New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have a paint sprayer yata yun.. light duty lang po... yung ndi po gumagamit ng compressors... electric lang po.. u think kaya ko po magpintura ng ilalim ng pajero magisa? hehe.. yung two tone area? i want to learn to paint kasi.. and at the same time save some money... madali lang po ba ito? meron po kayong alam na websyts na guide to diy painting? tnx po

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nakaka takot yang project mo using the electric spray gun....kasi ang alam ko malalaki ang droplets nyan. Anyways depende pa rin naman sa galing mo iyan.

1) In my limited knowledge, first step is to know your existing paint na papatungan....urethane, acrylic, lacquer,etc....the paint should match else me tendency na hindi kakapit or bubula.

2) Next important thing is to remove the "wax" (including hidden waxes) in the paint (specially sa area na ipepaint mo)....there are wax removing shampoo or whatever na designed for this.....

2a) part of the PREP or preparation step din ang tamang wet sanding (medium grit)....isasand paper mo ang area to match create a surface na puedeng kapitan ng new paint and pantayin ang imperfections sa area to be painted.

2b) another important part sa PREP ay ang pag-mask (cover with masking tape, plastic or whatever) ang portion that need not be painted. Get a good and new masking tape....don't use old ones...mahirap alisin o di dumidikit ng husay minsan and thus may cause the paint to "penetrate" the area which shouldn't be painted.

3) Spraying na .... PRIMER (that matches your paint).....wet sanding (fine grit)....1st coat of PAINT.....wet sanding (very fine grit).... 2nd coat of PAINT.....wet sanding again (if needed).....3rd up to until you are satisfied with the consistency. Depending on your paint....a required "rest" or curring time between coats may be needed.

4) When you are satisfied with the color na ..... spray TOP COAT (mixture of clear top coat paint with the color paint would be a good combination)....wet sand (very very fine grit) to remove the roughness of the paint....2nd spray of top coat and so on (alternating the process)....observe drying time between coat as per paint recommendation. Paint CURRING might be needed before next step (depende sa paint minsan more than 1 month ang curring time).

5) If satisfied na and cured na ang paint....time to make it very glossy....a rubbing compound (liquid type suggested) should remove the "very very fine sanding scratches"......when pantay na....go with a step 1 (meguire), kun makinis na then step 2 (mequire) and pagwala na ang mga swirl marks finally step 3 (mequire) for the final shine.....

6) If youre happy na ..... then its time to wax with a carnuba wax.... then polish the wax.

good luck....my 2 cents.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mahirap na project yan without the proper skill and equipment... dont forget the important water separator.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup 9 years of selling automotive paint,
    i have all the gears (spraygun/aircompressor/ you name it i have it)
    with me and still cannot perfect the art.

hanggang furniture lang kaya kong i paint

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    being a former professional painter i would would never recommend a full paint job as a DIY - there are too many minute things that can go wrong, from improper prep to not cleaning and fully sanding every square inch of the surface (sure way to cause peeling), improper color matching, fisheye, i can go on.

interestingly, if you are talking about painting the lower cladding of a pajero, an experienced DIY'er armed with the proper knowledge can probably do a pretty good job (because it is down low and is only a semi-glossy finish)...but proceed at your own risk ;)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks po very much for replying to my question appreciate it alot po... very helpful

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ang kaya ko lang DIY ay yun over fender ng Patrol. di ko napansin eh nag over spray na pala ako ng primer sa metal (after removing the tapes and newspaper), ayun nag rubbing pa tuloy ako. naalis tuloy ang paint protector wax ni theveed

paint own car???