New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    as mention in the title, which to buy? suggestions for alternatives for a 450k budget are also welcome. Thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Focus TDCi for me. A Fiesta is still just a Fiesta.

But take note that both the Fiesta and Focus have Ford's notorious DCT. You can read on the threads here regarding the tranny issues and how expensive it is to have them repaired.

I'd rather go for a 2007 Focus TDCi MT if I was in the secondhand market. If you really want an automatic, get a 2009 Civic FD 1.8S instead. Or perhaps a 2007 Camry.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    600k pa rin ata ang 07 camry. Pass ka muna sa Ford due to the problems sa transmission. Almost bought a tdci focus as a second hand car pero when i researched it was notorious in problems lalo n ang power shift tranny

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Hmmm, ford escape?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Go for the Focus TDCi. It has more power, more torque, and a bit bigger than the Fiesta. The previous gen Focus was a bit cramped inside, more like the previous gen Mazda3 as they share some similarities in their chassis. Since it is a diesel, it is more frugal with fuel but you need to follow maintenance schedules of a turbo diesel. On the performance side, it is one fast compact due to the torque available at low rpm and offers great handling.

In the case of the tranny, both the Fiesta and Focus uses Ford's Powershift dual-clutch transmission. However, the Fiesta uses a dry-clutch DCT while the Focus TDCi uses a wet-clutch DCT. The dry-clutch DCT cannot handle the bigger amount of torque delivered by the 2.0L TDCi engine (320Nm) as it is only used for something with 200Nm like the Fiesta NA, Fiesta Ecoboost, and new Focus petrol. Based on the data we have gathered in FCP, most of the dry-clutch DCT failure were from the Fiesta 2011 and 2012 models. I can check the Focus TDCi threads for details on failure of its wet-clutch DCT tranny.

If you don't want to worry too much about the DCT issues, go for the 2007-2008 Focus TDCi 6MT models. They are cheaper than the 2009-2012 Powershift models. For a budget like 450k, I might also consider the Civic FD 2.0L models as there is not much difference in pricing between the lower end 1.8L models and the TOTL 2.0L models.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    The fiesta was a fun to drive. Same din sa focus pero katulad ng sinabi niyo, concern ko talaga yung DCT. Lalo na nung nabasa ko pa mga horror stories sa FCP forum. Pero nagdadalawang isip pa din ako baka naman swerte makuha kong unit. Hehe. Actually, the 1.8s civic is my 3rd option along with the lancer ex models

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Focus for me.....

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *gaspanic - Any thoughts considering getting a new car instead?