New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    good evening guys.. baguhan lang po me when it comes to car modifications and set-ups, my car is a honda city 2009 and all stock pa po sya. gusto ko po sanang ipa set-up yung sound system ng auto ko but i dunno where and how to start.. with a budget of 80 to 100k, makpag set up kaya ako ng sound system with the best sound quality and boom power? high end equipment and gadgets na ba mbibili ko nito? anong parts/set-up ang mabubuo ko sa gantong budget? sana mashare nyo po yung knowledge nyo guys.. thanks and more power

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Wow big budget! You can definitly get the toys you want at that price.

With that budget, I would go to Quest Audio in Sct Borromeo. Look for Marky, he owns the place. Tell him Jun refered you.
    Shop - QUEST CAR AUDIO - Multiply Marketplace Philippines The 2009 Honda City Simple Install is my car. I have seen some of the cars in his photos, namely the BMW, the Pajero and the Camry. Trust me, it looks a lot better in person. The pics dont do them justice.

Another very good installer is Nogs of Candyshop in Banawe. Candyshop Autoworks
    I had my old car done by him and he is very good. Note that I recommended installers who I worked with. There are other people who may be ass good or better but I have not had a chance to get a system done by them.

Get a good HU. If you dont need video, go with Pioneer P80II or Alpine 9887. Both are top notch SQ head units. If you need video, ask your installer. Get a good pair of seps. Talk to your installer and tell him what music you listen too. If you like very detailed sound, in your face sound or laid back. This will help him recommend speakers. Good amps, deadening and sub. For me deadening is really worth it.

Whoever you choose to do the install, just remeber that in car audio its 50% equipment and 50% install. A bad install will make good gears sound bad or at least not maximze its potntial. A good install and tuning will make entry level equipment sound good.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    thanks for the response dude, it's greatly appreciated.. just another question, i did a lil research about HUs and found out that there are lots of other high end HUs apart from what you've mentioned (Alpine 9887/Pioneer P80II ) like the Pioneer CD Receiver RS-P90, Mc Intosh (MX models), Pioneer DEX-P99RS and etc, but way more expensive.. Does this tell that the more expensive the HU, the better SQ you could get? or konti lang diprensya? Because i'm willing to save more just to get the HU that produces the best SQ regardless of the price, pag iipunan ko na lang cguro.. pero kung konti lang naman ang difference, of course, dun na ko sa makakamura ako

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Those are supposed to be way better HUs. I only say "supposed to be" bec I have not heard them. I' sure they sound wonderful. I have seen the P90 or was it P99 in a store. If you have the budget go for it. If you can, try to audition the gears you will buy.

Some more reading about HU's Top 10 Audiophile Source Units - Source Unit Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics

kotseaudioclub.com is a great source of info on car audio

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Pare, I suggest you visit kotseaudioclub.com for more information. There you have bigger and better gurus to teach you.

Disclaimer: jhnkvn and userfriendly is a forumer of kotseaudioclub's forums and I'm particularly active from time to time.

---------

Malayo mararating mo sa 80-100k. As userfriendly says, I suggest you visit Banawe for the works. Trying to visit big autoshops like Alex's Autoline, Mickey's Mickeyautosounds, etc. might put a dent on your wallet for their "labor and woodworks" costs. Of course, you get what you pay for -- quality but most people would cringe at a 30,000php bill spent on trunkworks and labor alone.

Userfriendly has already stated two very good shops in Banawe. I myself would recommend these two although I lean more on Nog's Candyshop (they have done pretty extensive installs before. If you see Stephen's/drivensteven's Montero in this section, ayun na yun)

I would suggest just three head units for you -- Alpine 9887, Alpine CDA 117+H100 processor, Pioneer P99. By order of price and how much you are willing to dish out. I would suggest you go for the cheapest one, the 9887. This has been time-tested and proven over the years. Would buying a Nakamichi or McIntosh head unit give you better sound? Possibly. But more often than not, they're simply eye candy. I do have a 250k sound system with a stock head unit (I got a JBL MS8 processor though ;) ) but that doesn't mean I'm inferior to them. I used to joke on how "seeing a McIntosh logo would magically improve the highs and overall sound frequency"

There's a really important reflection you have to know before you venture into car audio and that is to know what you want. Car audio has three branches: (1) SQ or sound quality where we judge tonal accuracy, sound stage, etc., (2) SPL or Sound Pressure Level where we strive to make sure we wake up the whole neighborhood when we pass by, or (3) LnC or Loud and Clear which is a mix of the two but still revolves around opening your doors so people can hear your system.

I would highly recommend you first audition these different systems before you go ahead with what you want. I've already seen numerous people who bought Hertz only to swap them out with Beyma after 2 days (hehe, si mouse25 yun example ko dito. He's a tsikoteer who I introduced to car audio)

Best Car sound system set up for 80k to 100k budget