New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Just saw an Ad for a 2006 BMW 318 Sport...22T kms only with 17" AC Schnitzer wheels priced at P1.2M.

Is this a good buy? How much trouble can I expect in terms of maintenance for a bimmer this old and with this mileage?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    i got to be honest with you, i know nothing regarding BMWs except they are expensive...But...2006 is not OLD yet!! and considering it's has only driven 22k kms....but i'm not sure about it as being a good buy...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    depends on what you mean by good buy.. if you are just after the price .. then yes.. its a fair price.

but if you are looking at long term ownership, then prepare to cash out huge amounts for repair and gas..

this brand does not come cheap

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    How reliable are beemers anyway? It seems that every thread I read warns about frequent repairs and high maintenance. Too many horror stories of parts breaking down once warranty expires...or even before that.

I know parts and services can be pricey compared to japanese cars and that is expected...but should I expect them to breakdown a lot...and so soon? For their high price, these cars should be pretty reliable, right?

A 3-5 year old Honda Civic if properly used and maintained is not a headache at all. Can I expect the same from a more expensive BMW?

Actual owners, please share your own experiences with your car.

Thanks
    Last edited by bynnos; February 1st, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi guys,

As a newly registered user I like to say hi to everyone who uses this forum. BMW is one of the best car making company. It is highly beautiful. Just saw an Ad for a 2006 BMW 318 Sport...22T kms only with 17" AC Schnitzer wheels priced at P1.2M. Is this a good buy? How much trouble can I expect in terms of maintenance for a bimmer this old and with this mileage? Thanks.

NYK
    Cheap Life Insurance

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is it the same car as the one the threadstarter was looking at?

anyway, to answer the post of the guy above - if a BMW is maintained well, it will not be a headache. but keep in mind that replacing parts is part of good maintenance, and BMW parts are much more expensive than those of Japanese cars (in general)

i've owned BMW's for 10 years and i maintain them strictly according to schedule. nothing but scheduled maintenance and minor problems, but yes - if they have to go to the shop be prepared to pay more

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i used to own a bimmer ('90 E34) parts are pretty sturdy and it is a reliable car if you maintain it properly ... the only reason i see that people complain about maintaining it is the price of maintaining it.

bottomline you pretty much do the same maintenance as lets say a japanese car it's just that for the bimmer it will cost you more i mean way more so that's why they say its sakit sa ulo kse nga magastos ...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    For that price, i'll look for a 2007 model instead since it already has the new design. Maintenance can be pricey but the driving experience you get is priceless =) Bili na!!!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I know this thread is about a 2006 model but let's take an old bmw as example. A 1996-98 316i, 318i or 320i. Generally, are the parts of these model (note year) much more expensive than a regular toyota (original parts not replacement). For subaru, it seems that a nubmer who owned one claimed that subaru parts is just about 10-15 more than OEM japanese parts. Can we put a figure for the bmw? Someone once told me that parts of the lower-end 316i (96-98) is abundant. If true, then how much more expensive are they (in general)? 20% more? 50% more? And how about the 318i? or, 320i?

Are there surplus bmw parts and where?

I won't be surprised if parts for 2000 and later models are really expensive.

2006 BMW 318 Sport - Good Buy?