New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    during the annual year-end cleanup of our house, i unearthed an old alpine 3548 amp.
    i'm hoping i could make use of it on my 2008 subaru impreza without really spending too much on brand new stuff.
    i'm next to clueless about this as i've never installed any audio-improvements before.

my questions:
    1. can i use the amp alone without having to buy new speakers? (if yes, will the trouble be worth the audio improvement if any?)
    2. how much will it cost to install just the amp? (i didn't find any wirings with it)
    4. is there a good subwoofer around 2k php only?

last question:
    if you had an alpine 3548 amp and didn't want to spend more than 3k to make use of it on your 2008 impreza, what would you do with it?

thanks in advance for the replies!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sugeina View Post
    during the annual year-end cleanup of our house, i unearthed an old alpine 3548 amp.
    i'm hoping i could make use of it on my 2008 subaru impreza without really spending too much on brand new stuff.
    i'm next to clueless about this as i've never installed any audio-improvements before.

my questions:
    1. can i use the amp alone without having to buy new speakers? (if yes, will the trouble be worth the audio improvement if any?)
    2. how much will it cost to install just the amp? (i didn't find any wirings with it)

last question:
    if you had an alpine 3548 amp and didn't want to spend more than 3k to make use of it on your 2008 impreza, what would you do with it?

Good thing kakabalik ko lang from Hong Kong as I'm incredibly tired, I'll go straight to the point: Don't install it. It isn't worth the trouble. This is because any audio equipment especially those that are "vintage" need maintenance. For a power amplifier, the first thing that needs replacement are the capacitors which has a typical life-span of 5-8 years. Unfortunately, buying a new amplifier might be a better investment over the long-run rather than trying to revive your old one. So save yourself the money... and the headaches.

1. It wouldn't be worth the trouble. Stock speakers do not need dedicated amplifiers because they do not need it. They typically eat up under 40W which is something any head unit coming from Pioneer or Alpine can supply via its internal amp that outputs around 20W.

2. Maybe a Ninoy bill for the installation. However the pricey ones are the wiring costs as a good wiring kit can set you back several thousands (2-4k)

3. It might be better to find a self-powered (active) subwoofer. This way you won't need an additional amplifier to power it.

If you're broke from christmas shopping and you want to give your Impreza a cheap treat: go swap your speakers for a cheap aftermarket separate speaker set ("google: separates coaxial" for more info). This is because any aftermarket speaker is still better than the stock paper cones that comes factory standard.

However, if you're playing Scrooge, simply play around with your head unit settings. Try fiddling the tuning options. My favorite suggestion is trying a U-shaped EQ slope. As most stock car stereos only allow the adjustment of three regions: treble, mid, and bass what this means is a boost on the treble region, keeping your mid flat, and a boost on the bass.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002

my questions:

last question:

first, you don't know if it works.
    just sell it as it is... around 500 pesos perhaps?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Great inputs, thanks!
    Where/how can i check if it's in good working condition?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you can ask an audio installer nearest you.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    you can ask an audio installer nearest you.
    possible ba na diy? i want to learn in the process of figuring it out...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    possible ba na diy? i want to learn in the process of figuring it out...
    it is possible to diy, if you understand how these things work..
    i just hope you don't burn the thing out in the process. heh heh.
    mebbe it is better you seek professional help, and ask him all your questions so that you will learn in the process..
    in the olden days, things were simpler, and i could figure out how gadgets work, all by myself. today, i'd have to read the manual to even turn on some of these gadgets..

8. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it is possible to diy, if you understand how these things work..
    i just hope you don't burn the thing out in the process. heh heh.
    mebbe it is better you seek professional help, and ask him all your questions so that you will learn in the process..
    in the olden days, things were simpler, and i could figure out how gadgets work, all by myself. today, i'd have to read the manual to even turn on some of these gadgets..
    ok, thanks! i guess i have a long way to go since i'm just starting now.
    any recommended websites for newbies i could use as reference?