New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    The fact na she's still saving up for the 20% downpayment says that she can't afford to own a brand new car.

Please show her this article.

5 Mistakes You Can’t Afford to Make When Buying a Car

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    imho mas ok kung bibili nalang siya ng 2nd hand car sir. bukod sa mas affordable, siguradong paminsan-minsan magagasgas/mababangga niya yung kotse kasi first time niyang magkakaroon eh. tsaka mabibigay naman ng used car yung security at comfort na gusto niya. magpasama nalang siya sa marunong sa sasakyan pag titingin siya

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    naku, wag muna bibili kung medyo alanganin pa ang pambili, siya rin mahihirapan lang siya at the end, ipon muna ng malalaking halaga pang D/P, tiis-tiis muna sa pagcocommute, meron nga iba dyan may kotse na, nagcocommute pa e, sa mahal pa ng gasolina ngayon.

--
    pero kung kating-kati na talaga siya bumili e, mag-Chery QQ na lang siya,Suzuki Alto, o kaya Chana Benni

--EDIT
    Last edited by zap.FREEDOM; February 17th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    With the premise that she needs to save up more before acquiring a vehicle.
    How much is a safe amount for her to have as back-up funds + 20 / 30% down of a 600k bnew car?
    ---
    The second hand route is something that she should study as well. Hope she gets convinced its still safe to buy one with a trusted mechanic.

What is a safe year / model with a decent price you can recommend? GH's idea of a 2nd hand car sounds good.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by malcoxx View Post
    How much is a safe amount for her to have as back-up funds + 20 / 30% down of a 600k bnew car?
    ---
    The second hand route is something that she should study as well. Hope she gets convinced its still safe to buy one with a trusted mechanic.

What is a safe year / model with a decent price you can recommend? GH's idea of a 2nd hand car sounds good.
    Safe year?? Kahit anong year but put EMPHASIS on VEHICLE CONDITION

Model? Since newbie siya, go for Toyota, Honda, Nissan or Mitsubishi. Hyundai, Kia, Ford, or Mazda are good ones also

Model with a decent price:
    - Corolla Altis 1.6 (2001-2004)
    - Sentra Exalta (2001-2003) - I advise her don't go with the feature loaded ones
    - City (yung unang labas) - don't go with CVT ones para iwas headache
    - Hyundai Matrix
    - Kia Picanto
    - Honda Jazz (2004-2008) - same comment with the City
    - Vios

Basta too many to mention. But I suggest to go with a common car.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    people who know next to nothing about cars, will naturally want a brand new car... will insist on a new car! i have experienced car breakdown at night with my ex-taxi of a car, so i know how terrifying the feeling is... (ok ok.. it wasn't terrifying. i saw it as a challenge. actually, i was more angered than terrified. angered because i suckered myself into buying it.. all the signs were there..)
    my first question is, how much can this car-owner-to-be, realistically afford to spend monthly?
    gas alone, i estimate she'll have to spend 3300 bucks monthly (or 39,600 bucks a year). then, one oil change a year, that's 1,500 a year. then the annual rehistro, that's 2000 bucks. car insurance, 20K.. (tpl lang ako; nobody wants to insure my 15 year old car.)... then, there's the monthly car payments. magkano... 15K? 20K?... by gosh! she'll have to learn how to eat cardboard...
    hija, get a used car na lang... marami diyan for less than half the price of a brand new car.. mas mababa pa ang depreciation..
    the guys in tsikot.com can sell you his own used but babied car, or refer you to an acquaintance selling his used but uber-reliable car.. and also to an honest repair shop for your repair needs. don't worry. modern cars don't break down too often anymore. and the money you saved vis a vis buying that new car, can be put to good use for repairs.
    now, am i allowed to mentioned the car refered to by some, as "boringly reliable"?..
    Last edited by dr. d; February 18th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Second hand car that has a good history and was well taken cared of by its owner is the best alternative for your friend TS.
    Getting a bnew car is like having another baby, gagastos at gagastusan mo sya sa ayaw at sa gusto mo.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Guy View Post
    Second hand car that has a good history and was well taken cared of by its owner is the best alternative for your friend TS.
    Getting a bnew car is like having another baby, gagastos at gagastusan mo sya sa ayaw at sa gusto mo.
    actually, buying a car is like having a baby that refuses to grow up. puro gastos.. puro gastos.. hindi na lumaki-laki at matutong magtrabaho.. heh heh.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by malcoxx View Post
    ---

Simplify your choices to conservative options.

Toyota Vios (first gen)
    Toyota Corolla (late 90s to 04)
    Nissan Sentra (late 90s to 04)

The Vios, you can buy under P300K. The Corolla & Sentra units can be purchased under P200K for year models before 2000. Generally I would prefer to recommending not to buy second hand cars that are 10 years & over but some of us might not have that option. Best to have a mechanic with you to check the car over to estimate it's condition and advise you if it's a good purchase or not.

Then allocate around 10% to 15% of the car's purchase price for repairs and replacements. I suggest to let a car repair shop give the car a once over to list down the critical repairs needed. Generally it shouldn't be expensive if the mechanic did the pre-purchase inspection correctly.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    the fact that she's still saving for the 20% down screams CAN'T AFFORD IT
    +1

Get a pre-owned car na lang. Bili na lang siya ng magandang bag at second hand na car kung gusto niya mag mukhang sosyal.

And the fact na hindi siya mabigyan ng company car means na she is disposable.
    Last edited by GTS925; February 18th, 2012 at 02:08 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
To BUY or NOT to BUY a Car