New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Hello guys and gurus, i'm really kinda questioned:

1. what is the difference between Crossover (aka Bridge) and Non-Crossover setup? what are their advantages and disadvantages?
    2. meron po din ba tong effect in terms of engine performance, batteries, etc?
    3. what is the best connection for a sedan car? is it really neccessary to install a crossover or non-cross over in a sedan?

Your advices of your expertise are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Kahit ano gawin mo, one way or the other you'll need a crossover as you need to set your sound frequency appropriate to your driver. Last thing you want is a tweeter doing full range

Basically, not using the passive crossover that comes with the set gives you FLEXIBILITY in tuning as you're running a fully-active system. You can fiddle around with it rather than having the passive crossover.

But, the problem with this is that unless you're an audiophile, going full-active isn't ideal due to channel constraints. In terms of sound quality, most are negligible. In most 2-way systems, the tweeter only needs minimal power to run. Throw around 20W at it and most tweets are happy. Not everybody can afford extra 2-channels. In semi-active 3-ways, most crossovers are for the midrange-tweet while the midbass is active.

Answers:
    (1) You'll have a crossover unless you're running full-range speakers. As for passive crossovers pros and cons, look at above.

(2) No. Crossovers use is to simply filter sound frequencies. Think of them as Quality Control: "Oh ito, high frequency... doon ka sa tweeter. Ito low frequency, doon ka sa subwoofer. Etc."

(3) If you have a crossover, use it. Most crossovers that come provided in the component sets are made for that set naman eh. If you have it, use it. If you don't, that's fine as well but check since you need 2 additional channels (for the tweeters).

Good quality crossovers are expensive. So kung meron ka na, go for it. How expensive can they get? If you check Karty.. yun Monty ni Drivensteven who posted recently dito sa section. His fellow Team DSD member, Martin, has custom crossovers in the 6 digit figures. They're freakin' HUGE. Pagpinagsama mo yun dalawa probably magsinglaki lang ng 22" monitor. Or even bigger.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; April 24th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    hello jhnkvn, thanks for your wonderful explanation. although i can't follow them all kasi i'm not a audio tech. pero i'm an audiophile kaya po i'm seeking what's best sound setup for my car. just wondering, you're saying po ba na all connections are crossover? what is passive crossover? and what is the other crossover called?

i have a pioneer amp GM 3400T (and it says it's bridgeable), car stereo, coaxial 4 way for rear, 2 way speaker for front, and a sub. i'm going to install po yung amp sa compartment together with the sub.

1. in this scenario, ano po ang the best connection setup, is it crossover po ba (i mean bridge)? or what?

2. ask ko lang din po, ano po ang gamit ng Gain? it shows voltage from 6.5V to 0.2V and the normal is almost a half between them. para saan po yan? i saw some amps na naka set to near 0.2V.

Thanks po ulit for your advices.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsector63 View Post
    hello jhnkvn, thanks for your wonderful explanation. although i can't follow them all kasi i'm not a audio tech. pero i'm an audiophile kaya po i'm seeking what's best sound setup for my car. just wondering, you're saying po ba na all connections are crossover? what is passive crossover? and what is the other crossover called?

i have a pioneer amp GM 3400T (and it says it's bridgeable), car stereo, coaxial 4 way for rear, 2 way speaker for front, and a sub. i'm going to install po yung amp sa compartment together with the sub.

1. in this scenario, ano po ang the best connection setup, is it crossover po ba (i mean bridge)? or what?

2. ask ko lang din po, ano po ang gamit ng Gain? it shows voltage from 6.5V to 0.2V and the normal is almost a half between them. para saan po yan? i saw some amps na naka set to near 0.2V.

Thanks po ulit for your advices.
    A crossover is a filter, it is used to filter certain frequency to match where it used. A crossover is not for a called bridging in amplifier, bridging is to choose to get more power, different from crossover.
    Gain is to adjust and match the level output from the head unit, not a volume knob, some amp have a gain level from 6 volts to .2 volts, it means it depends on the head unit, some head unit are 2 volts or 5 volts.

5. Join Date
    May 2018
    sobrang detailed explanation nito.

para saan naman ang DSP sir? applicable ba may DSP for semi active set up?

thanks and more power!

Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Kahit ano gawin mo, one way or the other you'll need a crossover as you need to set your sound frequency appropriate to your driver. Last thing you want is a tweeter doing full range

Basically, not using the passive crossover that comes with the set gives you FLEXIBILITY in tuning as you're running a fully-active system. You can fiddle around with it rather than having the passive crossover.

But, the problem with this is that unless you're an audiophile, going full-active isn't ideal due to channel constraints. In terms of sound quality, most are negligible. In most 2-way systems, the tweeter only needs minimal power to run. Throw around 20W at it and most tweets are happy. Not everybody can afford extra 2-channels. In semi-active 3-ways, most crossovers are for the midrange-tweet while the midbass is active.

Answers:
    (1) You'll have a crossover unless you're running full-range speakers. As for passive crossovers pros and cons, look at above.

(2) No. Crossovers use is to simply filter sound frequencies. Think of them as Quality Control: "Oh ito, high frequency... doon ka sa tweeter. Ito low frequency, doon ka sa subwoofer. Etc."

(3) If you have a crossover, use it. Most crossovers that come provided in the component sets are made for that set naman eh. If you have it, use it. If you don't, that's fine as well but check since you need 2 additional channels (for the tweeters).

Good quality crossovers are expensive. So kung meron ka na, go for it. How expensive can they get? If you check Karty.. yun Monty ni Drivensteven who posted recently dito sa section. His fellow Team DSD member, Martin, has custom crossovers in the 6 digit figures. They're freakin' HUGE. Pagpinagsama mo yun dalawa probably magsinglaki lang ng 22" monitor. Or even bigger.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by junoboy View Post
    sobrang detailed explanation nito.

para saan naman ang DSP sir? applicable ba may DSP for semi active set up?

thanks and more power!

DSP - Digital Signal Processing

use: pampaganda ng tunog. just like how the traditional old school graphic equalizer works.

it starts from the basic "tone" control that you can still find on some 1DIN head units
    then the "bass + treble" controls
    then the "graphic equalizer" controls
    then the "parametric equalizer" controls

on one hand, each advancement in "beautifying" the sound was based mainly on hardware components eg. potentionmeters, sliders, inductors, capacitors, OP amps etc.
    DSP on the other hand though also contains hardware components but is more. it can manipulate the electrical signal by digitizing it and calculate at very high speeds so you can "tailor" the sound you want by "software filters". it mimicks the behaviour of a harware filter with software algorithms.

you can appreciate what a DSP is even with your android phone. the android phones audio circuit produces sound that is inferior even with very expensive headphones. using a DSP capable player and knowing how to fiddle with it brings you an exhilirating feeling and shock by how a small device can produce such sound quality even on cheap chinese over the ear headphones.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by godwhacker View Post
    DSP - Digital Signal Processing

use: pampaganda ng tunog. just like how the traditional old school graphic equalizer works.

it starts from the basic "tone" control that you can still find on some 1DIN head units
    then the "bass + treble" controls
    then the "graphic equalizer" controls
    then the "parametric equalizer" controls

on one hand, each advancement in "beautifying" the sound was based mainly on hardware components eg. potentionmeters, sliders, inductors, capacitors, OP amps etc.
    DSP on the other hand though also contains hardware components but is more. it can manipulate the electrical signal by digitizing it and calculate at very high speeds so you can "tailor" the sound you want by "software filters". it mimicks the behaviour of a harware filter with software algorithms.

you can appreciate what a DSP is even with your android phone. the android phones audio circuit produces sound that is inferior even with very expensive headphones. using a DSP capable player and knowing how to fiddle with it brings you an exhilirating feeling and shock by how a small device can produce such sound quality even on cheap chinese over the ear headphones.
    very well explained Crossover vs Non-Crossover Setup

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crossover vs Non-Crossover Setup