New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    BMW has struggled since the launch of its 1 Series in October 2004 to convince the market that a small rear-drive hatchback is the equivalent of a front-driver.

It depends on just where the equivalencies are: A rear-drive configuration might offer potential dynamic advantages but, in terms of packaging efficiencies, there’s no question that front-wheel drive has the game sewn up.

So while we don’t contest the claim that a rear-drive chassis appeals more to the inner racer that drives many of us, we do question its relevance in a market segment where pragmatism generally has the upper hand.

Witness how Benz and Audi are travelling with their respective front-drive small cars (and BMW’s plans for the 1 Series hatch when it comes up for replacement).

At the time of writing this review at the end of 2015, current sales figures tell something of a story: Year to date, Audi maintains a strong lead in the premium small car segment with 5720 A3s sold, while Mercedes-Benz has found 3367 A-Class buyers. BMW has sold just 2152 1 Series models in the same period.

Putting aside the usual variables such as new-model introductions, facelifts and short-term sales drives, it seems clear that BMW’s German small-car competitors are undoubtedly enjoying a degree of success that is eluding the Bavarians.

And this seems to be in spite of a big refresh of the 1 Series BMW in June 2015.

Billed as “one of the most significant mid-cycle facelifts in the company’s recent history”, the updated 1 Series doesn’t appear to be doing much for the company’s bottom line in Australia.

None of this is to denigrate the 1 Series. Despite its entry-level pricing and despite being the smallest BMW currently on offer in Australia, the compact platform has spawned some appealing variants including the 1 Series coupe and convertible, and the climactic 240kW/450Nm turbo-six M135i that is tagged at $62,900 before on-road costs.

In mid-life facelift form, the 1 Series acquires a more resolved, slightly edgier presence that adds extra cachet while introducing a whole lot of new features emphasising its premium status.

The $36,900 (before ORCs) base-level 118i 1 Series hatchback now comes with standard eight-speed Steptronic auto transmission, a rear view camera, rain sensor wipers, climate-control, ‘Business’ sat-nav and BMW’s ConnectedDrive system that brings a host of functions including real time traffic information, automated call-out in the event of an accident and access to internet-based services such as news, weather and Google.

Entry-level 1 Series also now come in Sport Line trim, which includes 16-inch star-spoke alloys as well as numerous external niceties including a reworked grille, the appearance of black chrome on the exhaust outlet and various applications of gloss-black finish around the front end and within the rear bumper. Not a bad load of kit for a base model, and pretty successful in lifting the 1 Series a notch or two higher in terms of its premium small-car standing.

For a significant $3400 more than the 100kW/220Nm 1.6-litre turbo 118i, the next step up the 1 Series ladder is the 110kW/320Nm 2.0-litre 118d turbo-diesel that not only bumps up the engine size and power, but also brings faster acceleration and better economy/emissions figures.

The diesel gets to 100km/h in 8.1sec where the 118i takes 8.7, and achieves 3.8 L/100km and just 99g/km against the 118i’s quoted 5.6L/100km and 133g/km.

For a diesel, the 118d is pretty refined. It’s not too hard to think of other four-cylinder oilers that are much more intrusive than the muted 2.0-litre BMW. And I’m not certain on this, but the auto start-stop function appears to be a lot smoother than I remember of earlier BMW diesel-based systems.

It delivers its power readily too, muscling easily along the freeway and, with its maximum 320Nm of torque available from just 1500rpm (and continuing through to 3000rpm) surging off the line with alacrity and continuing past the 4000rpm where maximum kilowatts are developed.

Indeed, it’s a strong, flexible engine and, although it could easily cope with fewer ratios, the new eight-speed auto plays a part in the 118d’s liveliness. It shifts smoothly and intuitively to maximise power if you want it, or produce the best possible consumption figures. That said, our on-test average of 6.5L/100km was virtually twice the official claim of 3.8.

Also welcome in the 1 Series is the braking function within the cruise control system that allows the car to proceed downhill without drifting towards illegal speeds.

Ride quality is probably best seen as BMW-consistent. The degree of wheel travel feels okay, the initial impact harshness is fine (the car is fitted with run-flat tyres) and it generally steers away from the overly sporty spectrum, but there were times when our 118d felt a bit short-wheelbase pitchy --not exactly un-nerved by choppy surfaces, but enough to have the driver more carefully seeking the smooth line than in a longer-wheelbase car.

And, inevitably, we come to the small BMW’s only real downfall when compared with its front-drive competitors – those unfortunate rear-seat passengers who happen to be seated behind tall up-front occupants.

The latest generation 1 Series packaging is better than the original 2004 version, but we’d be kidding ourselves if we believed BMW has the cabin accommodation issues sorted.

This hatch is unquestionably tight in the back, not just for legroom, but also for foot room where a pair of size 11 shoes will regularly find themselves tangled under the front seats. Thankfully headroom is fine, compensating to some degree the otherwise squeezy aft cabin.

In contrast, the driver and front-seat passenger are treated like royalty with a pair of manual-adjusted sport seats that provide almost-indulgent degrees of comfort and support, even stretching to lower cushion extensions that enable high levels of personalisation. And although general adjustments for height, tilt, backrest angle and reach are done manually, a nice touch is the electro-pneumatic backrest side support function.

In terms of general presentation, the driver’s environment is quickly dialled into. iDrive remains one of my favourite control systems and the general layout is clear and un-confusing. About the only thing that reminds this is the entry-level BMW is the smallish 6.5-inch display screen.

While we’re picking there is still a lack of places to store oddments within the cabin -- just the bare essentials such as a smallish centre console and narrow door pockets.

The boot is competitive but not outstanding, with a seats-up capacity of 360 litres that is expandable to 1200 litres with all back seats folded down. And, with run-flat tyres on all four corners, there’s no spare.

So how does the BMW 118d compare with its Teutonic competitors?

Well, although the 1 Series hatch measures almost ridiculously close to Audi’s A3 and the Mercedes-Benz A-Class in terms of dimensions and weights, and competes satisfactorily in terms of boot space, it is simply not as efficient at providing room for four (or so) adult passengers.

This makes for a tighter feel in the cabin when at least a couple of tallish passengers are aboard.

Sure, the on-road charms of the rear-drive 1 Series are evident to those who notice such things. But then again, the Audi and Benz acquit themselves pretty reasonably too. It all comes down to packaging priorities and brand loyalty.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    hi everyone im planning to buy 2012 audi a4 2.0 tdi. what are the things i should look out for? how much is maintenance cost? and how's the reliability? thanks!!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    The cost of a very high one, I'm thinking about will buy it