New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Inovero View Post
    anung year po yun sir?grabe bigtime yun ah.
    Early '90s...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Inovero View Post
    anung year po yun sir?grabe bigtime yun ah.
    Hanggang ngayon uso yun grabe laki pera binubuhos sa sounds.

May nabasa ako sa TG or C! yata yun, ZZ Altis sobra mahal ng sounds high end kasi. Makakabili ka na raw ng isang oto

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Hanggang ngayon uso yun grabe laki pera binubuhos sa sounds.

May nabasa ako sa TG or C! yata yun, ZZ Altis sobra mahal ng sounds high end kasi. Makakabili ka na raw ng isang oto
    That's Gerry's Altis which sports the uber exotic Micro-Precision Z Studio tweeters and midrange. The pair of tweeters alone costs 220,000php brand new and had a waiting time of several months (it's handcrafted after all). Great guy... we used to make talk over Starbucks in Mindanao Avenue about his latest womanizing exploits :naughty2:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Nakamichi has since gone by its glory days and it's more of the owners simply juicing the brand. I believe they've since gone back to targeting the entry-mid level markets nowadays.

Trust me, with the advent of China's manufacturing powess, manufacturing speakers (and amplifiers) is easy as a phone call away. Thanks to their huge economies of scale, it's pretty easy to keep costs low and for brands to price them similarly as low. A lower entry price has a direct relationship with a broader revenue source. This is why I have high respect to those who still sells and manufacturers their own drivers and there's only quite a few: KEF, Dynaudio, Focal JM-Labs, Scanspeak, Electromedia's Hertz-Audison, etc.

I advice people not to fall to the usual "expensive is better" mindset when it comes to car audio. Equipment does play a part -- however, I would limit it to 10%. The rest of the 90% is simply hard work in tuning your car to sound better. This is because in a car, your biggest enemy is the hostile environment itself. It's like putting a Ferrari with non-grip tires on an iced lake.

Actually, it's not "uso" nowadays to enter car audio. I'd say the uso-days peaked back in 2009-2011. Nowadays in 2013, we simply just had 20 competitors on the last EMMA Nationals compared to 60+ in 2012 (and even more in 2011). As for the cost, car audio is cheap.... if you compare it to home audio :naughty2: this is why my brother is fearing what my budget would be once I enter the realm of home audio. You'd might be surprised but there's still a handful of people who are secret audiophiles out there.. hell, there's a house in New Manila that has two Php 4 million speakers in his home theatre setup as "rear surrounds" alone and his total expenditures in his "hobby" could well bought him a Lamborghini Gallardo AND a Ferrari 458.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    *bro jhnkvn, what is your take on this nakamichi seps, amps, and subs? Ok rin ba? Planning to go full nakamichi setup. Sabi nga rin saken wag daw dedepende sa brand, kahit targa nga lang daw maganda pag nakuha sa tuning eh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Nakamichi has since gone by its glory days and it's more of the owners simply juicing the brand. I believe they've since gone back to targeting the entry-mid level markets nowadays.

Trust me, with the advent of China's manufacturing powess, manufacturing speakers (and amplifiers) is easy as a phone call away. Thanks to their huge economies of scale, it's pretty easy to keep costs low and for brands to price them similarly as low. A lower entry price has a direct relationship with a broader revenue source. This is why I have high respect to those who still sells and manufacturers their own drivers and there's only quite a few: KEF, Dynaudio, Focal JM-Labs, Scanspeak, Electromedia's Hertz-Audison, etc.

I advice people not to fall to the usual "expensive is better" mindset when it comes to car audio. Equipment does play a part -- however, I would limit it to 10%. The rest of the 90% is simply hard work in tuning your car to sound better. This is because in a car, your biggest enemy is the hostile environment itself. It's like putting a Ferrari with non-grip tires on an iced lake.

Actually, it's not "uso" nowadays to enter car audio. I'd say the uso-days peaked back in 2009-2011. Nowadays in 2013, we simply just had 20 competitors on the last EMMA Nationals compared to 60+ in 2012 (and even more in 2011). As for the cost, car audio is cheap.... if you compare it to home audio :naughty2: this is why my brother is fearing what my budget would be once I enter the realm of home audio. You'd might be surprised but there's still a handful of people who are secret audiophiles out there.. hell, there's a house in New Manila that has two Php 4 million speakers in his home theatre setup as "rear surrounds" alone and his total expenditures in his "hobby" could well bought him a Lamborghini Gallardo AND a Ferrari 458.
    another well written and sound advice from sir jhnkvn...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beni23 View Post
    *bro jhnkvn, what is your take on this nakamichi seps, amps, and subs? Ok rin ba? Planning to go full nakamichi setup. Sabi nga rin saken wag daw dedepende sa brand, kahit targa nga lang daw maganda pag nakuha sa tuning eh.

I have no idea. But I don't think they're bad per se but frankly I can't really get much information on them and hence, personally, I'll stay away. I mean like.. 30W RMS then a whopping 430W as max? That's bullshit. It's too far apart. Usually you see 80W RMS speaker voice coils being cooked already at 400W. FYI, my midbass has a 100W RMS and a 200W maximum RMS wattage rating (this means that it can get 100-200W and is within "suitable" power range. Still, I'm throwing 320W on them and even I'm afraid of throwing even more. This is because music is "flowing", your amplifier isn't stuck at 4ohms infinitely, it'll rise to 8ohms at times and dip sometimes to 2ohms and some more infamous woofers even dip to 1ohm (mine's infamous for dipping to 0.8ohms momentarily, at that point, it'll be giving a whopping 800W at the woofer. This is why I do NOT push my volume up high else I say goodbye to 20 grand).

In all actuality, the impedence swings is the culprit of the saying that "expensive woofers need expensive amplifiers" since it's pretty true. If I threw my midbass at a Sound Magnus amplifier, it'll constantly be in protect mode Of course, manufacturers are striving to make their speakers more "amplifier" friendly nowadays.

I'd recommend Dominations' entry-level Buddy series. Dominations is an Indonesian brand but I've met with its founder once, great guy and even gave me tips on how to improve my own system. I believe SRP for equipment cost is 25k for 1 pair 6.5 Seps, 4x50w amp, 1x500w amp, and 12 inch sub. But if you pay in cash, there's a huge discount which dips it to 20k flat or something (I have to find my brochure.. sad that it's 2:49am so I'm pretty sleepy). Nogs Candyshop should be your first stop in Banawe if you'll take up the offer. If you're somewhere near Pasig, try visiting Mach2Audio. As a side benefit, my Sonata's getting its final rebuild in Mach2Audio too so you may also check up on its progress :naughty2:
    Last edited by jhnkvn; March 30th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    I have no idea. But I don't think they're bad per se but frankly I can't really get much information on them and hence, personally, I'll stay away. I mean like.. 30W RMS then a whopping 430W as max? That's bullshit. It's too far apart. Usually you see 80W RMS speaker voice coils being cooked already at 400W. FYI, my midbass has a 100W RMS and a 200W maximum RMS wattage rating (this means that it can get 100-200W and is within "suitable" power range. Still, I'm throwing 320W on them and even I'm afraid of throwing even more. This is because music is "flowing", your amplifier isn't stuck at 4ohms infinitely, it'll rise to 8ohms at times and dip sometimes to 2ohms and some more infamous woofers even dip to 1ohm (mine's infamous for dipping to 0.8ohms momentarily, at that point, it'll be giving a whopping 800W at the woofer. This is why I do NOT push my volume up high else I say goodbye to 20 grand).

In all actuality, the impedence swings is the culprit of the saying that "expensive woofers need expensive amplifiers" since it's pretty true. If I threw my midbass at a Sound Magnus amplifier, it'll constantly be in protect mode Of course, manufacturers are striving to make their speakers more "amplifier" friendly nowadays.

I'd recommend Dominations' entry-level Buddy series. Dominations is an Indonesian brand but I've met with its founder once, great guy and even gave me tips on how to improve my own system. I believe SRP for equipment cost is 25k for 1 pair 6.5 Seps, 4x50w amp, 1x500w amp, and 12 inch sub. But if you pay in cash, there's a huge discount which dips it to 20k flat or something (I have to find my brochure.. sad that it's 2:49am so I'm pretty sleepy). Nogs Candyshop should be your first stop in Banawe if you'll take up the offer. If you're somewhere near Pasig, try visiting Mach2Audio. As a side benefit, my Sonata's getting its final rebuild in Mach2Audio too so you may also check up on its progress :naughty2:
    I know, right? 30w rms then 450w peak? Haha. For the sub and amp, I might go dominations, as per your advice. Thanks!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Anybody knows a dealer within Pasig / Makati / Eastwood area? Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Nakamichi brand