New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Those had bad valve-springs. There were cases where the engine conked or caught fire post-recall. Check w/ the dealership that performed the recall & verify powertrain warranty on the work involved.
    This Scion FR-S Went Up in Flames After Doing the Valve Spring Recall - The Drive
    Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ Owners Claim a Recall Fix Is Destroying Their Engines - The Drive
    Not just the 86 & BRZ..Impreza & XV, too.
    Saga's ongoing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Kath_Tzikot View Post
    Hi guys,
    Planning on getting a used 86/brz or wrx and will be using as a sunday car. Kamusta PMS cost nitong dalawa if outside casa ipapaservice like motech? alin ba ang mas reliable? kamusta kaya mga presyo ng wear-and-tear parts nito? i like the wrx since praktikal sya, 4door and ung rumble sound<3 pero nagwoworry ako sa magiging PMS. Currently own a 2016 altis and around 4-5k lang gastos ko every PMS. Salamat mga boss!
    Buy the 86. It’s a looker compared to the WRX. You can mod the exhaust if you don’t like the sound. Don’t worry about the PMS because it is like an Altis plus it is only a weekend car. That car is a sure shag. Getting a ride like this, though pre-owned, logic isn’t a factor at all. Never listen to self-limiting beliefs. Remember it is your happiness that matters not somebody else. It is your money. At this stage, if you’re already driving an Altis, you must be hard working (or your parents are), which is a recipe for success. By the time you can afford, you’ll ditch that 86 and I am confident you’ll be driving an Aventador, if not a Chiron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc21420 View Post
    Buy the 86. It’s a looker compared to the WRX. You can mod the exhaust if you don’t like the sound. Don’t worry about the PMS because it is like an Altis plus it is only a weekend car. That car is a sure shag. Getting a ride like this, though pre-owned, logic isn’t a factor at all. Never listen to self-limiting beliefs. Remember it is your happiness that matters not somebody else. It is your money. At this stage, if you’re already driving an Altis, you must be hard working (or your parents are), which is a recipe for success. By the time you can afford, you’ll ditch that 86 and I am confident you’ll be driving an Aventador, if not a Chiron.

I don't quite care for the aesthetics of either....but I'd lean towards the simpler RWD/NA 86 over the Rex. And should he opt auto, the 86 isn't CVT. Triple win!BRZ/86 PMS Cost vs. WRX PMS costSoon, cars like this will be a rarity in our market.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006

... DonÂ’t worry about the PMS because it is like an Altis ...

This is a sure recipe for disaster. If you think you can just bring a BRZ to any shop for PMS, it's either you don't read the manual or you can't tell the difference between the two.

The Altis, like any econobox, is FWD while the BRZ is RWD. Engine mounting is different, not to mention that the BRZ uses a boxer engine as compared to the usual inline-4 of the Altis. The BRZ has a differential to transmit power to the rear wheels from the engine and tranny unlike a FWD car where drive shafts connect directly to the front wheels.

Bring a car with a boxer engine to any ordinary shop and they would have no idea how to change plugs on that sucker. We don't even have to go down to the fluids where the FA20 NA engine of the BRZ requires specific FS oils unlike the Altis where you have the option to use mineral oil.

I don't quite care for the aesthetics of either....but I'd lean towards the simpler RWD/NA 86 over the Rex. And should he opt auto, the 86 isn't CVT. Triple win!BRZ/86 PMS Cost vs. WRX PMS costSoon, cars like this will be a rarity in our market.

The BRZ has an AT tranny option also but Motor Image is saying that more MTs are sold for the BRZ. The BRZ has a stiffer suspension setup compared to the 86 thus it handles better on the track.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 20th, 2020 at 10:25 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    This is a sure recipe for disaster. If you think you can just bring a BRZ to any shop for PMS, it's either you don't read the manual or you can't tell the difference between the two.

The Altis, like any econobox, is FWD while the BRZ is RWD. Engine mounting is different, not to mention that the BRZ uses a boxer engine as compared to the usual inline-4 of the Altis. The BRZ has a differential to transmit power to the rear wheels from the engine and tranny unlike a FWD car where drive shafts connect directly to the front wheels.

Bring a car with a boxer engine to any ordinary shop and they would have no idea how to change plugs on that sucker. We don't even have to go down to the fluids where the FA20 NA engine of the BRZ requires specific FS oils unlike the Altis where you have the option to use mineral oil.

The BRZ has an AT tranny option also but Motor Image is saying that more MTs are sold for the BRZ. The BRZ has a stiffer suspension setup compared to the 86 thus it handles better on the track.
    Totally agree w/ all points, bai. Suspension, I won't worry too much about. Enthusiasts would still tweak em. My bud who has an MX5 loved its stock setup, yet Ohlins still pulled him in for even more love. Haha.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Nah! You’re mistaking a few number of trees for the entire forest. He said that he is spending 4k or something on the Altis every PMS. Don’t tell me he will spend for the 86 double that amount which he will use only on weekends. The 86 first came out in the late 2011 or early 2012 so there are so many shops who aren’t ignorant about it anymore. Nobody here has monopoly of knowledge over cars.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2020

If it doesn’t matter to you, it does to me. I always think the 86 is the little sibling of the Supra.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Nah! You’re mistaking a few number of trees for the entire forest. He said that he is spending 4k or something on the Altis every PMS. Don’t tell me he will spend for the 86 double that amount which he will use only on weekends. The 86 first came out in the late 2011 or early 2012 so there are so many shops who aren’t ignorant about it anymore. Nobody here has monopoly of knowledge over cars.

I guess you missed the point entirely. Maintenance is not about the year model of the car but the build of the car itself. Also, just because you will use the car only on weekends, that does not mean you will maintain it less.

Do you own a Subaru? I guess not. We don’t bring our Subies to just any shop. The 86 is practically a Subie. On oil alone, you will need around 6L every change and if you use Motul, you are looking at 4k plus you have to pay for the filter, labor, and some other stuff. You can use a cheaper oil but the fact remains maintenance cost of an 86/BRZ is not going to be as cheap compared to an Altis or Civic.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    I guess you missed the point entirely. Maintenance is not about the year model of the car but the build of the car itself. Also, just because you will use the car only on weekends, that does not mean you will maintain it less.

Do you own a Subaru? I guess not. We don’t bring our Subies to just any shop. The 86 is practically a Subie. On oil alone, you will need around 6L every change and if you use Motul, you are looking at 4k plus you have to pay for the filter, labor, and some other stuff. You can use a cheaper oil but the fact remains maintenance cost of an 86/BRZ is not going to be as cheap compared to an Altis or Civic.

I used to own a Forester XT. I said the 86 came out sometime in the late 2011 or early 2012. (No connection between year model and maintenance whatsoever, and you tell me I missed the point) That’s more or less 8 or 9 years on the road, so there are many shops other than the casa who can maintain it. It is not an Agera. Of course, it goes without saying that if you don’t use it more often, you also get to spend less to maintain that little car. And please don’t lecture me about expenses or cars. I tell you I know my cars. I just want that guy to go after what he wants out of life. That’s all. Not to quarrel with you over petty, mundane things. That’s not my cup of tea, Brother.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I used to own a Forester XT. I said the 86 came out sometime in the late 2011 or early 2012. (No connection between year model and maintenance whatsoever, and you tell me I missed the point) That’s more or less 8 or 9 years on the road, so there are many shops other than the casa who can maintain it. It is not an Agera. Of course, it goes without saying that if you don’t use it more often, you also get to spend less to maintain that little car. And please don’t lecture me about expenses or cars. I tell you I know my cars. I just want that guy to go after what he wants out of life. That’s all. Not to quarrel with you over petty, mundane things. That’s not my cup of tea, Brother.

I did not say casa only but as a fellow Subie owner, we don't bring our cars to Motech or Rapide. There is a reason why we bring our Subies to shops who know how to service them properly (FusionR, 2211, etc). I am just sharing with the TS what to expect in terms of maintenance and the cost will not be the same as a FWD econobox.

He can get whatever car he wants as long as he has the pockets to buy and maintain it. The last thing you want from a car is a garage queen doomed to run for a few miles as the owner is afraid to spend for maintenance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast