New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I agree that the the Coolray (etc) outsold the Corolla (etc)

However you also have to consider that Compact Sedans are way more expensive compared to the Coolray/Territory/MG

(est) 300K diff is a considerable amount of cash and technically the local Japanese brands only have the Rush, BR-V, Xpander Cross and XL-7 as direct competitors to the "Chinese Crossovers"
    I view it differently - new gen compacts are now priced higher because they know they won’t have volume to drive bottomline so they’re working with higher margins with the assumption of lower sales anyway.

Even if they priced the new Civic at 1.15M vs 1.3M, they still wouldn’t move much units because the market has really shifted to crossovers. Might as well milk the remaining niche who still prefer sedans.

People will only buy sedans when they can’t afford higher cars. With the condition of our roads in the country, it’s an inevitable shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    The 5 series is good "value" now. I believe the cheapest variant is only 300k more expensive than the cheapest variant of the 3 series.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    People will only buy sedans when they can’t afford higher cars. With the condition of our roads in the country, it’s an inevitable shift.
    hahaha... same point I have to people buying a Vios... they can't afford a Corolla, and the Wigo guys can't buy a Vios

Even if they priced the new Civic at 1.15M vs 1.3M, they still wouldn’t move much units because the market has really shifted to crossovers. Might as well milk the remaining niche who still prefer sedans.
    sa akin naman... if they priced the Corolla and Civic around the 1M mark, that will complicate things with their TOTL City and Vios.

if you notice, I only looked at the 1.6M versions of the compact sedans, I think its not right to look at their entry level variants.

It would be nice if manufacturers could also provide a report of the breakdown of their sales per model.

NO sense comparing a Vios E/J/XE to a Coolray/Territory. Pero I would want to see how many Vios G and City RS/CVT were sold vs the Chinese Crossovers.

IMO, walang local competition si Coolray and Territory.

Kaya natawa ako kay Toyota when they released the Raize to compete with the Tigo, Stonic and Venue

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007

Common na ba all SUVs ang auto? My Dad kasi, he has a car for different "needs" for example there is a van, pick up/suv, compact and midsize etc. I get the compact Basta the minimum I would drive is a 1.6 compact, I refuse to drive anything smaller. But then again, if budget wasn't an issue I want a bigger vehicle

hahaha... same point I have to people buying a Vios... they can't afford a Corolla, and the Wigo guys can't buy a Vios
    bakit naman si dr d may corolla and wigo There was a time when I thought of getting a wigo but my Mom would not allow me. It's dangerous daw, I do agree especially when you do highway driving often, kasabay mo 10 wheelers
    Last edited by _Cathy_; February 3rd, 2022 at 12:31 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    The 5 series is good "value" now. I believe the cheapest variant is only 300k more expensive than the cheapest variant of the 3 series.
    It's because BMW PH sources the 5 series now from Malaysia instead in Germany.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006

sa akin naman... if they priced the Corolla and Civic around the 1M mark, that will complicate things with their TOTL City and Vios.

if you notice, I only looked at the 1.6M versions of the compact sedans, I think its not right to look at their entry level variants.

It would be nice if manufacturers could also provide a report of the breakdown of their sales per model.

NO sense comparing a Vios E/J/XE to a Coolray/Territory. Pero I would want to see how many Vios G and City RS/CVT were sold vs the Chinese Crossovers.

IMO, walang local competition si Coolray and Territory.

Kaya natawa ako kay Toyota when they released the Raize to compete with the Tigo, Stonic and Venue
    The way I see it, the default options per price point:

600-700k: Wigo, Mirage G4
    700k-1M: Vios, City, Raize
    1M-1.2M: Rush, Xpander, Territory, Coolray
    1.3M-1.6M: Pickups, Innova
    1.5M-2M: PPV

Niche cars nalang compact sedans (Civic/Altis) and Japanese compact crossovers (CRV, XV, CX5).

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Common na ba all SUVs ang auto?
    In our family yes, it’s going that way.

Last year we had 3 sedans, 2 crossovers. Right now we still have 2 sedans but will sell one soon. By next year we’ll only have 1 sedan left.

I personally love sedans but it’s just not as functional as a crossover or PPV, so one nice sedan in the garage is fine.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    bakit naman si dr d may corolla and wigo There was a time when I thought of getting a wigo but my Mom would not allow me.
    there's always exemptions to the rule... my dad chose an Adventure even if he can afford basically anything he wants under 10M.

of the 35K buyers of the Vios last year, how many do you think considered the Corolla as an alternative?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2013

Last year we had 3 sedans, 2 crossovers. Right now we still have 2 sedans but will sell one soon. By next year we’ll only have 1 sedan left.

I personally love sedans but it’s just not as functional as a crossover or PPV, so one nice sedan in the garage is fine.

Dapat yung sedan na maiiwan yung nakakahuli ng kiliti. 😂

10. Join Date
    Nov 2017

It’s the condition of our road in pinas that mostly drives the buyer to go for suv, crossover and ppv.

I also used to drive sedan but has shifted to CRV/CX5.

Im not into a PPV, its always a choice.

Car Sales Data (2021)