New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I just finished wiring a powered sub to the HU of my brother's Lancer MX. The sub is just an NBN powered subs. Ok so this is what happened, after wiring everything correctly (+12V to car battery with inline fuse, ground connected to the rear trunk of the car via a screw on its flooring, REM line connected to the HU). After finishing the wiring, I tested the subs if it was working. It was working. I took it to a few songs and it was still working. When my brother got home, I presented to him my work for the day on his car. The subs were running just fine. I told him that he should turn down the volume as much as he can (almost zero) then turn off the HU first before shutting off the engine to minimize the risk of destroying the sub on startup or popping his ears out. Then the weirdest thing happened. I turned on the engine again, turned on the HU, the subs weren't working. It didn't bring out a dB of thump. After a few seconds it started to thump again like normal. So going for testing again, I turned off the HU and changed the CD. When it was back on again, no sound from the sub. This time, for good. Up to now no thump from the sub. I tried to analyze the problem. If the subs had blown up or burned a component from the amp, it wouldn't turn on, meaning no power LED should light up. But in my case, the lights were still on. No burnt smell. Could the HU be the problem? I connected the subs rca-ins to the Pioneer DEH 4550's subwoofer-outs.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    could anyone at least give me a suggestion on what I could do?

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Check your input sensitivity on the sub power amp maybe set too high, or you amy have a bad ground. Make sure the ground wire is solidly connected to the metal chassis of your car.

YOUR QUOTE:
    ground connected to the rear trunk of the car via a screw on its flooring, REM line connected to the HU)

Again, ground must be solid. I dont know about that screw, seems to me not solid enought. Try connect somewhere w/ bolts and make sure to strip any dirt or paint.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i see. Ok will check on the ground. thanks!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    bro had the same problem with my system before...all leds are lit on amp, hu ok, seps ok but no thump...had to bring my amp to an electronic repair shop to check it out, it turned out that there was a damaged IC... so bring the amp to a trusty electronic shop and let them check it out just to make sure

Help! I don't know what happened....