New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    basag / scratchy sound from car speakers

hi all. im no audio expert here and would appreciate if i can get some help. my car's stock speakers used to be decent and clean sounding but recently ive been hearing a lot of scratch and "basag" tones especially from bass lines. sounds like a small desktop speaker volumed up to the max. is there any DIY i can do check/do before i spend time in a shop? thank you very much! car is civic 99 if it helps. ;)

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Check the wiring for loose connection and grounding.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Well... depends on how DIY you are. Walter's suggestion isn't for newbies or ones who hates dismantling their panels apart

First I'll do is that I'll check the head unit tone controls. I'll make sure they're at +/- 0 (zero) to try to eliminate EQ-related distortion. If I'll put it in simple matters, EQ-related distortion is when you pump one parameter excessively and the music runs out of "data" to boost.

Second is I'll try to assess the condition of the speakers. Kung nabasa yun speakers mo, that's pretty much a guaranteed replacement na. If there are holes in it, then that's physical damage na.

These are probably the DIY-friendly things you can do. What you're hearing is called distortion.. very bad distortion in fact since it's very audible. If I were to take a guess, this is probably mechanical-related such as an misaligned magnet, spider, or cone that happened due to wear and tear.

Wirings are pretty good naman as long as you don't tamper with it. However, if you've been a fan of 3rd party accessories, you might want to double-check your wirings since it's also a possible culprit.

You see, it's hard to damage stock speakers in their stock configuration. Factory head units comes with limiters that safeguards your speaker so to make your audio idiot-proof as possible -- so kahit tinodo mo pa yun volume mo, you won't send it for a RMA

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by poorprince View Post
    basag / scratchy sound from car speakers

hi all. im no audio expert here and would appreciate if i can get some help. my car's stock speakers used to be decent and clean sounding but recently ive been hearing a lot of scratch and "basag" tones especially from bass lines. sounds like a small desktop speaker volumed up to the max. is there any DIY i can do check/do before i spend time in a shop? thank you very much! car is civic 99 if it helps. ;)

With the age of the car, I would check the speaker's condition first. The paper cone could have crumbled to dust by now or the rubber/foam cone edge have gotten brittle and cracked from age.

Check if the speakers have perished from age. If YES, then simply replace them with a similar rated speaker set.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ganito gawin mo..lahat ba ng speaker eh basag ang tunog..

sa harap speaker sa pinto, madali lang tanggalin yan..sikwatin mo lang ung pinaka cover ng speaker makikita mo na ung screw niya.bunutin mo sa socket magka bilang speaker ng pintuan,,

saka mo test i on ung stereo na ang speaker lang eh nasa likod.
    kapag tumunog ng maganda eh malamang sa may sabit na ung speaker or sira na ung pinaka conedge niya kaya basag na ung tunog.

kapag basag parin malamang sira nadin ung speaker sa likod may socket un sa likod ng compartment,,
    bunutin mo pareho ..

kung component ka sa bahay try mo muna ung speaker nun para ma trace mo kung saan talaga ung sirang speaker

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    i appreciate all the replies. speakers must be old, busted and its due for replacement. my budget is 2k, do you have any recommendations the best bang for the buck purchase for this budget? saw an ad in ayosdito for 1.2k. Any feedback on this pioneer model? (not sure if used or brand new)

thanks pioneer-car-speaker-3995773386.jpg

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by poorprince View Post
    i appreciate all the replies. speakers must be old, busted and its due for replacement. my budget is 2k, do you have any recommendations the best bang for the buck purchase for this budget? saw an ad in ayosdito for 1.2k. Any feedback on this pioneer model? (not sure if used or brand new)

thanks pioneer-car-speaker-3995773386.jpg

Pioneer is a good brand. Just that check the rating of your original speakers and find speakers that match that rating. Getting speakers that are rated much higher than your headunit can drive will just result in bad sounding music. Also if you are still using your stock head unit, you might want to take this opportunity to upgrade it too.