New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Nothing wrong with using a wax that has minor cleaning agents. A lot of waxes have them after all.

Truthfully, I'm one of those who likes dedicated products. So I want a wax that's just a dedicated wax. However, for people who have bought a TW Turtle Shell.. keep on using it. Don't just throw it away - ayan yun sayang.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    *jhnkvn

I was just a bit worried because I already used TW Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell on my new vehicle twice already in the past 6 months (bought it last June lang) and Im a bit worried na it may have compromised the clear coat surface. Kasi when the clear coat's gone, it's gone (I think)... :D

In any case, I'm not really thinking of disposing my Super Hard Shell. I'll keep it around for once a year (cleaner?) wax. Though its not categorized as a cleaner wax.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EmersonF View Post
    *jhnkvn

I was just a bit worried because I already used TW Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell on my new vehicle twice already in the past 6 months (bought it last June lang) and Im a bit worried na it may have compromised the clear coat surface. Kasi when the clear coat's gone, it's gone (I think)... :D

In any case, I'm not really thinking of disposing my Super Hard Shell. I'll keep it around for once a year (cleaner?) wax. Though its not categorized as a cleaner wax.

It's not bad for the paint it's a favorite in the states back in the days

4. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    It's not bad for the paint it's a favorite in the states back in the days
    Thanks. Yes, thats what Im seeing in US car detailing forums. It appears to still be the top favorite of Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell long time users. What I really like though with their comments is that even after so many, many years (decades) of use, their cars remain shiny and the paint color is still sharp...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    *EmersonF: Pure carnauba wax will not remove paint. Cleaner wax or All-in-one on the other hand, contains mild abrasives but enough only to remove minor swirl marks. This is still less aggressive than dedicated scratch/swirl removers.

I think you missed this entry from your FAQ link.

Does car wax remove the top layer of paint?
    No. Applying a wax product to your car's finish will not remove paint from your vehicle. Turtle Wax car polish/wax products do contain slight cleaning agents to remove waxy build up and mild oxidation but also adds a protective layer to your finish.
    Turtle Wax > FAQs

In terms of aggressiveness, I will rank products as follows:

Heavy compound (Most aggressive)
    Medium compound
    Medium polish - Scratch remover, Swirl remover
    Light polish - Cleaner polish, Finishing polish, Cleaner wax or All-in-one

How thick is your clear coat? How many times can you polish your car until you remove all the clear coat?

Clear coat = 50.8 microns (2 mils)
    Minor swirls = 0.5-1 micron
    Medium swirl = 1-2 microns
    Deep scratches = 3-4 microns

Assuming you will use cleaner wax or polish every 6 months to remove minor swirls (1 micron thickness), it will take 20-25 years to completely remove all clear coat. At that time, you would need to re-paint the car.

By the way, before I had switched to Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, I personally had used Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax. I don't know if this is similar to Super Hard Shell version as the packaging is different.

Last edited by red_one; November 25th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    *EmersonF: Pure carnauba wax will not remove paint. Cleaner wax or All-in-one on the other hand, contains mild abrasives but enough only to remove minor swirl marks. This is still less aggressive than dedicated scratch/swirl removers.

I think you missed this entry from your FAQ link.

Turtle Wax > FAQs

In terms of aggressiveness, I will rank products as follows:

Heavy compound (Most aggressive)
    Medium compound
    Medium polish - Scratch remover, Swirl remover
    Light polish - Cleaner polish, Finishing polish, Cleaner wax or All-in-one

How thick is your clear coat? How many times can you polish your car until you remove all the clear coat?

Clear coat = 50.8 microns (2 mils)
    Minor swirls = 0.5-1 micron
    Medium swirl = 1-2 microns
    Deep scratches = 3-4 microns

Assuming you will use cleaner wax or polish every 6 months to remove minor swirls (1 micron thickness), it will take 20-25 years to completely remove all clear coat. At that time, you would need to re-paint the car.

By the way, before I had switched to Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, I personally had used Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax. I don't know if this is similar to Super Hard Shell version as the packaging is different.

Red One, thanks for these info, really lifted a ton of weight of my mind. I thought I had scratched my clear coat away. In any case, I've got a few questions:

1. What do you think about Mothers Pure Carnauba California Gold Wax?

2. How much is Meguiar's Ultimate Wax and where can we buy it?

3. Is this a good 3-step process, do you think? Wash > Sealant > Wax (final, pure carnauba)
    I really not interested in cleaner waxes and clay bars as of the moment so I'm thinking of an efficient but not that shallow (Wash>Wax) step process.

As per your question, yes Turtle Wax Pure Carnauba is DIFFERENT from Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Saw these 2 products as 2 different items.

Thanks in advance, appreciate your input!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EmersonF View Post
    Red One, thanks for these info, really lifted a ton of weight of my mind. I thought I had scratched my clear coat away. In any case, I've got a few questions:

1. What do you think about Mothers Pure Carnauba California Gold Wax?
    I haven't used it but it should perform well. Mothers is a known car care brand just like Meguiar's.

2. How much is Meguiar's Ultimate Wax and where can we buy it?
    Meguiar's Ultimate Wax Paste (311g) - P2,450.00
    Meguiar's Ultimate Wax Liquid (473ml) - P2,450.00

Meguiars Philippines

3. Is this a good 3-step process, do you think? Wash > Sealant > Wax (final, pure carnauba)
    I really not interested in cleaner waxes and clay bars as of the moment so I'm thinking of an efficient but not that shallow (Wash>Wax) step process.
    If you are content with current paint condition, then you can omit claying and polishing steps. Go ahead with your Wash > Sealant > Wax plan. Back read on the 'Detailing' thread and 'Tamang OC' thread as your question was already discussed there.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Thanks Red One.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    may nakatry na ba ng Ice product line ng Turtle Wax? abrasive ba siya? Share naman ng experience niyo. Thanks!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Beney Andresio View Post
    may nakatry na ba ng Ice product line ng Turtle Wax? abrasive ba siya? Share naman ng experience niyo. Thanks!
    I use the Spray version. OK naman kasi it is very easy to apply & remove, no white residue & I can use it on hot surface. It doesn't last as long as paste waxes pero for me, on lang kasi I like to wax my car weekly. The spray version doesn't seem to be abrasive.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
TurtleWAX - good or bad?