New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I upgraded my stock HU with a JVC DVD receiver with monitor. When I tuned in sa AM wala makita station. FM stations are okay naman. I was able to make the following observations: when the car's antenna cable is fully inserted sa JVC HU antenna connector, wala AM reception. But when I loosely connect the antenna cable merong AM reception. Could it be a mismatched antenna and HU?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    You may need a new antenna. Its sometimes hard to tell with FM, because relatively strong FM signals can often be pick up w/o an atenna. With AM, on the other hand, you probably wont pick up much of any signal w/o properly functioning antenna. So, tune to the AM band. If you get nothing across the entire band, you probably need a new antenna.

This how you do.

If you can tune in a station, gently take hold of the antenna near its base and jiggle it lightly back and forth. If the signal pops in and out, your antenna is not making firm contact w/ the body of the car. It may just need tightening, or it may be partially corroded and need replacement.

Stock antennas may need to be replaced after only four to six years. They wear out faster if you live in a very high humidity and near the ocean, where salty sea breezes can accelerate corrosion.
    Good luck in your new project.

o baka yung head unit ang may problema? baka loose yung sa may antenna terminal nya???

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Are you getting mono or stereo sound across your FM band?

If mono,- then you have to check the 2 connectors, the one coming from the HU and the other, coming from your antenna.

Typical antenna impedance is 75 ohms or 300 ohms,- check out the specs in your HU.

4101:victory:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    V6dreamer, funkngruvn, CVT: Thank you sirs sa mga reply. My Santa Fe is fairly new, 6 months old. And the JVC HU is brand new. The SF antenna is a short length rubber type that is installed at the rear end of the roof. Does anybody knows if it has a built-in antenna booster? On the stock HU kasi merong wire that is labeled antenna (not the power antenna) that is not present on the new HU. Don't know where to connect this. If the SF antenna has a booster something must drive it. Could it be this wire?

Help: Nawal AM reception after I upgraded HU