New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    mga sir, turuan nyo ko ng proper detailing.. first tym kc ako mgtry na DIY ng pagdetail ng tsikot ko... tnx

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nat2x View Post
    mga sir, turuan nyo ko ng proper detailing.. first tym kc ako mgtry na DIY ng pagdetail ng tsikot ko... tnx

Www.autopia.org. Hang around for a while and you'll be a pro soon.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    You can also read the Detailing Thread. Search mo na lang.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    thank you mga sir

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    To the thread starter, how is the condition of your paint? if you could post some good pics of it then it'll help us a lot on the steps you might have to take to make your car look good ---> better ---> best...

Oh well, why don't I start with this; since you haven't had much experience detailing and seem to haven't fully understand the concepts of every each step, I suggest you taking the time to analyze and understand the purpose of each process of detailing... Just take the time and you'll learn as you go along. If you seriously want to learn how to detail, experience is what will take you there...

IMHO, these are the steps you might want to take for now, then later on it's up to you where you want to adjust from/to... You can start off with;

1.Wash your car with a carwash, don't use shampoo or some dish detergent because they contain stuff that are too harsh for the clear/paint...
    (When washing, be sure to get your hand on every each corner of the car. Also, pick a nice wash mitt... this is also important because if you use a sponge, some towel, or anything that isn't well kept to wash your car, you're creating swirls that will be noticeable after several times... I use a 100% genuine sheepskin wash mitt from AutoGeek.net. If you don't have access to this, just get something new from the store and take care maintaining it.)

2. CLAYBAR IS A MUST when you speak of "TRUE DETAILING" although you would only have to use it once/twice a year. If you do not use clay, then you are not detailing your car... after you wash the car, rinse it, then clay it, don't dry the paint just yet... You will also have to have a spray bottle of lubricant (water will work fine) as you clay because you want to keep the paint lubricated that way the claybar wont stick on the paint...
    (Why do you have to clay anyways? Your clear coat or paint (if it's a single stage paint car), has caught all kinds of dirts that are not visible and can not be removed by just washing nor polishing. The clear coat is contaminated and dirts are stucked on them. Claying is found the best way to remove all these contaminants off of the surface to make it TRUELY smooth. I think claying is the biggest contribution to detailing. After you clay you can defihnitely feel the difference as you pass your palms along the surface, you'll feel (instead of seeing) how smooth the surface is now that you just cleaned the clear coat/paint. If you do not clay the whole car, you will NEVER achieve the best out of the paint, and thus, you can't tell anyone that you detailed the car.)

3.Wash the car again.
    (why? Even after you clayed, there are still contaminants left on the surface that were not picked up by the clay bar as it passes coast to coast, especially if the clay bar looks like it's been used numerous times before... This time you don't need to soap it, just water and wash mitt is good enough.)

4. Dry
    (DO NOT USE the rubber blade-like thing that they use in the gas station to wipe your windshield, they’re no good to the surface of the car. Drying is also one of the process that are overlooked by many. As you dry your car you' might also be creating swirls depending on what you're using to dry it with. I use the Absorber (works like a chamois but better). I do not dry the car completely with the Absorber though, I use microfiber towels to completely dry it. If you use some towel, you might end up dusting the rest of the surface.)

5. what do you need/want to do? Polish? Wax? Sealant? Your choice of finsh…

***Notice how you should be very picky with the tools you use and how careful you should be before you get to the last step? That’s because The Main Key to True Detailing is how you prep your car. The steps you take will either lead you to a mirror finish or not… If you summarize it, you’ll realize that it’s really not that complicated, just wash, clay, wash, dry, and finish… that’s it, but why are so many people not satisfies with the result of their job? That’s probably because they overlook the most important part of detailing, which is preparing for the final finish. Instead, so many people focus more on applying wax thinking that it’s the most important part of the process when it is actually the least…

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    It's in the document I posted... Basically a glaze fills swirls and acts like a very fine polish that lays on top of the paint to create a flat surface. Provides very little protection and washes off in a couple of washes. Best to use before waxing and after polishing.
    I’m not trying to knock what you said TheVeed, but based on my understanding and experience, a glaze is something all opposite of what you mentioned. A Glaze should be used as the final finish, it provides the longest lasting protection to the surface of the car, it does provide deeper better shine. It takes more than 5 washes to take the Glaze off once they harden on the surface after certain number of hours. A glaze does NOT fill swirls, a Glaze is literally a “glaze”. What fills the swirls are the abrasives you apply, which contain “fillers” which then fill swirls and minor scratches. Also, a glaze isn’t supposed to be used right after the polish, a glaze don’t just stick onto something, it may, but it may not last as long as it is supposed to. In my case, a Klasse is specialized to stick on top of the AIO, I don’t know what alternative you can use on place of the AIO in that matter. A wax is not certainly necessary after the Glaze, some people do it, and those who do are who compete their showcars in carshows. But I don’t see why I would bother to use wax after the Klasse SG. I could definitely see myself through the surface after the SG.

I have a P21S wax laying in the shelf in the garage for 2 years now, I’ve only used it at most, 3 times, and never used it on my own car. Just bought it to give it a try.

A sealant replaces a wax in function, it acts the same way as a wax, which is provide a sacrificial layer for the paint for damages to land on.
    I didn’t get what you were trying to say here, but once again, a sealant is completely different from wax, the only thing they compare when it comes to is the shine they create. Well, wax gives slightly better shine in the first 2 days but not noticeable, sealant lasts 20 times longer than any wax will do, and sealant looks the same as when just applied after every each wash…

It's best not to use both in order to maximize the properties of each product's qualities... If you use a wax on top of a sealant, usually the sealant's durability suffers...
    Eventually, it’s best to use both. Again, if you apply wax after sealant it’s gonna give the car a deeper shine and color, but then the wax melts down and gets evaporated so quickly that it now all comes down to just the Sealant. The wax being on top of the sealant has nothing to do to affect the sealants durability. That will only happen IFF you apply the wax less than 24 hours after you applied the sealant. You have to give the sealant the time to harden before anything else, otherwise it’ll become quite useless… Some detailers I know/have talked to advise me to apply another coat of Sealant Glaze after a week, that way the previous coat has reached it’s full potential in terms of bonding and durability. A sealant seals the car.

Klasse, Zaino, etc are all synthetics that takes more knowledge to understand what they're specialties are, but the secret to great looking paint is still polishing and compounding (if needed)
    The secret to great looking paint is how you prep it before polishing/compound. You can’t just polish if it’s not prepped right, otherwise you’ll end up messing up the paint by filling it with invisible contaminants you forgot to pick up by claying.

all the best topping products (sealants and waxes) just enhances what's underneath (the paint itself). AIO is an all in one cleaner, polish and acrylic sealant. Think of it as a synthetic cleaner wax...
    You’re right about the first sentence, but IMO you’re wrong to think that an AIO is a synthetic cleaner wax, AIO isn’t a wax at all… I would just never think of something to be something else it is completely not…

Oh, before I forget to mention, I am a long time user of Klasse AIO & SG and I can assure those who are thinking of buying it that you will not regret it. They are very great products for the money. I have an 8oz AIO and a 16oz SG. How long have I been using them? More than 2 years now, how much is left? I still have 7/10 of AIO and about 8/10 of SG. I only need to apply them twice/thrice a year because they provide me a very long lasting shine and protection from weather (summer, rain, winter). I do not detail for a living and thus I don’t apply use them every month or so. They are a lifetime product to me. I have heard other products that work as great if not better than Klasse but I haven’t tried them since I am satisfied with Klasse already, and I still have so much left before I run out and try something else…

Happy Detailing!
    Joven

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    malamang expert detailer na yung thread starter. 2004 pa siya nagtanong.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    oh shyt, hndi ko napansin yun ah! wahahhha, Nat2x kase binuhay pa yung thread! LOL... hahah

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Very informative Blink. Thanks for the effort.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    you can also get tips at our site www.bigberts.org in forums- detail hut and FAQ's section

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    grabe! sobrang dami ko na222nan dito sa thread na to! salamat mga sir!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Proper/Correct Detailing Plan