New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Altis units made in 2008-2012 with the 1ZZ-FE (1.8) or 3ZZ (1.6) seems to have stabilized at the 200-300k mark, I'm looking for a 2nd hand unit for my dad who drives everyday in Manila traffic. His other car is a 2012 Fortuner 2.5 A/T, so automatic is a no-brainer and road comfort is the main priority.

I've read that the ZZ engine's main issue are high oil consumption due to faulty design in the piston rings in high mileage engines. But I am able to find low mileage Altises (as low as 14K KM reading).

Are they still a good buy? In terms of maintenance and fuel consumption? Or are there better alternatives now for the money?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hmm... Mahal gasolina ngayon. I think + over P2/L ngayong araw. Will this Altis be the daily driver, or the coding car?

Also, kung puro city driving lang, sa tindi ba naman ng traffic dito, sa 1.6 na ako. Sa 1.8, bihira ko maappreciate ang extra power, sa 1.6 maappreciate ko ang extra tipid every time magpagas ako. Hehe

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Hmm... Mahal gasolina ngayon. I think + over P2/L ngayong araw. Will this Altis be the daily driver, or the coding car?

Also, kung puro city driving lang, sa tindi ba naman ng traffic dito, sa 1.6 na ako. Sa 1.8, bihira ko maappreciate ang extra power, sa 1.6 maappreciate ko ang extra tipid every time magpagas ako. Hehe

This 2nd hand car will be the coding car, purely for city driving. Gusto ko nga mas matipid (so i'm looking at the 1.6, since its a revised version of the 1ZZ 1.8), pero actually wala namang prublema si erpat sa 6-7km/l ng fort niya.. ako lang yung maselan. Gusto ko nga actually Mirage G4, pero ayaw niya sa makalampag.

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
    This 2nd hand car will be the coding car, purely for city driving. Gusto ko nga mas matipid (so i'm looking at the 1.6, since its a revised version of the 1ZZ 1.8), pero actually wala namang prublema si erpat sa 6-7km/l ng fort niya.. ako lang yung maselan. Gusto ko nga actually Mirage G4, pero ayaw niya sa makalampag.
    I am currently driving the 2011 model. Im happy dahil malamig aircon niya at comfortable ang ride lalo na at ang traffic na sobra. Hindi rin hassle imaintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Wouldn't be surprised if the 1.8 Altis also does 6-7km/L. Yun nga lang ang pagkain niya mas mahal ng P12/L. 2008-2012 Corolla Altis 1.8 or 1.6? Good for 2nd hand sedan for the metro?

But then again, kung coding car, di kasing halata ang konsumo kasi bihira gamitin. Dun na sa mas gusto ni erpats. Perhaps even Camry?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Wouldn't be surprised if the 1.8 Altis also does 6-7km/L. Yun nga lang ang pagkain niya mas mahal ng P12/L. 2008-2012 Corolla Altis 1.8 or 1.6? Good for 2nd hand sedan for the metro?

But then again, kung coding car, di kasing halata ang konsumo kasi bihira gamitin. Dun na sa mas gusto ni erpats. Perhaps even Camry?

Maige pa nga mag camry kung ganyan din consumption... tapos mababa pa resale value

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Maige pa nga mag camry kung ganyan din consumption... tapos mababa pa resale value
    Onga noh. Very minimal nalang ang price difference ng same year model Altis and Camry at the 300k price point.

Very fitting coding/weekend/occasions car.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Onga noh. Very minimal nalang ang price difference ng same year model Altis and Camry at the 300k price point.

Camry na nga lang kung coding car. Kung daily driver, Altis or Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Altis units made in 2008-2012 with the 1ZZ-FE (1.8) or 3ZZ (1.6) seems to have stabilized at the 200-300k mark, I'm looking for a 2nd hand unit for my dad who drives everyday in Manila traffic. His other car is a 2012 Fortuner 2.5 A/T, so automatic is a no-brainer and road comfort is the main priority.

I've read that the ZZ engine's main issue are high oil consumption due to faulty design in the piston rings in high mileage engines. But I am able to find low mileage Altises (as low as 14K KM reading).

Are they still a good buy? In terms of maintenance and fuel consumption? Or are there better alternatives now for the money?
    The 10th gen Corolla Altis is one of the most comfortable cars in its segment during its time. I personally have a 2009 1.6V A/T, and the ride comfort and NVH/ noise insulation is very satisfactory.

Performance wise, i suggest you get the 2.0V model, as the 1.6 3ZZ engine struggles quite a bit. Later 3ZR 1.6 units (2010-2012) were quite improved due to the Dual VVTi. The ZZ engines were only used from 2008-early 2010.

Common issues of this model are the melting dashboard (a number of 10th gen Altis units had their dashboards replaced by Toyota via a silent recall), and the rack and pinion bushing.

Goodluck on your purchase!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Mas sulit na ang XV40 Camry compared to the Altis, pati sa registration pareho na lang.

Both the Altis and the Camry are classified as Medium, so they share the P3,800 MVUC charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast