New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Right, so what exactly does the City VX have that the Altis G doesn't?

More than the spec sheets, the Altis is a class higher. As a compact, it inherently has more width, resulting in better elbow room (unlike the City which is all about legroom alone). Also, the Altis' engine is much peppier than the City's, despite paper specs showing only a 2 hp difference. That silly touch screen aircon for the City is much clunkier too use than the tactile auto climate control buttons of the Altis. The Altis is also as fuel efficient than the City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Altis fuel effecient than city?? Eh pareho lng ng city and jazz sa makina.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Altis G over City VX anytime. Toyota offers 40k discounts so price is just the same - why get a subcompact when you can get a compact for the same amount of money?

+1.. sarap i drive ng Altis.. super smooth ng takbo.. though di ko ma compare sa city kse di pa ako naka drive bagong city..

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrklouis View Post
    Yup. With a 1.6V CVT I get 9 km/L on moderate-heavy traffic city driving and 14 km/L in hataw highway driving. I bet it could do 18 km/L if driven sanely. These are the same figures I get on my Vios 1.3 which is much slower.

Toyota's 1ZR-FE is a good engine, and now with a good CVT you really get great consumption. And unlike the Jazz/City, the Altis feels very torquey at low revs.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    hindi ako henyo sa kotse, pero obviously city over sa altis, keyless, push start, yup touch screen, also un aircon nya halos my similarity sila. yup wider ang altis..thats about it un nakita ko sa kanilang dalawa..

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    You look like the type to buy a car based only on the spec sheets. The Altis has a lot of advantages that don't just come in the form of toys, and fortunately if you actually read the spec sheets, you'll find it there.

As I've said in a previous post, the Altis is wider (1776 mm vs 1695 mm), and it also has a longer wheelbase (2700mm vs 2600mm). Honda's designers did a really good job with the City in terms of maximizing interior space, but the Altis is still the bigger car and feels much roomier inside. From the driver's seat, it feels like you're driving a more upscale vehicle with more on-road presence. As a passenger, you'll appreciate the larger cabin and more comfortable ride. Not in the spec sheets are the car's NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness levels), and in this respect the Altis is top-notch. The new City is much-improved versus the older generation, but still not as good as the Altis from my experience.

Aside from just the space, the larger dimensions of the Altis make it better at absorbing potholes and road imperfections, and more importantly, gives you much better highway driving stability. The City also has skinnier tires (185mm vs the Altis' 205mm). I've driven the current Altis at 160 on the highway and it feels very stable. The previous gen Altis, I've done over 200 kph and it also feels relatively stable. The old City though, even at just 150 kph, feels less composed already. I haven't driven the new City at that speed but it's most likely not as well-planted as the Altis. The only gripe I have with the Altis at that speed is that the steering feels very numb so you have to be careful about your steering inputs. The City isn't a renowned handler, but to be fair it probably gives better steering feedback.

Engine performance is another thing that's worth paying attention to. The City and Altis have similar power outputs, 120 ps for the former and 122 for the latter, but the difference in real-world driving is noticeable. The City is rev-happy and doesn't offer much grunt in lower revs, while the Altis is pretty balanced across the entire rev range. Even the spec sheets hint of this, as the City only achieves its 120ps at 6,600 rpm while the Altis at a lower 6,000 rpm. Also, the Altis has noticeably more torque (154 Nm vs 145 Nm). Both cars' CVTs are pretty good though - very responsive and smart, knowing the right ratio to choose to maximize efficiency or power.

Moving on to what probably excites you most - the toys. The fancy 7" touch screen head unit of the City is an attention-getter, but in real-world use, buttons are much better. A touch screen HU doesn't give you tactile feedback, which makes it more difficult to make adjustments (to your radio AND aircon in the case of the City). The Altis' HU is much more intuitive and the rotary knob functions much like an iPod's click wheel which allows for easy navigation through your playlists. The push-start and keyless entry are also fancy toys to have, but they do get old quickly. Our old Altis was one of the first cars with that feature, and I had loads of fun, but at the end of the day, pressing a button to start the engine isn't any more convenient than twisting a key. The Bluetooth connectivity is probably the most useful toy that the City has that the Altis doesn't - it's something that I got to use a lot with my old car before. Interestingly, while the City has these modern toys to fiddle with, it doesn't even have simple features like an actual temperature gauge. All it has is a light that turns on when your engine is already overheating - no way for you to see the temperature rise gradually unlike in a car with an actual gauge like the Altis. It also doesn't have 60/40 split rear seats, which make it difficult to fit in large cargo such as a flat screen TV.

At the end of the day, there's no doubt that the City is a great subcompact with all the modern gizmos that you need. But it's still a subcompact, a very expensive subcompact. If all you care about are toys, then sure, go for it. But I've experienced first-hand going from a compact to a subcompact and even if my subcompact is newer with modern toys, driving a compact is still a better experience overall. The Altis is priced very competitively (935k with 40k discounts) and that's a good deal that's hard to pass up.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you still see things as pretty even, you might consider the perceived resale value or/and ease of resale.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mrklouis View Post
    So ibig sabihin, kung ang Jazz ay mas efficient sa Altis. . . ang City eh mas efficient din sa Altis kasi parehas ang makina ng City and Jazz?

Im not an expert, pero hindi yata palibhasa parehas ng makina eh parehas na din agad ng FC. Magkaiba ang build ng City and Jazz, sedan and hatch. Maaaring magkaiba sila ng FC kahit parehas ang makina kasi maaring magkaiba sila ng weight, tapos yung mga aerodynamics na design pa, maaaring may factor din yun sa FC

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you just want a daily commuter, then the City E is the way to go. It might look bare but it has almost everything you need except the toys and gizmos of the overpriced VX and VX+ variants. A compact will be a better proposition for something around 900k to 1M and a better option for an all-around family car.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    If it's a daily commuter just to ferry myself and the wife from A to B, I'll choose the city VX. I'm sure I'll enjoy driving that better than the Altis. Those paddleshifters will give you enough confidence in overtaking slower vehicles running along the road. The only thing that made me get my Altis was the space, same leg space as the City but better shoulder/elbow room. It makes my passengers feel more comfortable in a long drive. If I am gonna get a sedan today, I'd still choose the Altis over any other sub 1M car, this is because of the need not necessarily because it beats the competition with it's features and what not.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ How's the response with those paddle shifters coupled with the new CVT in the new City? We have a 2009 City E 1.5L 5-speed AT with the paddle shifters. I never had the confidence to drive aggressively with it as I find Honda's L15 engine to be lacking in punch and the way its suspension behaves at speed, not to mention the boring feel in its steering. The paddle shifters was a bit slow in response though you have the control to rev it higher on a certain gear. Most of the time, I just put in D as driving in S do not offer any significant increase in driving fun.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast