New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Should I overbore the engine to get more horses?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • There are other ways to get horses that are better

3 100.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8 View Post
    honestly if you have the budget.. it would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand engine with manual tranny of a e36 325i. than installing a turbo or whatnot.It will not give you the smile of the smooth power of the m50b25 engine. My friend did this he spent less than 200k for the engine,tranny,wiring harness , suspension , and labor.
    Wow. Gravedig.

A custom turbokit at Speedlab starts at 150k. Even if you add in an original Garrett, it'll still come in under 200k.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Wow. Gravedig.

A custom turbokit at Speedlab starts at 150k. Even if you add in an original Garrett, it'll still come in under 200k.
    honestly, 316i is only 102/105hp plus mabigat pa. If you're going to install turbo you'll raise it to 150-165hp w/o breaking anything.the amount your paying for a turbo isn't worth it thats just my opinion. a e36 325i engine w/manual tranny is better. (189-193hp stock)

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    honestly, 316i is only 102/105hp plus mabigat pa. If you're going to install turbo you'll raise it to 150-165hp w/o breaking anything.the amount your paying for a turbo isn't worth it thats just my opinion. a e36 325i engine w/manual tranny is better. (189-193hp stock)
    I'll give you that. It's likely the top end potential of the 1.6 is very minimal... but it'll still have more useable torque than a non-turbo 2.5. Really can't say anything about potential... I'm not a BMW tuner, but I have seen some turbocharged four-bangers, and they hold up very well (of course, they're 2.0s, not 1.6s).

But then again, the 2.5 sounds better, so you're probably right. I'm just not sure if they ever sold the 325i locally with a manual tranny.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I'll give you that. It's likely the top end potential of the 1.6 is very minimal... but it'll still have more useable torque than a non-turbo 2.5. Really can't say anything about potential... I'm not a BMW tuner, but I have seen some turbocharged four-bangers, and they hold up very well (of course, they're 2.0s, not 1.6s).

But then again, the 2.5 sounds better, so you're probably right. I'm just not sure if they ever sold the 325i locally with a manual tranny.
    i've driven a 316i with mossle man turbo. aint that great. I had a 1994 e36 325i 4 dr. that came from hahn manila waaay back.Must admit the 316i turbo had torque but it still can't keep up with the 325 you can get an engine and tranny in Q.C. at kyle's.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    i've driven a 316i with mossle man turbo. aint that great. I had a 1994 e36 325i 4 dr. that came from hahn manila waaay back.Must admit the 316i turbo had torque but it still can't keep up with the 325 you can get an engine and tranny in Q.C. at kyle's.
    What boost was it running? Sounds interesting.

Any contact numbers? Just in case someone I know is interested... ;)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    What boost was it running? Sounds interesting.

Any contact numbers? Just in case someone I know is interested... ;)
    im not sure what boost but that was waay back '98-'99. But that mossle man turbo was for the 316i before. It was only low boost.number of? kyle?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    im not sure what boost but that was waay back '98-'99. But that mossle man turbo was for the 316i before. It was only low boost.number of? kyle?
    Yeah, I know a few BMW owners south of Manila, and on the off-chance someone might need an engine, it would be good to know who to go to.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I know a few BMW owners south of Manila, and on the off-chance someone might need an engine, it would be good to know who to go to.
    I p.m.'d you.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I p.m.'d you.
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Can you overbore a E36 316i's engine? If so how?