New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post
    just my thoughts...

we're a family of 5 - 16, 12, and 8 yrs old. and we were able to live with sedans a few years ago. 5 can fit just right in a sedan. but now we have bigger cars na.

i thought na if you only have one child, it might be more practical to get a sedan muna. and if you need more space in the future, then you can sell it and get another car, mas bago pa.

in my opinion, if you dont really have the immediate need of a big car, its fine to buy a sedan muna because you might get tired rin of your car after a while and you might want to sell it so you can buy a newer one.

well thats just my opinion...
    +1 here. True. Kung lalabas kayo, di mo naman siguro need yung 2 yayas mo. Kaya naman alagaan ng mag-asawa ang isang baby. But kung talagang AUV gusto mo, think think think. Yung unit price na 700K plus, add you bank interest rate for X number of years CF and INSURANCE.

OT: Nung isa pa lang anak ko, pag lumalabas di namin kasama ang yaya. Kaming 3 lang para bonding moments na rin. Gamit ko pa nun lowered na Lancer with subs. Kasya naman kami

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Minadali is a strange term to use for it... maybe he means underdeveloped?

The 1.3 version certainly feels that way... the interior of the 1.3 is very reminiscent of a 1980's taxi cab, in terms of both design and material quality. Tinny, noisy, unrefined. Feels very cheap... but if all you need is basic city transportation, it fits the bill.

The 1.5 is much better... not quite up to Honda interior quality, or even the interior quality of other Toyotas, but it's good enough to feel like a family car and not a taxi special, and it has lots and lots of room inside, even in the third row. It's not my cup of tea, either, but the engine is very good in terms of fuel consumption and response, and I'd certainly consider it over a Suzuki APV (the only other small seven seater on the market that isn't Chinese). I like the looks of the APV better, but the Avanza has a much better engine, better space, a better ride and a better driving position.

Of course, the Avanza is an ASEAN-only design, so that carries the caveat that if you want strong crash protection, you're probably better off with the Vios or a City (5 star car). This can be a concern if you will be doing a lot of highway miles on fast roads with a lot of trucks around... but with the way truckers drive here, you might as well get an armored car!

The choice will all depend on priorities. For a new family with just one kid, I'd go for the sedan... the City will save you in terms of fuel, in terms of maintenance (we have a Honda, and the 10,000 kilometer oil change interval saves you a hell of a lot of time and money at the casa!), and in terms of money lost at resale time (Honda Cities and Jazzes have great resale value... better than even the Civic's!).

Just make sure the seats are okay for you. Some people (me included) find Honda's seats on the hard side. But that's something padded seat-covers will take care of.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Well maybe that's what he meant, underdeveloped, hehehe but may point nga yung comment na workers doesn't care if it's a J or G or whatever when they are assembling. I think I am going for the Avanza 1.5G now. I'm planning to sell it after 3 years anyway. I once was bothered on considering Grand Livina but after reading some 'talks' about complaints on GL, I decided to stick on Avanza G. I'm going to have some test drives next weekend if it fits my comfort and if the pay for my 2nd house (I sold it at 350) arrives, that's the time I'll start talking to three Toyota agents. Good luck to me.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    What are the complaints on the Grand Livina?

The high-end 1.5L Avanza is also okey but the 1.8L Grand Livina is more of a keeper as a "family' vehicle.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Gran Livina is certainly very car-like, and much more refined than the others... and I've heard the 1.8 is a wonderful engine... but it's tiny inside compared to the Avanza...

What complaints, so far?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Grand Livina

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The best choice for you would be a Mitsu Strada. High-powered common-rail diesel, high-riding (Cavite is covered with potholes so this is a must), great crash ratings from Europe and USA agencies so you have higher chances of survival if and when you meet an accident. It's about 855k (lesser if you get discounts) ata but the 910k model is the better choice (immobilizer and airbag). You can put a lot of stuff at the back. It rides like a car so your baby and wife would find long drives comfortable.

If you want a sedan, Accent CRDI would give you the best fuel economy (20-30kms/L).

Ang problema lang sa sedan pag nabangga ka ng SUV or pick-up, you're pretty much in the losing end.

Of course, we don't want to meet an accident and we'd do anything to avoid it but it's always better to have safety measures just in case.

Anyway, make sure to initiate Financing from a bank (BPI, BDO, Chinabank, PSBank, UnionBank) and never in-house! yari ka sa interest pag sa dealer ka mismo kumuha ng financing scheme.

Good luck!

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I would still go for an MPV than a pickup. Iba talaga yung pickup because its much harder to drive for some reason...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I think it would be best for the fellow to test drive Strada first so he'd know if he's ok with it (but I really think there's no reason for him not to love it).

I've driven several pickups (nissan/toyo/mitsu) already and it's nothing new to me as compared to an MPV like Carens/Avanza except for the higher clearance and better absorption of potholes.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Ang problema lang sa sedan pag nabangga ka ng SUV or pick-up, you're pretty much in the losing end.
    Depends on what's crashing into what.

Crash a Civic into one of these ladder-frame SUVs based on pick-ups with Euro-NCAP scores of 3 or lower and it's a fair-bet that the Civic driver will be the one with less injuries.

And it's not very common to crash into a pick-up or SUV. Most accidents out here are where you're either rear-ended by a bus or truck or smack head-on into one that's jumped the lane divider. As many recent crashes have shown, no matter how big or "safe" your vehicle, when you go up against a truck, you lose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AUV/SUV or simple car?