New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    parts are abundant and i never had to wait (like, we need to order parts and wait for 3 weeks), CASA and even outside of CASA...

i had a harder time with Honda before, and the hardest with Ford.

Price (maintenance) is cheaper than a Honda (and Im just talking about a Civic of the same era)
    Casa to Casa comparison.

I am NOT complaining that Honda (or Ford) is Expensive (which is relative). its just my experience

If you think about it, there are still many old Camrys around, and most of the time, its a service car for the family... reliable and easy to get parts, CASA or not.... for some 5Km/L is okay, you will also get the same mileage in an Accord, Rav4 or basically any 2.4 liter engine.

dapat lang alam ang pinapasukan, so 5Km/L in Traffic is acceptable, im actually more concerned with the size... but if you have driver, the best as a passenger for a sedan

2. Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
    This is a segway from my other thread (Altis 1.6) as I am mainly expanding on my choices (max 400k budget) mainly:

Altis (08-12) - Old but reliable, parts availability, T-badge
    Camry (Pre-2012) - cheap second hand because of low resale value, Comfort/luxury, T-badge
    Mirage - Fuel economy, parts availability
    Vios - (Pre-2014) - same as Altis
    Ciaz - Fuel economy, comfort, elegant design, cheap second hand

Its going to be a coding car, but mainly used by my father so comfort is a priority. A/T is a must. Bumper-to-bumper traffic from Marikina to Quezon avenue twice to thrice a week.

I've been looking at Altises and Camrys and I'm still deliberating whether to buy an old but reliable workhorse or buy something newer like a second-hand Mirage/Ciaz with Low miles. Since a 10 year old car is still a 10 year old car, vs a 2 or 3 year old second hand car.

Cheapest option right now is the Altis and Mirage around 300k option. But most of the second hand options I've seen were used heavily as daily drivers. Hard to find a reasonably low mileage/low wear-and-tear unit. Same as Vios.

Older Camrys are easier to find low mileage/low usage. But I am still not familiar with the maintenance costs and parts availability of these units.

Ciaz - since its a low resale value car, I'm able to find a 400k 2017 model with 15k kms or less. It shares its engine with the Ertiga and Swift and the 1.4 K14B engine is one of the most fuel efficient, rivals the Mirage's 3-cylinder engine. Has no glaring weakness according sa Team-BHP forums. Main downside should be parts availability of Suzuki. But then again, I have a 10 year old Celerio that is nothing but fun to drive and reliable. Parts are cheap sa casa so I am aware of the costs of Suzuki ownership.

Inputs appreciated.
    For me, Altis boss. Parts were available. You will not use it as daily car naman so hindi rin bugbog. Better din naman sa comfort since also sedan. Less resale value. Gas (not very much an issue since hindi naman daily car). Front view were also not much difficult.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Escape101 View Post
    For me, Altis boss. Parts were available. You will not use it as daily car naman so hindi rin bugbog. Better din naman sa comfort since also sedan. Less resale value. Gas (not very much an issue since hindi naman daily car). Front view were also not much difficult.
    i have a 2003 altis AT.
    it gives me about 8 km/li in the city. just don't edsa.
    10-12 km/li in slex. but lately, because of the alabang quagmire...
    parts are easy to find.
    mechanics versed with it are also easy to find.
    matibay the car.

my only quip, is the driver's seat. it's for T-34 drivers. "the smaller, the more space available."

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by NiCe2KnowU View Post
    ^ 5km/L Gasolina ni camry, e magkano Naman per parts kapag nasira......50k/ parts ?Best 400k A/T Sedan? Go old (but reliable) or younger model?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
    Yes tama ka sa P50k--if you buy from the casa and have it serviced there.

Pero kung sa labas ka magpapagawa, underchassis parts are cheap, readily available in LVC and Toyirama in Banawe, and Toyosco in Pasay. Almost same lang ang price ng Altis parts of the same era. Toyota pa rin naman yan.

Magkakatalo lang sa maintenance ng V6 models, as you will be purchasing an extra 2 liters of oil, and 2 extra sparkplugs, compared to the 4 cyl models.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    There seems to be this stigma that midsize sedans are extremely expensive to maintain. Expensive to run, yes, because of higher fuel consumption. But maintenance is not really that bad, especially if said midsize sedan is from a mainstream brand. Reliability is just as good as its more common compact and subcompact brethren, if not better. It is still a normally aspirated gasoline engine, just slightly bigger. If the model sold well in the country, parts will be just as easy to find. They're not made of gold, so parts may cost just slightly more. From our experience with the 2005 Accord 2.4 purchased brand new and sold just this year, CRDi's are actually more costly to maintain. The K24 was never touched. Only the engine cooling and A/C systems ever needed servicing, IIRC. The only other items replaced were driver's power window motor, and engine and suspension consumables. All other power amenities were working and original. No tears on the leather despite regularly transporting (small) dogs. Engine is still a terrific soprano and with absolutely no squeaks and rattles from both suspension and interior.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    There seems to be this stigma that midsize sedans are extremely expensive to maintain. Expensive to run, yes, because of higher fuel consumption. But maintenance is not really that bad, especially if said midsize sedan is from a mainstream brand. Reliability is just as good as its more common compact and subcompact brethren, if not better. It is still a normally aspirated gasoline engine, just slightly bigger. If the model sold well in the country, parts will be just as easy to find. They're not made of gold, so parts may cost just slightly more. From our experience with the 2005 Accord 2.4 purchased brand new and sold just this year, CRDi's are actually more costly to maintain. The K24 was never touched. Only the engine cooling and A/C systems ever needed servicing, IIRC. The only other items replaced were driver's power window motor, and engine and suspension consumables. All other power amenities were working and original. No tears on the leather despite regularly transporting (small) dogs. Engine is still a terrific soprano and with absolutely no squeaks and rattles from both suspension and interior.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk
    Midsize sedans tend to be more robust than compacts. They are heavier and thus the need for more durable components. Not to mention that most midsize sedans are global models which appeal more to more industrialised countries.

Mos Pinoys shy away from Asian midsize sedans primarily due to its operating costs (higher fuel consumption). Unless you have a broken engine or tranny, expected costs are related to consumables like tires or suspension bushings or brake pads which are about the same as compacts or CUVs.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Ano gusto ni Dad mo Sir? Personal opinion ko is to get a Camry. Smooth and Comfortable ang ride. Fuel Consumption is okay na sa 5km/l. Small cars din naman like a 2nd Gen Jazz gets 7km/l sa same traffic situation. Maraming well maintained na Camry sa market Sir. Mas mahal pa maintenance ng Fortuner kesa sa Camry, at kasing reliable lang din siya ng Fortuner.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234