New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    for a 2010 or 2011 model, I think your options are still the same for SUVs, the Fortuner (gas or diesel) or Montero.

for pickups, I'd say Hilux, Strada and if you are okay with the Euro 2 Dmax.

for AUV/MPV, the Innova would be the most versatile option here, gas or diesel. If you are mostly using this in the city, I'd actually prefer using gas manual for the Innova. You'd get the benefit of "cheaper" PMS costs compared to the diesel, a quieter engine and similar km/l figures (if city only). If you frequently go with highways, then better to go with diesel as you will be able to reap more of the efficiency benefits there. The Gas Innova from Manila to Baguio when we used it for a family trip (7 pax with luggage) was left with a quarter tank when we reached Baguio. A diesel should more or less still give you above half a tank of diesel when you get there. For reference, our companion then had a 2.0 diesel Carens AT, same distance traveled, only consumed about 1/3 his tank. Never filled up in Baguio and got home to Manila without topping up in the middle of the trip back. Gas Innova we filled up twice.
    I've always believed that gas engines shine the most in highway driving, amni wrong? Based on experience, City driving is diesel's cup of tea due to traffic and idling.

Sent from my SM-A600G using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I've always believed that gas engines shine the most in highway driving, amni wrong? Based on experience, City driving is diesel's cup of tea due to traffic and idling.

Baliktad naman nasa isip ko.
    Diesel is for highway due to egr.
    Pero kung fc ang point of view mo, yes you have a point.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trann123 View Post
    Thanks so much for this insight! Nasaan kaya ang fc ng fortuner 2.7 G/V?
    You said you live in Baguio? IMHO medyo double whammy ang dagdag presyo sa fuel prices dun plus yung pagkatakaw ng Fortuner gas. Not to mention that traffic in Baguio plus the ups and downs make for rather poor fuel efficiency for any vehicle.

If you are into ride comfort and performance, pretty much nothing in this class beats the Santa Fe. Fuel consumption isn't class leading, but decent enough especially considering lower diesel fuel cost. My Gen 2 consumed about 1/4 tank Manila to Baguio (75L tank capacity). From there Baguio-Sagada-Baguio-Manila consumed 65.54L (9.4km/L). This included a snarling, hour long traffic jam near the Bocaue tollgate during the return trip.

As with any vehicle, check thoroughly to ensure that it is in good condition.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008

I suppose the FC of diesels doesn't fluctuate as much as gas engines in city driving.

Mine does 5-5.5 on a daily route of QC-Manila-QC, during rush hour, with heavy traffic and lots of stoplights. A daily route of QC-Val-QC via Edsa meanwhile gives 6-6.5, also during rush hour, with heavy traffic, but only 1-2 stoplights. Same driver, same driving habits.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trann123 View Post
    Hahaha ang cheesy naman ni sir. Mejo malayo layo pa sa plano bossing...
    Malayo pala sa plano, then her opinion on what car to choose doesnt have to matter at this point. Bilhin mo ang gusto mo.

Ibang usapan syempre kung pera nya gagamitin mo.

Nung di pa ko kasal, whenever i buy cars, i buy what i want. Nevermind ano sabihin ni gf and her opinion dont count (kahit kulay wala sya magawa, di nya naman pera and di naman kami kasal). When we got married, sya nagdecide ano bibilhin. Taga bayad na lang ako

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sirkosero; August 6th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.

6. Join Date
    May 2014

Regarding this, if it's all mostly flat roads with minimal undulations, I prefer to use a Petrol Powered Vehicle all the way. However, my caveat comes with slopes or fully loaded vehicles (4 pax or more with luggage for sedans or 6 pax or more with luggage for SUVs) then I'd personally choose diesel because of the available torque down low. The effect of the added load and change in terrain would not affect the FC/performance too much with the current turbo diesels we have. But if you use Petrol in the same scenario, your FC will greatly suffer (but if you have a v6 or larger petrol engine then you'd already have that inherent FC penalty so dropping to 4km/l or 5km/l from 6km/l or 7km/l isn't that big a hit in my opinion)

But in the city, the stop and go traffic is not that ideal for diesels. You could find a good stretch of road in the weekend though to perform an "italian tuneup" for petrol or diesel so it won't be that big a deal if this is part of your regular routine.

Just remembered for the TS, if you are going with any diesel option, please note and check if the timing belt has been replaced. Mitsubishi (Quezon Avenue) recommends between 70k to 90k kms to replace it or 7 or 8 years for the Montero.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Fortuner or Montero Gas, good luck. naranasan ko na umakyat ng bagyo ng 3 full tank , 1 full tank papunta, 1 full tank for a 4 night stay in John Hay Session Road Baguio, 1 full tank pauwi.

It's a v6 explorer, just about the same siguro with those old Fortuner/ Montero gas, same size body.

3 full tank at P3K++. = 9K++, putsa dalwang 2 nights stay na hotel yun

8. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    Malayo pala sa plano, then her opinion on what car to choose doesnt have to matter at this point. Bilhin mo ang gusto mo.

Ibang usapan syempre kung pera nya gagamitin mo.

Nung di pa ko kasal, whenever i buy cars, i buy what i want. Nevermind ano sabihin ni gf and her opinion dont count (kahit kulay wala sya magawa, di nya naman pera and di naman kami kasal). When we got married, sya nagdecide ano bibilhin. Taga bayad na lang ako

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
    I like your point boss. Now Im highly considering an innova na.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2019
    I think you should buy a fortuner

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bakit fortuner, e comfort nga isa sa requirements nya? Lawlaw-suso gf nya after 6 months sa tagtag ng ride.

I'd recommend a 2011/12 montero or strada 4x2. Just change the wheels to one with a wider stance kasi nasa baguio ka, iwas taob sa marcos hiway lalo pag pababa.

Santa fe 2010/11? May dpf na yan. Stop and go traffic in baguio will kill the dpf, unless of course you take it down to the lowlands for some spirited runs every month. Baka maisipan mo pa shell fuelsave o petron dieselmax lagi ang karga nakow pow kawawa nasa likod mo pag nagregenerate ang dpf, kung di pa nasira. Maselan santa fe sa fuel, caltex or unioil lang. Pag shell or petron ayaw sa mura gusto sa mahal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast