New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Mga gurus. I'm planning on installing 4" coaxials in the QUARTER, located in front of the sail panel of our innova. It's the tiny useless window right next to where the windshield ends. Is this a good location? Tight lang ang budget and coaxes are cheaper and I want to keep the A-pillars stock (no tweeter, midrange pods). Do midranges need enclosures? Baffles lang kasi ang gagawin ko for the 4inchers.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    Mga gurus. I'm planning on installing 4" coaxials in the QUARTER, located in front of the sail panel of our innova. It's the tiny useless window right next to where the windshield ends. Is this a good location? Tight lang ang budget and coaxes are cheaper and I want to keep the A-pillars stock (no tweeter, midrange pods). Do midranges need enclosures? Baffles lang kasi ang gagawin ko for the 4inchers.
    Hindi ako expert by any stretch pero I can share from experience. A 4' coax won't sound or look good sa sail panel. Una, a 4' na co-ax will not produce much sound by itself particulary bass mabibitin ka. pangalawa maski mag baffles or enclosure (kun kasya) masyadong shallow at maliit yung volume ng sail panel to produce the full range of sound that a co-ax is supposed to put out. There's a reason kun bakit usually tweeters lang or in some cases midrange ang nasa location na iyan.

kung stock pa speakers ng innova mo sir you could do much better as a first step kung palitan mo nalang ang front door speakers mo with better quality speakers maski co-ax din. improved sounds minimal gastos ka pa. tsaka 6.5in speakers ata kasya sa pinto ng innova.

dati sa Isuzu fuego namin no choice ako 4' co-ax lang ang kasya sa pinto kaya bumili pa ako ng ryan audio 4in. ok naman pero bitin sa bass so in the end bumili pa ako ng 6x9 para lang ma buo yung tunog.
    ngayon sa auto ko 4' padin lang ang kasya sa pinto pero component sya may tweeters at maliit na sub para buo yun tunog.
    Ibig ko lang sabihin siguro kun puro 4' na co-ax lang ang speakers may kulang talaga sa quality ng sound dapat talaga may iba ka pang puno in particular sa low end or bass. HTH

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    thanks sa input sir babkalakal. Kulang sa detalye yung query ko pala. May 6" separates na ko sa front door and stock sa rear. Balak ko sana i-discard na yung passive xover and tweets ng seps and active xover na gagamitin. Bale I'll keep the 6" sa doors then ang maghahandle ng hi freq yung 4" coaxes. Yung sa doors would act as midbass (kung kaya) powered by a 2ch amp(bandpassed) then another 2ch amp for the coaxes(hi passed). Ok kaya tunog? Para mahila pataas ang soundstage kuno.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I see what you're getting at. pero sayang naman yung seperates mo kun yun tweeter ay papalitan mo lang ng co-ax. malamang tonally hindi match yun 6' at yun balak nyo po ilagay na 4'co-ax maski crossed actively pa.

ma fu-fully utilize mo lang yun active x-over mo kun sa seperates mo talaga gagamitin. why not use it muna with your seperates I'm sure pwede naman yun at kaya nang amp patakbuhin. usually pag 6' na seperates mga 8ohms lang naman yan maski head unit kayang patakbuhin yan ng maayos.
    Kung afterward bitin ka padin somewhere (highs or mids/vocals) then proceed from there.

pag bumili ka kasi ng co-ax (which I think won't work well with what you have) gastos na yun tapos pag hindi match yun expectations mo gastos ka uli para palitan. try mo muna with what you have on hand (i'm assuming nasa inyo na yung active x-over at amp/s).

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    From my understanding, you have a 6 1/2" midbass on your doors and do not like your crossover and tweeter so you want to go full-active and simply smack a 4" coaxials on the space between the windshield and sail panel (yun kagaya ng mga Honda Jazz/Civic right? Quarter window?). Tama ba?

I would recommend just purchasing a tweeter and putting it into the sail panels. Less hassle and less frills for you.

Theoretically, okay naman yun plano mo. Midbass handles the midbass while the coaxials handles the midrange and tweeter. Do midranges need space? Yes they do unless you're planning on cutting it pretty high (the lower it is, the more "space" you need).

6. Join Date
    May 2011
    Sounds like a good idea, to get a 3 way going in the front. I had something similar before, I had 6" midbass, 4" midrange and a 1" tweeter all in the front. In the back are just Subs. Just make sure you get your cut-offs in the active cross over correctly, or it could sound bad. I had my 6" midbass before at 80hz to 225hz, I used 2pcs of 2 ways active x-over to get a bandpass.

The Coaxial is actually really good in terms of staging, since the midrange and tweeter are firing from the same axis, sadly though most coaxial use crappy tweeters. I don't know if a 4" is available, but MB Quart makes those coaxial that are bi-ampable and comes with an external passive crossover, so basicaly a seperates but in a coaxial configuration.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rattrapante View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, to get a 3 way going in the front. I had something similar before, I had 6" midbass, 4" midrange and a 1" tweeter all in the front. In the back are just Subs. Just make sure you get your cut-offs in the active cross over correctly, or it could sound bad. I had my 6" midbass before at 80hz to 225hz, I used 2pcs of 2 ways active x-over to get a bandpass.

The Coaxial is actually really good in terms of staging, since the midrange and tweeter are firing from the same axis, sadly though most coaxial use crappy tweeters. I don't know if a 4" is available, but MB Quart makes those coaxial that are bi-ampable and comes with an external passive crossover, so basicaly a seperates but in a coaxial configuration.
    Thanks sa mga input. I'll try the quarter glass coax plan ko, since may mahihiram naman ako na 4" coaxials. ang problem ko na lang is I have to make resistor chips para sa Audiocontrol xover. I'll try 225hz baka machambahan ko na maganda tunog sa first attempt. If not, madugong kalas-gawa-kalas-gawa ang mangyayari. Thanks again for all your tips mga ser!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I doubt it'll go as low as 225hz, try nevertheless.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    I doubt it'll go as low as 225hz, try nevertheless.
    Haha. My bad. I misread mr.rattrapante's reply. His midbasses pala played up to 225hz. ser jhnkvn, ask ko lang if yun pa rin ang pods mo sa ride nyo? are those 4" or 3"? Anong hipass setting if you don't mind? Pagmataas sobra I'm gonna end up with a tweeter within a LARGER tweeter on each quarter. sagwa

4" coaxials as part of a 3-way...possible?