New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If going midsize, the 2006-2008 Mazda6 2.3L is one nice car. Price would be around 300k nowadays. Its size straddles between compacts and midsize cars of that era. Even in stock form, it's a looker. If looking at the 7th gen Accord, look for the 2.4L model. Most say it offers better FC over the 2.0L model. If you want something fast, follow what GTi suggested and opt for the Accord 3.0L V6.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I was in your shoes a year ago and I went with the Mazda 3 2.0.

Don't get the Mazda 3 hatch - 1.6 is slow and fuel efficiency is the same for the 1.6 and 2.0 (around 6 km/L in city traffic). At least the 2.0 is pretty fast.

Among all cars in your price range, the Mazda 3 easily has the best handling. Lots of features too - moon roof, leather seats, steering wheel audio controls, auto climate control, HID, automatic headlamps, rain-sensing wipers, 17" rims, and so on.

It looks timeless - similarly-aged sedans like the 9th gen Altis and Lancer Cedia look really old while the Mazda 3 is still attractive.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Bro, kamusta parts and maintenance ng Mazda 3? Our Mazda Tribute is such a pain to maintain, especially when compared to the older and yet largely problem-free Accord. Stuff to repair or replace just keep coming out of woodwork! Latest to go was the alternator. Surplus replacement for 12.5k petot.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If going midsize, the 2006-2008 Mazda6 2.3L is one nice car. Price would be around 300k nowadays. Its size straddles between compacts and midsize cars of that era. Even in stock form, it's a looker. If looking at the 7th gen Accord, look for the 2.4L model. Most say it offers better FC over the 2.0L model. If you want something fast, follow what GTi suggested and opt for the Accord 3.0L V6.
    noted with thanks bro. any issues with parts availability if ever?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squeesix View Post
    noted with thanks bro. any issues with parts availability if ever?
    Almost bought a Mazda 6 before, but parts availability was a concern. Not that there won't be any parts (you can always order from the dealership if all else fails), but it takes persistence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Bro, kamusta parts and maintenance ng Mazda 3? Our Mazda Tribute is such a pain to maintain, especially when compared to the older and yet largely problem-free Accord. Stuff to repair or replace just keep coming out of woodwork! Latest to go was the alternator. Surplus replacement for 12.5k petot.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Replaced the alternator last year for 8k. Problems also pop up every now and then for my Mazda. Most recently replaced engine supports - now it idles very smoothly and feels brand new again.

I'm pretty sure in 2-3 months something else will need changing, but that's the reality for old cars. All in all though, it's still cheaper to own and run compared to my brand new car.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    agree - cost of acquiring brand new, loaned or whatnot plus depreciation - will still be higher than maintaining a good 2nd hand car.
    minsan din yung scenario na you've just bought new, and a pre-owned upscale model is already selling lower than your eventual cost of acquisition.
    that's another factor why i'm looking at these models kasi the depreciation has already settled in and slowed down.
    am now looking at the other choices, midsize included. thanks guys!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If going midsize, the 2006-2008 Mazda6 2.3L is one nice car. Price would be around 300k nowadays. Its size straddles between compacts and midsize cars of that era. Even in stock form, it's a looker.
    Had both a Mazda 2.0R and a 2007 Mazda 6 2.3L. I would suggest the Mazda 6. great car, great handling, Engine was good including fuel consumption. It felt lighter, more spirited than the model that came after it. Parts where priced slightly higher than your regular japanese sedan and if i remember some Ford parts from the Escape/Focus are compatible with it.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Perhaps you'd consider a midsize sedan. A mid 2000s 2.0 or 2.4 Camry or Accord will fit your budget. Quality is top notch and performance is definitely far off from a 1.6L compact.

Yeah, why not a Camry?

That is more car for the money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12