New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Good day!

I am currently in a dilemma, in choosing whether to sell my 2009 Altis 1.6V, for a bigger car, a 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster. (4x2 would suffice, as I don't need the 4x4 and newer Fieldmasters are only available in 4x2).

I have been using the Altis since 2014, all I can say is it's very reliable and has never given me any headaches. Kaya lang I have 2 kids, (5 year old and 2 year old), and it's quite a struggle for us to fit into the Altis, especially with the yaya and at times the lola in tow. I had its dashboard replaced also by Toyota, (as it has the infamous melting dashboard issue). No complaints whatsoever, I just need a bigger car (not just any big car, at least one that would excite me kahit paano), and that brought me to the Pajero.

Regarding the Pajero naman, I've always wanted to have one, especially in euro-spec trim with the RalliArt web rims. Also, it's the nearest in price to my current car, if ever i would sell it, and konti na lang ang idadagdag ko if ever.

Issues that I am aware of, is the aircon, and the 4M40 engine that needs expensive calibration as part of its maintenance.

What are your thoughts on this? To sell a reliable 10 year old sedan for an even older 15 year old SUV?

Thank you in advance!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chon961 View Post
    Good day!

I am currently in a dilemma, in choosing whether to sell my 2009 Altis 1.6V, for a bigger car, a 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster. (4x2 would suffice, as I don't need the 4x4 and newer Fieldmasters are only available in 4x2).

I have been using the Altis since 2014, all I can say is it's very reliable and has never given me any headaches. Kaya lang I have 2 kids, (5 year old and 2 year old), and it's quite a struggle for us to fit into the Altis, especially with the yaya and at times the lola in tow. I had its dashboard replaced also by Toyota, (as it has the infamous melting dashboard issue). No complaints whatsoever, I just need a bigger car (not just any big car, at least one that would excite me kahit paano), and that brought me to the Pajero.

Regarding the Pajero naman, I've always wanted to have one, especially in euro-spec trim with the RalliArt web rims. Also, it's the nearest in price to my current car, if ever i would sell it, and konti na lang ang idadagdag ko if ever.

Issues that I am aware of, is the aircon, and the 4M40 engine that needs expensive calibration as part of its maintenance.

What are your thoughts on this? To sell a reliable 10 year old sedan for an even older 15 year old SUV?

Thank you in advance!
    Since your problem is space, then I suppose you really have to replace your car.

I have nothing against the FM Pajero. Obviously lots of parts, simple to fix, tough as nails. If well maintained, it also still has that timeless appeal.

You mentioned that you don't need 4x4. This opens up the possibility of having vans. The Starex GRX or 2nd gen Carnival can both be had for 300+k, and offers comfortable seating for at least 8 full sized adults plus luggage. A midsize SUV's 3rd row is cramped in comparison anf offers little cargo space left if it is being used.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Are you the first owner of your Altis?

I have nothing against the 15 year old Pajero... Pero (as I always post) depende yan sa previous owner... Iningatan ba?

For a 15 year old diesel vehicle... I will recommend na mag ready ka just in case the fuel injection needs calibration, or possible engine overhaul.

Personally, because of the Pajero's ladder frame, I feel like the body will last longer better than the Altis.

Not sure about the specific Pajero you mentioned... Pero if its a Japan surplus... Then my reply would be different.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Since your problem is space, then I suppose you really have to replace your car.

I have nothing against the FM Pajero. Obviously lots of parts, simple to fix, tough as nails. If well maintained, it also still has that timeless appeal.

You mentioned that you don't need 4x4. This opens up the possibility of having vans. The Starex GRX or 2nd gen Carnival can both be had for 300+k, and offers comfortable seating for at least 8 full sized adults plus luggage. A midsize SUV's 3rd row is cramped in comparison anf offers little cargo space left if it is being used.

Thanks sir!

I wanted a car that can be "modified" sana in the future if the budget allows. 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2 Not a fan of MPV's or vans sir, there are times kasi na ako lang ang nasa auto, pag papasok sa office. I would like to have the adventurer-dad vibe sana with a 4x2 suv 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x22009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Are you the first owner of your Altis?

I have nothing against the 15 year old Pajero... Pero (as I always post) depende yan sa previous owner... Iningatan ba?

For a 15 year old diesel vehicle... I will recommend na mag ready ka just in case the fuel injection needs calibration, or possible engine overhaul.

Personally, because of the Pajero's ladder frame, I feel like the body will last longer better than the Altis.

Not sure about the specific Pajero you mentioned... Pero if its a Japan surplus... Then my reply would be different.
    I am the 2nd owner sir, but it's been with me since 2014, and I was the one who put in majority of the kilometers on it 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2 The car was meticulously maintained since day 1 by the previous owner, and tinuloy ko na din whem I acquired it. Medyo nakakapanghinayang din as it is in very good condition.

Local Pajero FM ang plano ko sana.

Thanks for your insight sir!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chon961 View Post
    Thanks sir!

I wanted a car that can be "modified" sana in the future if the budget allows. 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2 Not a fan of MPV's or vans sir, there are times kasi na ako lang ang nasa auto, pag papasok sa office. I would like to have the adventurer-dad vibe sana with a 4x2 suv 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x22009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2

Oh I see.

Though I have to say that I have somehow modified our 2010 Carnival LX LWB. Got a Unichip Q4 which greatly improved throttle response and engine power (from 145whp to 173whp!). Family loves the van the most for the cavernous luggage space during trips out of town.

If you are concerned about the Pajero's age, I'd suggest you consider the Santa Fe. I drive one alone daily. I can still fit properly in the 3rd row (I am 5"10) if needed. It is vastly more modern than the Pajero in technology and design.

Though I see that the Pajero seems to be some sort of dream car for you. If you have your heart set on it already, you'd probably keep thinking of the countless what-ifs when you see one of these on the road while driving another vehicle. I'd still recommend it, but you'd have to scrutinize its condition double time. Many of these have racked up high mileages and been abused in the mountains. Fresh units will most likely be quite expensive for its age.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Oh I see.

Though I have to say that I have somehow modified our 2010 Carnival LX LWB. Got a Unichip Q4 which greatly improved throttle response and engine power (from 145whp to 173whp!). Family loves the van the most for the cavernous luggage space during trips out of town.

If you are concerned about the Pajero's age, I'd suggest you consider the Santa Fe. I drive one alone daily. I can still fit properly in the 3rd row (I am 5"10) if needed. It is vastly more modern than the Pajero in technology and design.

Though I see that the Pajero seems to be some sort of dream car for you. If you have your heart set on it already, you'd probably keep thinking of the countless what-ifs when you see one of these on the road while driving another vehicle. I'd still recommend it, but you'd have to scrutinize its condition double time. Many of these have racked up high mileages and been abused in the mountains. Fresh units will most likely be quite expensive for its age.

makikisingit lang po. sir ok po yung carnival? di mahirap parts? i plan to get one. thank you

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes8888 View Post
    makikisingit lang po. sir ok po yung carnival? di mahirap parts? i plan to get one. thank you

Seiring has everything. So far I have never been wanting for parts with this car. It is a very comfortable and practical people mover that is most excellent for long trips. Maintenance intervals must be religiously followed though, or you will be sorry! 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2

9. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Wag mo na ibenta yung altis mo buy ka na lang ng revo or adventure Mas mura di hamak sa pajero may second car ka pa

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Seiring has everything. So far I have never been wanting for parts with this car. It is a very comfortable and practical people mover that is most excellent for long trips. Maintenance intervals must be religiously followed though, or you will be sorry! 2009 Altis V or 2002-2004 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x2

thank you sir. thinking of carnival kasi or starex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast