New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I'm starting to get into detailing. As a beginner and somewhat a newbie when it comes to this, what is one step that I can add between washing and waxing?
    I'll add 1 step and make it a 3 step process. Then maybe later this month, add another step..if budget permits.

Here's an overview of my car's paint to give you an idea of what step I should add.
    My paint is red/maroon, a 1992 car. The paint has some quite a few scratches, a few deep, some aren't really deep. It's got some blemishes, and it seems that the clearcoat is very very minimal now. It lack's in depth, and the gloss/shine is just average. I hope to achieve a shiny/gloss to bring back some life. And I hope that I can clean up blemishes and the tiny scratches.

BTW, I'm using Atoy's Carwash shampoo, and I'm using TW Platinum Series.
    Thanks so much! Hopefully this can help other newbies like me,who want to get into detailing, but doesn't know where or how to start. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if the paint is in perfect shape, washing and waxing is all you need.

but in your case, i would recommend you clay the surface after washing, and then polish/glaze (preferably using a random orbital buffer for the polish steps. remember that the paint needs to be flawless after you perform these steps before you apply the wax.

good luck

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Rest... :D

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    if the paint is in perfect shape, washing and waxing is all you need.

but in your case, i would recommend you clay the surface after washing, and then polish/glaze (preferably using a random orbital buffer for the polish steps. remember that the paint needs to be flawless after you perform these steps before you apply the wax.

good luck
    Thanks so much for the information. I don't have an orbital buffer, would doing it by hand be as effective as well? I'll pick up some clay this week at Concorde.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^yup, by hand is fine, mas matrabaho lang. even pressure and even strokes.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    How about drying?

Seriously though. Instead of using the Quik Detailer as lubricant for using clay bars, you can also use the water before drying it up. Once it's dry you can proceed to do another rinsing then you can dry it up.

Once dried if the paint has oxidation you can use a good paint cleaner, or if you want it to shine you can polish it, or apply a glaze.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako, i use a quick detailer.

Washing and Waxing: What goes in between those 2 steps?