars here in the Philippines like in the US)
    5. test drive the car and have it checked with your mechanic. list down all the issues if there are any and clear them with the seller before buying the car.

Good luck! and it's your responsibility to do due diligence.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    yeah and also check the overall performance of the car you're buying. test drive muna then decide kung ok sa yo o hindi

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Hello tsikot people... i just want to share my experience in looking for a second hand car. Nag-canvass rin ako eh and medyo not good yun mga na-found out ko.
    1. be careful from buy&sell dealers, hustler yan and they are very good in fixing things and making the car look really really good. Don't be deceived by how things look from the outside. (better if personal seller or referred by your friends or kakilala)
    2. the transaction should be transparent... check if the seller has all documents needed. Check the deed of sale if open ba and who are the previous owners. 1st owned ba... etc. check CR and OR. you can text LTO Vehicle [plate number ex. CAR123] to see if the car record is clean.
    3. if the price of the car that you're eyeing is sobra baba than the usual price of the same model elsewhere... there is always a catch so be more cautious.
    4. always ask for the service record, if it's a luxury vehicle, pretty sure it was casa maintained. if the seller cannot provide it or cannot tell you which casa the car was maintained at, start to doubt na. in my experience, daming beses na muntik maloko. i've asked for the service record... the usual response i got was wala daw or sa gas station lang pinapa-service or nawala ng previous owner. when i got hold of the actual service records, the actual mileage of those cars that i asked were doubled already than what's currently on the odometer. one of the dealer who was selling me a car with tampered odometer was a trade-in dealer of this famous car brand pa. grabe talaga! (there should be a law against tampering with the mileage of 2nd hand cars here in the Philippines like in the US)
    5. test drive the car and have it checked with your mechanic. list down all the issues if there are any and clear them with the seller before buying the car.

Good luck! and it's your responsibility to do due diligence.
    Very good explanation, sir. Good tips for 2nd hand wannabe buyers.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    buying second hand cars, imho, is really a risk. it would have to depend on the buyer na maayos yung sasakyan na makuha nya. how will you do it? check, check, check and test drive.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    pag may pepay na, hahanapin ko to sa search button ng tsikot
    salamat po sa guide
    i know its a risk pero yung kailangan lang na papeles and the likes ang kailangan kong maintindihan since i have absolute zero experience when buying a car and i think maiintindihan ko rin yung mga nabanggit dito

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    sa experience namin hindi reliable ang LTO text service. may alam kaming dalawang carnapped vehicles. when we inquired, NO alarm daw. reliable lang siya to determine when vehicle was last registered and color.

better inquire directly sa TMG or LTO after asking for OR and CR photocopies.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ECG View Post
    sa experience namin hindi reliable ang LTO text service. may alam kaming dalawang carnapped vehicles. when we inquired, NO alarm daw. reliable lang siya to determine when vehicle was last registered and color.

better inquire directly sa TMG or LTO after asking for OR and CR photocopies.
    mas lalo na po kung may "kakambal" yung kotse, same model, year, color and plates pero yung isa carnap pala. better check also if the engine and chassis number match those in the papers and not look tampered.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    keep the infos comming!
    haha

nako natatakot na ko bumili (if ever may pepay) ng 2nd hand lalo na wala ako kakilalang magaling na mekaniko tapos wala ako experience at knowledge masyado sa mga ganyan tapos di mo pa trusted/kakilala yung seller. sana yung mga nagpapaskil sa car finder na magazine eh matino

Be careful in buying 2nd hand car