New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hello guys, Hope you are all doing well.I need your help!

I'm going to buy a car next month and this will be my first car. I'm also a newbie driver.. getting my non pro license after the holy week after my 10-hour driving lesson Below are my choices na ok sa budget. I'll be using the car going to office - house - school.

1. Hyundai i10
    2. Toyota Vios
    3. Mitsubishi Lancer GLS`
    4. Nissan Sentra
    5. Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

Until now hindi ko pa rin alam what to buy

Please advise. Thank you in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    one best way to narrow down your choices is to also list down what you're looking for in a car.

Fuel Consumption, Safety(airbags etc), resale value, space/legroom...

then rate them based on their technical specs on paper.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    go for the i10!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    If I were you, I'll not go for the Chevrolet because you'll just have a problem with getting parts when the time comes. If I'll be the one to buy a car, I'll choose the Toyota Vios. It's very fuel efficient. But, basically, it depends on the variant that you'll buy. Vios has various variants. If you'll opt to buy the 1.3j or the 1.3e, you'll enjoy it's fuel efficiency. The downside is that the power that it generates will not satisfy you when the car is full of passengers. Based on what I've read, the 1.5g's fuel consumption is 9-11 kms. per liter. For your information, it's current model has been in the market since 2007.

Aside from Aveo, I'll also not include the Mitsubishi Lancer Gls and Nissan Sentra to my list. The Lancer Gls's body is no longer up to date because of the release of the Lancer EX model last year, if I'm not mistaken. The Nissan Sentra, although it's air condition unit is dependable, is not a good choice as well. It's current model has been in the market since 2004. It's useless to buy a vehicle that will be out of the market soon enough.

If you'll opt to have a Hyundai i10, here is an article from www.autoindustriya.com:
    2008 Hyundai i10 GLS A/TSegment stomper

[SIZE=2]Text: Jude Morte / Photos: Jude Morte, Vince ****elos[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Hyundai’s recent “Invasion 2.0” marketing campaign pertains to the arrival of the Korean marque’s new passenger cars, including the i30 compact car and the Genesis saloon. But the highlight of the aforementioned campaign was its i10 supersubcompact, purpose-built to go head to head against the Kia Picanto, the Suzuki Alto, the Chevrolet Spark and the Chery QQ3, all fuel efficient, city-only, good-first-car vehicles. Is it a mere option, or can it become a top-of-mind choice? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The outside is more of a taller, wider, and meaner Kia Picanto. The angled headlights, small upper front grille and big lower front [/SIZE][SIZE=2]grille[/SIZE][SIZE=2] make the car [/SIZE][SIZE=2]look like it’s gonna eat the opposition 24/7. On the other hand the rear seems tall, highlighted by vertically placed trapezoidal tailights and a middle shin-level flat black rear bumper stripe. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]A sense of tall ride height permeates the cabin, as the high roofline and the wide front windshield makes for a commanding view of traffic. The actual width of the vehicle (1,595 mm) also creates to the faux SUV ride, as occupants won’t find themselves literally rubbing elbows with each other. Unfortunately, just like other super subcompact cars, if those in front are six footers there’s barely room for one in the rear. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]On the other hand it has a bevy of features, including an external MP3 player jack (great for those with iPods), an unusual place for front seat backrest adjustment (they’re at the inner parts of the front seats, closer to the handbrake) and a storage undertray below the front passenger seat. The predominantly khaki inside colorway is a welcome relief from the common black/dark gray interiors of its competition - with black and silver inserts tastefully applied – evoking a feeling of warm relaxation, not hurried tension. Fit and finish is topnotch for its class, with nothing out of place save for a small storage bin under the aircon controls and the rev counter/fuel/temperature gauge layout. It would be nice if the black-on-white speedometer layout (plus larger fronts) would be carried over to the aforementioned gauges for symmetry. Also, the interface of the JVC head unit that came with the test unit has a miniscule volume knob and button fonts. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The i10 provided for this test drive (a P578,000 1.1L GLS A/T) is more suited for getting off the line quickly than outright pace, with a relatively wide bottom end and a narrow top end. However, the a/t’s tall gearing makes emergency lane changes difficult (scary even), and more often than not you fall out of the powerband. It’s scary trying to overtake with this car, especially on inclines. Then again, the car is a Metro Manila maven meant to provide a relaxing drive in traffic. The results reinforce the i10’s branding – a 155 kph top speed and 17.33 km/l on five days of mixed driving. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Despite the tall height (1,540 mm), it’s surprisingly stable on turns. There’s little body roll, rarely succumbing to mid-corner bumps and heaves and traction breaking at 65-70 kph. Also surprising is the ride comfort, given the 5.0J x 14-inch steel wheels and Hankook Optimo K715 165/60R14 tires. Steering is light in feel but numbing in feedback, typical of vehicles with small wheels and tires (read 12-14 inches in diameter). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]If there’s one glaring weakness with the i10, it would be its safety features. The brakes display a lot of fade; you have to push the brake pedal millimeters close to the floor to get decent bite, and handbrake grip is decent at only 35 degrees. There’s no “handbrake activated” warning light within the gauge cluster, too. The exterior lighting is decent, but the foglight activation switch is hard to find. It’s actually under the leftmost aircon vent, parallel to the driver’s left knee. There’s an airbag for the driver, but there’s no ABS. There’s a light that indicates that the handbrake is on, but when you pull up the handbrake, the light doesn’t activate. You push on the driver’s side power-assisted lock tab to secure all four doors, and pull on the aforementioned tab to unlock the doors. The side mirrors have lateral vision up to the middle of the second lane of sight on both flanks, but its manual adjustment levers have very limited range. Far better for the side mirrors to tote power-assisted adjustment instead and thus increase the vehicle’s retail price. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The Hyundai i10 may have some serious safety and performance problems, but its relaxing interior ambience, storage ability and cool features give it more than an edge over the competition. In fact it stomps its rivals big time. [/SIZE]

In order to know your possible monthly amortization, it would be advisable to visit these websites should you include Vios or Lancer to your list: www.toyota.com.ph and www.mitsubishi-motors.com.ph. Both websites have financial calculators.
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Finally, if I'll be the one to buy a car, I'll choose the i10 or Vios. Good day and may God bless your decision.[/SIZE]

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    What's your other criteria? And from among these, you top-most priorities?

For the time-being, here's I do not like from each:

1. Hyundai i10 - It's really small.

2. Toyota Vios - Very spartan interior.

3. Mitsubishi Lancer GLS`- Not as fuel efficient as the others in the list.

4. Nissan Sentra - Old design.

5. Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Expensive parts, after-sales service and maintenance.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSmile View Post

I'm going to buy a car next month and this will be my first car. I'm also a newbie driver.. getting my non pro license after the holy week after my 10-hour driving lesson Below are my choices na ok sa budget. I'll be using the car going to office - house - school.

1. Hyundai i10
    2. Toyota Vios
    4. Nissan Sentra

- whats your budget?
    - AT or MT?
    - is fuel efficiency important to you?
    - is resale value important to you?
    - how many passengers will you be loading everyday?

paki-narrow down as previously stated.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSmile View Post

1. Hyundai i10
    2. Toyota Vios
    4. Nissan Sentra

If Im in your shoe, Ill narrow it to Lancer GLS and Vios? Why?

1. Hyundai i10 - Cute, FC is excellent, but space, not quite good.
    2. Sentra - Not so good in terms of security, entry level has no airbags, but excellent airconditioning.
    3. Aveo - No need to explain

These three have low resale value compared to Lancer and Toyota.

Now on my two options Vios and Lancer. GLS which is CVT costs 745,000 with 50K discount, Vios 1.5G is 740,000 while the AT is 775,000. I think they have 30k discount. If you're more concerned with the FC, go for the 1.3 variant. But if you want a more confortable city driving with better FC, go for the CVT version of Mitsubishi. I like more the looks of Lancer compared to Vios, though its not the latest one. Maintenance wise, I think its almost the same.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Oh, by the way, Lancer has dual airbags already.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Not sure what the budget is sounds like from P600,000 to P650,000. Personally, I'd go with the Vios but the A/T version is only available on the 1.5l model. The main reason is really resale value and the availability (and not too expensive) of spare parts. Also, you can almost always be sure that 3rd party mechanics will be able to service your vehicle.

If you're not to finicky about power everything, the new Honda City A is near this price range too.

If you're thinking of financing, check out the car buying experiences in the forums or my blog

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Toyota vios

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Buying my first car