New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Me, my father and Tito is planning to buy 3 new/used 12 seater van for rent. After a month of reading the tsikot forum I conclude that the starex will be the best choice because of the following reasons.
    - hyundai has a service center in tagbilaran city and 5 yrs warranty.
    - nissann escapade=no dealers,need to buy from cebu(maintenance how?). toyota hiace=d4d issue.
    - hyundai value for money.
    - it will be used to transport foriegn or local tourist.
    Does starex durability can hold it self from van for rent demanding wear and tear?
    But were still comfused weather to get the tci or crdi because the crdi is 300k more expensive than the tci. Ive also read in the forum that the tci is more fuel thirsty than the crdi. Will the tci be suffient enough to power the 12 seater?
    Lastly, What is more practical and profitable? to buy used van (should be 2005 and above) or buy brand new then sell after 5 yrs of service?

Thnks in advance

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd say the TCi is a safer bet for long term use, not knowing the fuel quality in your area. And everything from registration and insurance to maintenance should be cheaper. CRDi has potentially better economy, but this can be offset with proper driving... running with a full load on a 2.5 liter engine, though, you can't expect any better than 8-10 km/l, anyway... and Hyundai CRDis get thirstier when fed with dirty fuel.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sir Taga Bohol karin? yearly umuuwi kami jan together with my tito and we travel by land. He has a starex crdi and for two straight years yun gamit nya kapag umuuwi kami ng bohol, so far so good, FC is about 14km/L jan sa bohol.

I suggest get the CRDI model sinceits more economical and a way more powerful than tci.

OT: pa PM ng contact info para just in case we need a decent van jan sa bohol.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    3 units? hmmm... make sure to ask the dealer for a fleet account if possible... dapat may discount na yan!

Yup, like what niky mentioned, get the TCI for the same reasons... to play it safe!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    niky = ok i will do some research regarding our diesel quality in bohol vs Luzon, thanks for your expert advised im 70% convinced to get the TCI.

s_quilicot = Yup taga Loboc, Bohol kami. ang tito ko isa sa may ari ng Floating restaurant dito at Siya din ang Authorized care taker ng famous TARSIER. Siya din nag convince sakin at tatay ko na bili kami tig-iisang van para makakuha ng franchise as van for tourist. Saan ka ba sa bohol? PM nalang kita pag start na operation namin.

ianmitsulancer = Im not sure about the fleet discount because we will buy the van under 3 different name. Thanks for the advised.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Good day Sir/madam,
    I have a follow up question, should i get the Matic or manual tranny for the purpose same as mention above.

thanks

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you know how to take car of A/T's the units will serve you well. Hyundai A/T's are pretty robust and will take a beating for at least the next 5 years. Maintenance is the key. Replace fluids at specified intervals using correct replacement fluids. Use the handbrake to hold the van stationary (don't rely on the 'P' setting to hold the van) when parked or in traffic.

If your drivers are used to manuals, then get the M/T's. But if they will be driving for long periods of time, an A/T will be less tiring. Tired drivers are more prone to make mistakes and are more prone to mishandling vehicles (bumibigat ang kamay) if that's important to you.

I'd go with the TCi engine and the most basic variant for your intended application.

You might need to get a roof rack if you will carry passengers + their luggage.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    a trailer would do also. if your getting the grand starex it shouldnt be hard to mount a trailer hitch.. as its one of the options for the grandstarex in australia..

12 str starex tci or crdi (newbie need help from guru)