New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    OT: grabe 2008 pa pala ako nag register tapos today lang ako nag post hehe. need ko kasi ng sasakyan kaya bigla kong need mag research.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Don't buy a 2nd hand car especially kung wala ka pang alam sa mga kotse. Buy a brand new Hyundai/Kia (that's what I did). The 5 year warranty helps especially when you're just starting to learn the ropes with regards to driving and car maintenance.

di ako magaling sa sasakyan (pareho tayo, dito ako natututo sa mga bros at sis nating car enthusiasts...thanks to tsikot talaga!) at madami akong nababasa sa mga nabahang sasakyan.

nilagay nga nila, kahit na napalitan na yung ibang parts, there is no assurance na maganda na ang takbo. may bigla na lang susulpot na sira in the near future.....

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi guys, would just like to share my experience re: buying a 2nd hand or bnew car.

More than two years ago na when we realized that we needed a 2nd car. The wife and I both work and we both need to manage our time. Commuting just take too much of our time. At that time we have a 2yr old minivan which we both love since wala syang sakit ng ulo. We had a Suzuki APV and since we have good experience owning a Suzuki, we decided to wait for the Suzuki Celerio. A few months later lumabas na sya and we got a quotation of P108k+ DP * 11k+ per month for 5years. Idagdag pa natin PMS nya every 3mos and we're looking at almost P150k annually, wala pa dyan DP namin. We maximized our options by looking at 2nd hand cars. We saw a 1997 Suzuki Esteem wagon with 84k kms on 17" rollers which at that time is about 11yrs old na. We have 3 kids by the way. Mas malaki cargo area ng Esteem plus it shares the same engine as the APV which we have learned to love. The Esteem sells for P170k and I could tell na wala kaming magiging problema dito mechanically except for the suspension since "putol" spring nya. I gather that an H&R spring sells for P15k installed so we're looking at an estimate of about P30k worth of suspension repairs plus the normal cost of having a car road-worthy. Needless to say, we went with the Esteem. We were actually off by 100% sa estimate namin since medyo madami rin akong naidagdag na accesories... we spent a total of P60k fixing the suspension plus yung mga usual na gastos (i.e. change all filters, PMS, change brake/radiator/gear fluid) at accessories. Di lang kasi springs ang napalitan namin, damay pati dampers (replaced with KYB excel G's), stab links (front and rear), tie rod, cv boots, etc. at syempre may mga accessories na nadagdag like sounds setup, car mats, alarm, HIDs, momo steering wheel, sports pedals, interior/exterior LED lightings, etc. Ngayon buo na ang tunog nya sa mga road irregularities PLUS, na-modify ko pa yung ibang parts na magpapa-void ng warranty if sa bnew ko gagawin. It's been more than a year now and nasa P230k pa lang gastos ko compared to P253 if bnew (P108k DP, P155k mo ammortization plus PMS every 3mos. - mga 6X na to since a year and a half na). Except for the usual PMS, I would like to think na wala na akong gagastusin (SANA!)... so mga more or less P15k na lang sya annually (P3k X 4 and a leeway of another P3k) from now on compared to P150k sa bnew (monthly plus an estimated PMS cost of P3k quarterly). Syempre mas matipid din sa gas ang Celerio. Our Esteem runs on about 10km/l compared to 17km/l daw sa Celerio. Pero 11kms lang naman ofc ko 1-way.

In conclusion, mas maganda ang 2nd hand cars if mahilig kang mag-modify, fixed or limited ang budget mo and you have the basic knowledge on how to maintain 2nd hand cars.

Advantage ng bnew cars are wala daw sakit sa ulo (wala pa naman din akong sakit sa ulo sa 2nd hand car ko), casa after sale support (dabatable), warranty at syempre ang prestige in owning one.

BTW, wala pa rin kaming sakit ng ulo sa 5yr old APV namin.

Remember, wala naman kasing magbebenta ng kotse if in perfect running condition sya so you have to allot an extra amount for repairs.

If money is not an option then bakit ka pa magiisip mag-2nd hand... personally kasi, uunahin ko na tuition ng mga anak ko kesa mag-monthly sa bnew car.

HTH.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    nice insights there macky. thanks.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hi!

Generally speaking, I'd go for a second hand car, if i were you ...

But because of the ondoy factor ... I'd be wary of 2nd hand cars being sold in the market ...

Even kasi mga mekaniko say that they cannot spot 100% if a car has been submerged during the ondoy flood.

But first, if I take the ondoy factor out of the picture ... here are a few reasons why I'd pick the 2nd hand car over a brand new one.

1. It's much cheaper .. obviously ... hehehe. It'd be more practical since budget is an issue. Btw, I'd get a Toyota. Mura and madami ang parts.

2. mas hindi masakit kung magasgas or mabangga since newbie driver ka, it can and will happen. In my case, a small stone flew from the wheels of a truck and made a small crack on my windshield within two weeks of my driving the car.

3. Re walang alam sa kotse and repairs .... well, you have to learn auto troubleshooting sooner or later ... you'd rather have a brand new car 10 years later and learn how to maintain the basics rather than depend on the casa for the smallest problem.

4. Re baka maloko sa 2nd hand cars ... you have a valid concern in that baka mabentahan ka ng madaming problem na car. Ask your friends & relatives who have cars, they can help you. They probably have trusted mechanics that they go to. Go to these mechanics and pay them to accompany you to check the condition of 2nd hand cars you are looking at.

5. Re dunno how to maintain ... check the other threads ... there are repair shops out there recommended by fellow tsikoteers ... have them do general check ups for you. That way, you' be kampante.

Just in case you do get a 2nd hand car, some things you need to prepare for :

1. Have a handy mechanic / tow company in your cellphone just in case you break down on the road.

2. Habang bagu-bago ka pa mag drive, drive within city limits where mechanics and repair shops are aplenty. Wag muna mag-baguio.

3. Just in case your car breaks down on the road, be ready with basic tools, flashlight, spare tire and cellphone load.

Anyway, since nandyan right now ang ondoy factor, I'd probably buy only from people (na binebenta ang kotse nila) whom you or your mom trust. It'd take more time and patience pero I think it will be worth it.

Good luck .... let us know what you finally decide on.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Dyan nag kakatalo sa brand new or second hand, when you factor in cost of owner ship and maintenance, plus the business side of interest payments as opposed to investing the money.

If you get a second hand set aside 50K for repairs then plus 50K for set-up para solb ka naman sa ride mo. Anyway since its your first car, its not immediate that you use it agad. You still can set it aside and have it looked at a good shop to make it tip-top. Ask around tsikot which is which to have your car looked at, even car clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by pinknpurple View Post
    Honestly, the reason din why I wanted to buy a 2nd hand car lang sana muna aside from the fear na baka mabangga ko lang agad yung bnew car is the budget din. Medyo nanghihinayang lang kase ako sa ibabayad monthly for a bnew car, sa interest pa lang talo ka na, and we have to pay for it for the next 4 or 5 years if ever. Whereas, if we are to buy that 1994 Honda ESI for let's say P150,000 - P200,000 (which is like almost the same amount we would pay for the DP for the bnew Honda City), wala ng monthly payments after, except lang for the repairs and maintenance din which we all know is costly din talaga.

Sorry kung medyo magulo ha..ganito kase yun. Instead of buying a bnew car, yung mase-save sana dun kung 2nd hand car lang bibilhin namin is ipang-business na lang, at least may income pa kame, unlike kung financing for up to 5 years, puro labas ng money mangyayari, eh we're not that super rich people naman..buying a car is not a want for us but a need lang talaga kaya we wanted to buy na din, but kung saan kame mas makaka-save at magiging mas comfortable sana (with either bnew or 2nd hand) mas okay. So that's my dilemma actually. Kung if buying a 2nd hand car would cost us more dahil masisira lang din agad eventually, di din kame nakasave diba? Or sana kung may makita kame na decent and well-maintained 2nd hand car ok na siguro kaso yun nga, di naman kame marunong tumingin and we don't know of a good mechanic din. So, mahirap talaga magdecide..hope you guys could help me on this. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
2nd hand or bnew car for newbies? pls help.