New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Though it is bit hard to debate on these things if we haven't even driven yet even the "slow and heavy" M6.

Heck, give me an M6 and the word Porsche wouldn't even cross my mind for the next 10 years. :bwahaha:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But honestly, if I have the capacity, I'll always yearn for a Turbo 911 and an M5 in my garage... Regardless of what year it may be...

You just gotta have both if you want mean machines

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005

wait for this...eto na, yung souped up version nito ang susunod ng BMW.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    So friends, this is what a thread reply should not be.

Most of the answers were indeed helpful, and it's not true that they didn't matter to me. You guys gave logical replies based on what you know, and I appreciate it. Meanwhile, I also have these thoughts in me that I wish to express. BMW can really create a proper 911 rival. Yes, the 6-Series is of similar pricing, but it's just too cumbersome to exploit true sports car manners. Compared to the Porsche, it's nowhere near in handling, even in top M6 trim.

The outgoing E46 M3 is also a little bit too large to match the agility of the 911. I have no doubt it had a great engine and chassis, but had it been smaller, it might have even beaten the Porsche. The CSL, AFAIK, didn't really make its mark. Unexpectedly, its biggest rival was the standard M3. It's about 16K pounds more expensive but only marginally better in performance. Less than that amount can turn the base model into a similar performer, and you get to choose colors (only gray for the CSL).

Yeah, maybe the Z4 coupe will be the best GT candidate for BMW at the moment, but a bigger brother to this car is a more proper answer to what's the best definition of a proper GT, the 911. It may not yet be the time to fight the likes of Ferrari during the Z8 heyday, but don't you just think it's good that they finally put ultimate driving experience into motion?
    Actually, the M6 is definitely a serious GT. Big and heavy it may be, but handling wise, everyone is all praises for it.

The M3 was never too big for the Porsche... just too heavy. The CSL did fit the bill perfectly (in some track tests, it could beat the 911, but mostly because of the excellent Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires) but yes, it was too similar to the base M3 at too high a price to effectively make a mark.

I'd lay my money on a CSL M6 as the "proper" BMW GT... hopefully without the AT or that ridiculously fragile electronic differential. But, as I said, the 911 and the M-cars are getting very close to being "supercars".

But the Z4 M-coupe will will definitely be BMW's finest sports car to date. One can only hope they bring it here.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08

wait for this...eto na, yung souped up version nito ang susunod ng BMW.
    What series is this? It looks more like a 2-door 5-Series.

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Actually, the M6 is definitely a serious GT. Big and heavy it may be, but handling wise, everyone is all praises for it.

The M3 was never too big for the Porsche... just too heavy. The CSL did fit the bill perfectly (in some track tests, it could beat the 911, but mostly because of the excellent Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires) but yes, it was too similar to the base M3 at too high a price to effectively make a mark.

I'd lay my money on a CSL M6 as the "proper" BMW GT... hopefully without the AT or that ridiculously fragile electronic differential. But, as I said, the 911 and the M-cars are getting very close to being "supercars".

But the Z4 M-coupe will will definitely be BMW's finest sports car to date. One can only hope they bring it here.
    With all due respect, the 6-Series is a great handler in its own right. It's just that the 911, being much smaller and lighter, beats the BMW in this aspect by a notch or two.

Issues surrounding BMW's sporting cars are size and weight. They have always been 'close but not quite.' Other cars, the 911 most especially, just tend to be a step ahead, but not by far. I'm keeping my hopes high in the upcoming Z4M, and maybe I'll just have to sit and wait for the success of this car. Then I can anticipate the 911 killer!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    your wish may soon come true, though not from BMW, but from it's rival audi. it's called the audi r8, based on their concept car Le Mans Quattro. it shares the same chassis as the Gallardo. it'll have the same price as the 911, but 200 more horses under the hood.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

2006 BMW M Roadster
    330hp 3.2L straight-six (taken from the M3)
    0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds

8. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08
    OT: When oh when will the day come that BMWs will stop looking like Korean cars? Mr. Bangle should move to Hyundai or Kia...

In defense of sir squala, if Porsche can stay independent up to now making sports cars, then it must have a profitable market.

The 6-series was a letdown for me... inabangan ko talaga... ang pangit!

I sure hope there's gonna be a re-styled M6CSL...

Isn't Porsche coming out with a sports sedan called the Panamera?

I kinda like it's looks better than the M5.
    Last edited by Flagg; March 24th, 2006 at 04:57 AM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT
    your wish may soon come true, though not from BMW, but from it's rival audi. it's called the audi r8, based on their concept car Le Mans Quattro. it shares the same chassis as the Gallardo. it'll have the same price as the 911, but 200 more horses under the hood.
    Damn, now what I'm looking for will be coming from a company supposedly inferior to BMW. I just hope when this Audi comes out, they will accomplish a better rival.

Quote Originally Posted by flagg
    In defense of sir squala, if Porsche can stay independent up to now making sports cars, then it must have a profitable market.

The 6-series was a letdown for me... inabangan ko talaga... ang pangit!

I sure hope there's gonna be a re-styled M6CSL...

Isn't Porsche coming out with a sports sedan called the Panamera?
    Thanks flagg. I'm glad somebody finally got my point. The 6-Series, for me, is a car that BMW could have done away with. First, it's not beautiful; looks much like a whale. Second, compared to the 5-Series, you pay more for worse ingress/egress, as well as less comfort for the back passengers. The premium you pay can actually get you a good deal of home improvement, or a cheap, decent second car.

In juxtaposing the M5 and M6, Clarkson (of Top Gear) also can't find a way to justify the coupe's price over the sedan, which barely has performance and handling loss, yet subjectively better looking.

Had they created the 'Z6' and price it below an equivalent 911, I'm quite confident there will be a good following.

Lastly, some liquid sedan concept Porsche's got there!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Why no proper coupe for BMW?