New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by balongbalong View Post
    All cars regardless of brand and make when not maintained will obviously be not useable. Thats why the assumption is you really maintain just like any vehicle.

Now even if you do maintain a bimmer properly, it breaks down A LOT. Simply isn't reliable.

And if your definition via the article of a durable car is simply not a rust bucket, all modern cars, including e46 will be one eventually. Its metal, it will rust eventually including those 124s mentioned. Modern cars are just faster to become one. Its how cars are being made today with thin sheets of metals. My e85 has some already early on its life. Same with e46 they are prone to rust also. So they arent durable too as per the article.

Anyway the difference between old benzes and bimmers having a durable myth is because these cars had owners keep them, put money into restoring them.

If you do the same thing to any other vehicle, put money into restoring it and you too can add a durable tag to it if thats is your definition.

Thing with cars as long as you have the money and parts and willingness to maintian and restore it, you can run it forever. Just that not many people apply the same principle of keeping and restoring their econo jap boxes. But if they do its still cheaper to do so.
    That's why I agree on your earlier point by saying that the probability of getting the BMW and spending on repairs is higher than finding one that is ride and drive ready. My usual advise to friends who even entertain the thought of doing such (buying an old Benz or BMW), is its better to take the time to ask around and pay a premium to get one from an owner enthusiast who has spent considerable time and money in maintaining the vehicle than getting a cheap one off the classifieds.

My own take would be:

Durable - beat the hell out of the vehicle with minimal maintenance, and it will run hook or by crook; or leave the car uncared and unattended for several months and it will still start and run (let alone for how long it will run, or that nothing is undamaged or in need of attention... the point is it will at least run and get you to the shop on its own power ).

Reliable - it will get you from point A to B, but you do have to maintain it proactively and keep tabs on service bulletins and issues.

On rust though, i find modern vehicles to not rust as much as before, possibly due to better metallurgy/painting processes and/or design (to minimize water or moisture build-up around nooks and crevices).

We've had some EU vehicles from the 80s until the 90s and although you will love the balance, fit and finish, the Japs will still trump them in durability. Some even developed problems from spending too much time in the garage. The last being an E36 320i in the late 90s so i'll take your word on how owning the latter models are.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm also toying with the idea of an E46 325i or an E39 523i/528i.

I'm aware that it's a money pit for poorly-maintained units, so I'm just waiting for a serendipitous unit to come about. Preferably first-owned with no mods. I don't mind high-mileage as long as it's well taken care of.

Getting an E46 that has changed hands many times is surely a recipe for disaster. It's like playing Trip to Jerusalem with a time bomb. buying a BMW E46 316 for a daily driver. thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *jut703 - maybe you can drop by BNZ888 along Presidents Avenue in BF Homes. This is the shop frequented by Euro car owners in BF Homes. I guess they would know if an owner is trying to sell their E46 or E39. There are a few times in BF Homes where you can find some stock BMWs being displayed for sale along the streets.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Actively looking for it won't make it serendipitous ... waiting for a W211 E220 CDI in silver ...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Actively looking for it won't make it serendipitous ... waiting for a W211 E220 CDI in silver ...
    That's why I said I was just waiting for a unit to fall into my lap. Kung meron, nice. Kung wala, ok lang. I don't actively shop for one, as it's not really a priority for me. 😊

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    BMW?

Shop with one thing in mind.

Condition!

If its a daily drive BMW, here's what's in my mind.

Bmw R12Gs - Motorcycle Rack Carrier tow hitch For Sale Philippines - Find 2nd Hand (Used) Bmw R12Gs - Motorcycle Rack Carrier tow hitch On OLX

Last edited by lowslowbenz; September 21st, 2016 at 12:20 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I daily drove an e90 325i for three years. I got it at 19000kms and sold it at 82000kms.

If you are looking at the cost of ownership it is hard to beat a japanese car. In the time I had the e90 i replaced a 14000peso agm battery, 2 window regulators, electric water pump, 6 coil packs, failed alternator bearing, various plastic trim pieces (they get brittle and snap of in our climate) air con vents and wiper covers. Thankfully no electrical gremlins on my car appeared. Also a rule of thumb every 2nd brake pad change will require you to replace the front discs as well. I also replaced stabilizer links and some aluminum control arm bushings. Now some of these are normal wear and tear items but still i can't help think but i replaced them earlier or more frequently than id like to care if i got a japanese built sedan instead.

The car never stranded me though. So you could say it is reliable. But as compared to your normal japanese sedan definitely less durable.

Don't get me wrong though I still love german cars infact I still own one but fact of the matter is it will cost you more that owning a japanese sedan. Ang consuelo mo dito is really the driving experience.

P.s. if your dead set talaga try to find a good conditioned facelifted e46 325i m-sport but stay away from any form of SMG transmission of that era.
    Last edited by babkalakal; September 23rd, 2016 at 06:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123