New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Should I overbore the engine to get more horses?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • There are other ways to get horses that are better

3 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Was wondering if anyone has done this here. Am a newbie to this and was also wondering how it can be done if ever and if there are any available parts out there to enable it. We normally do it for other cars but this is my first foray with an E36 and was thinking of the different ways to squeeze more HP out of it.

Any thoughts?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you tried looking into other options like piggyback ECU tuning or even turbochargers?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Have you tried looking into other options like piggyback ECU tuning or even turbochargers?
    Can you elaborate on how that can be done since am a bit old school.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the easy part is having a machine shop increase the diameter of the cylinders

the harder part is looking for bigger pistons for the engine

better look for bigger pistons first dude

you might end up with an overbored block with no pistons to put in

--

piggyback ECUs alter the signals sent to the ECU, makes the ECU think it is getting more/less air, so more/less fuel is injected (piggybacks alter factory fuel mapping)

--

if i were you, i would turbocharge the engine

boost is much more fun than NA (naturally aspirated)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Can you elaborate on how that can be done since am a bit old school.
    Assuming you are asking about the programable ECU...

Some shops like SPEEDLAB offer a piggyback programmable ECU (UNICHIP) to add on to your car's existing ECU. With this, you can change the operating parameters or even add new features to how your engine runs.

The factory spec ecu is programed so that it would run on nearly any gasoline type with reliability. That leaves some degree of gains if you are willing to have it tuned beyond "factory" specifications and maybe use higher octane gasoline too (like V-Power, etc).

Plus side of this is you can retail the fuel economy of low RPM range of your engine and the power from the higher RPM band.

you can inquire if SPEEDLAB's ecu (UNICHIP) is compatible with your wallet. Their website is: http://www.speedlab.com.ph/

And then if you still feel you want more power, you can choose going nitrous or turbo. The UNICHIP will still be used if you go turbo.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 6th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    That looks cool.

Was planning to check them out this weekend so could be interesting to ask them about the Unichip. Couldn't find the turbocharger for a BMW so will have to ask them as well. But that will definitely break the bank compared to a UNICHIP.

But some international forums say that the germans didn't want people tinkering with their mapping so e36s may not be able to utilize the full potential of a piggyback ECU
    Last edited by gearhead; November 6th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    no need for BMW specific turbocharger

any small Garrett or IHI will do

then an intercooler, all the necessary piping

fuel enrichment -- bigger injectors, higher flowing fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... we chipped the supposedly unchippable Lynx with the Unichip... so if it can be done, the Unichip can do it.

You can ask at Speedlab for the contact number of Bernard. He's the guy who did the headworks on my Lynx, and he's something of an expert on tuning and turbocharging old 3-series cars. He can point you at what does and doesn't work for your engine.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Uls is right.

SPEEDLAB can make a custom turbo for the car if you are willing to spend for it. It will take time and you'll need to leave the car there while they develop the setup.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    honestly if you have the budget.. it would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand engine with manual tranny of a e36 325i. than installing a turbo or whatnot.It will not give you the smile of the smooth power of the m50b25 engine. My friend did this he spent less than 200k for the engine,tranny,wiring harness , suspension , and labor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Can you overbore a E36 316i's engine? If so how?