New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Tsikoteers,

I've recently purchased a 2nd hand black 2004 vios 1.5G. The paint is in pretty excellent condition except for the usual very light scratches and swirls (hindi ko pa na d-detail eh, hehe)

My problem is the hood - it has tiny paint chips, and one small one na down to the metal yung pag chip (may tumalbog na unidentified flying object on my hood while driving, ouch!). I want to restore the hood so that I can keep the entire body paint in as excellent a condition as possible with regular detailing. I have three options:

1) DIY chip repair by treating and painting the chipped areas with the same paint color (extreme black) and hopefully hindi siya masyadong halata, especially with detailing after. Advantage - cheap; disadvantage - might end up looking bad, baka maya't maya ma tanggal din yung nirepair ko

2) Have the entire hood repainted. (How much kaya kung hood lang repaint?) Advantage - good as new; Disadvantage - waiting time and slightly more expensive than #1

3) Or, buy a carbon fiber hood para wala nang chips in the future (tama nga ba?) Also considering this because sa experience ko, the first panel to have paint problems is the hood because of its double heat exposure. Advantage - longer hood aesthetic life, no chips/cracked paint; Disadvantage - expensive, different color/design (crosshatching), baka mag mukhang baduy since hindi naman pormado talaga kotse ko, family car.

I'm not familiar with CF hoods so if mali mga assumptions ko, please correct me.

So, any suggestions on what's my best solution? My main concern is preserving the paint and look of the car. It goes without saying, kung makaktipid, eh di better

Salamat!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    For me color black is one of a color hard to maintain as you said swirl and scratches are visible . Bring it to the detailing shop first let them see the paint chip down to the metal ask them how they can restore the paint so you have an idea .

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Detailers cannot restore chipped paints.

I would suggest number 2 because that would be the best choice.

Meron bang hood insulator yung Vios mo?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Yes. Chipped paint na yan, detailers cannot restore that or make a remedy for it.

I really wouldn't suggest #3 since your car is pretty close to stock. And, medyo baduy ang CF hood sa stock na car.

Choice 2 would be your best bet. Have your whole hood repainted, call up some shops and ask for an estimate. ;)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bombitmd View Post
    Tsikoteers,

I've recently purchased a 2nd hand black 2004 vios 1.5G. The paint is in pretty excellent condition except for the usual very light scratches and swirls (hindi ko pa na d-detail eh, hehe)

My problem is the hood - it has tiny paint chips, and one small one na down to the metal yung pag chip (may tumalbog na unidentified flying object on my hood while driving, ouch!). I want to restore the hood so that I can keep the entire body paint in as excellent a condition as possible with regular detailing. I have three options:

1) DIY chip repair by treating and painting the chipped areas with the same paint color (extreme black) and hopefully hindi siya masyadong halata, especially with detailing after. Advantage - cheap; disadvantage - might end up looking bad, baka maya't maya ma tanggal din yung nirepair ko

2) Have the entire hood repainted. (How much kaya kung hood lang repaint?) Advantage - good as new; Disadvantage - waiting time and slightly more expensive than #1

3) Or, buy a carbon fiber hood para wala nang chips in the future (tama nga ba?) Also considering this because sa experience ko, the first panel to have paint problems is the hood because of its double heat exposure. Advantage - longer hood aesthetic life, no chips/cracked paint; Disadvantage - expensive, different color/design (crosshatching), baka mag mukhang baduy since hindi naman pormado talaga kotse ko, family car.

I'm not familiar with CF hoods so if mali mga assumptions ko, please correct me.

So, any suggestions on what's my best solution? My main concern is preserving the paint and look of the car. It goes without saying, kung makaktipid, eh di better

Salamat!
    Carbon fiber hood is not the solution. It has its own share of problems including the clear resin turning yellowish from age and exposure to the sun. It's also more expensive than repainting the damaged hood.

To protect the paint, there is a product that is a clear sticker that helps the paint to resist damage (scratches, chipping).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bombitmd View Post
    Tsikoteers,

Salamat!
    Carbon fiber hood is not the solution. It has its own share of problems including the clear resin turning yellowish from age and exposure to the sun. It's also more expensive than repainting the damaged hood.

To protect the paint, there is a product that is a clear sticker that helps the paint to resist damage (scratches, chipping).

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Best choice would be #2.

I've read sa website ng Club7thgen yung X5 paint shop sa Makati, you can check it out. The owner told me na 2800 ang pahilamos sa hood/roof. 2500 naman per panel. Just FYI. BTW, magaling sila gumawa.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks everyone! So it's #2 FTW!

*Starex - yup, may hood insulator pa naman

*ghosthunter - oo nga, I've read somewhere about that clear sticker; i wonder where available yan dito... and how much kaya...

*chik - thanks for the suggestion; will look into it

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help

Saving my car's hood