New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Bro, with respect, we have to start somewhere. The regime ruling them is getting out of hand.

This is a good summary of what the regime has done so far with our money.

Already some manufacturers are pivoting away from China to have more secure and stable manufacturing. We should do what we can. A series of small steps, if done by many will hit them where it hurts most.
    In this regard, it's the manufacturers that have to pivot away from China as the consumer really has little say in it.

With the current human malware, plus the tariffs, they have started to shift/diversify where they source their products or have their factories. But, it is just taking a bit of time. China will still most likely be part of their supply chain, but will have a reduced role to play.

But, that also begs the question, will that product be able to compete in the marketplace when it is up against the "mostly china sourced part supply chain" product?

And if we do manage to beef up our manufacturing instead of just being a raw material exporter and we somehow manage to out the next tier of the supply chain (at least), would there be any takers in the global market?

I know we have semicon but that also relies on first exporting the raw material to china or elsewhere for processing before being imported back in to complete the IC. Just to name an example.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    In this regard, it's the manufacturers that have to pivot away from China as the consumer really has little say in it.

With the current human malware, plus the tariffs, they have started to shift/diversify where they source their products or have their factories. But, it is just taking a bit of time. China will still most likely be part of their supply chain, but will have a reduced role to play.

But, that also begs the question, will that product be able to compete in the marketplace when it is up against the "mostly china sourced part supply chain" product?

And if we do manage to beef up our manufacturing instead of just being a raw material exporter and we somehow manage to out the next tier of the supply chain (at least), would there be any takers in the global market?

I know we have semicon but that also relies on first exporting the raw material to china or elsewhere for processing before being imported back in to complete the IC. Just to name an example.
    We can only do what we can. Buy the alternatives made elsewhere. If we have to buy China made at least buy from the parent company that is based elsewhere.

For phones for example. Stick to Samsung.

Where are Samsung phones made? It's not where you think - SamMobile

Second choice would be Apple. Still made in China but at least it is an American company.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    +1, change starts within. Living legend pala yan si Rancho of 3-idiots.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Bro, with respect, we have to start somewhere. The regime ruling them is getting out of hand.

This is a good summary of what the regime has done so far with our money.

Already some manufacturers are pivoting away from China to have more secure and stable manufacturing. We should do what we can. A series of small steps, if done by many will hit them where it hurts most.
    Preaching to the choir brother - I feel as strongly against China's rise to world dominance as you and many other people do.

I just feel that trying to hurt them economically by boycotting their products is about as effective as using metal straws to solve our plastic problem (hint: it doesn't, at least not in a significant way).

Pragmatically I always look at 80-for-20 because my effort is better used for more productive things. Boycotting Made in China items doesn't have that impact.

This is for the Indian context which has strong anti-China sentiment these days because of their border disputes, but applies to us as well:
    'Boycott Chinese Products'? Here Is Why It Will Not Be Easy

That said, I don't have much Chinese-branded stuff because I think they're not as well-made - i.e. I decide the brand of my things based on their tangible impact to me rather than an abstract sense of patriotism that ultimately has no impact to the country we want to reign in. My phone is Samsung, my cars are Japanese, my appliances are mostly Japanese (but double-clicking you'd find that many of them are still made in China).

My only Chinese-branded appliances are my Xiaomi vacuum cleaner (the other option is Anker which is also Chinese), my digital weighing scale, and my DJI Osmo Mobile (again no non-Chinese options).

What has a bigger impact? Trade policy. Government alignment. Even if all 100M Filipinos decide to buy non-Chinese products (very expensive and impossible for most) it cannot compensate for Government's lackadaisical stance on our territorial disputes, non-taxed POGO operations, and hard pivot towards China.

But again being pragmatic about it, there's nothing any of us can do to stop China's eventual rise as the ultimate world superpower. Not even the US has been able to stop it - only a world war can shift the balance of power now. It will be very costly on all fronts.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    kung tayo lang, no effect.
    but if the rest of the world...
    definitely.
    unfortunately, the latter is unlikely, as we-the-world have grown accustomed to the cheap china product. it will take significant effort to go against the ...easier way.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    kung tayo lang, no effect.
    but if the rest of the world...
    definitely.
    unfortunately, the latter is unlikely, as we-the-world have grown accustomed to the cheap china product. it will take significant effort to go against the ...easier way.
    Hence the US-China trade war.

The US - China Trade War Explained in One Minute: Causes/Reasons, United States Tariffs, etc. - YouTube

US nga na economic superpower hindi mapigilan China no matter how they try. Tayo pa kaya.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    thinking long-term for a country's population, might not be very popular.
    it has to be a national, nay, global concern, fully supported by the world population, so that whoever sits on the thrones, will not deviate from the original plan.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Hello, TS. Isa dati sa pinagpipilian namin ay yung Geely Coolray kasi sobrang ganda ng itsura at ng tech niya. Hindi kami tumuloy sa Geely kasi (1) First car namin ito kaya ang gusto namin ay reliable. Kung ibebenta naman namin kasi ito, after 10 years pa. (2) Every year may pumupunta sa amin na kamag-anak kaya kailangan namin ng 7 seaters na sasakyan. (3) As much as possible, gusto namin limitahan yung pagbili ng Chinese products.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Japan has earmarked $2.2 billion of its record economic stimulus package to help its manufacturers shift production out of China as the coronavirus disrupts supply chains between the major trading partners.

Japan to Fund Firms to Shift Production Out of China

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast