New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    As for the premature discoloration on the bumper, I daresay that the fault isn't with weather abuse but rather improper paint matching. Since the first thing that would discolor would often be the hood and the trunk (flat surfaces).

I don't really advocate cleaning the car 2-3 times a week. Hell, I usually go through mine just once every week or once every two weeks (I usually have a roof over the head though so YMMV). A dirty car might scar your ego while driving but I don't have the time to invest 3 hours just for car washes every week. Besides, it's best not to touch your car unless it really needs cleaning... less contact, the better.

You need not necessarily avail yourself of paint protection but it wouldn't hurt to do so. Alot of people like to DIY their detailing so give that a try if it's your cup of tea, if not.. go for the paint protection and DO remember to use it.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    renz, here's my opinion on the matter.

New car paint protection.. is it necessary? No. Any car kahit gaano ka-well maintained will still age over the years. Some people I know like to simply wash their car and after X amount of years do a body washover. Of course, a washover is expensive so you have to weigh that in versus the detail/maintenance cost of X years.

Before you pursue any of these protection, try to get physical protection from the elements first. This means trying your best to have your car under a roof. It's the best protection your money can buy and over the long run is the most effective too.

Detailing for shops is very... let's just say... lucrative business. If a car wash will only provide washes, mababankrupt sila.. their high margin business is in the detailing. Once you're DIY, you'll see the cost be reduced significantly. If you're pretty lazy, go look for a detailing shop that offers the best bang for your buck. This is the reason I switched from BB to Bluemile. I realized I save thousands of pesos per annum rin pala

I usually only do a complete detailing annually.. this means I usually only polish once a year (or twice a year).. while the rest of the year is tad-full of protection (waxes/sealants). I usually let detailing shops wax, clay, etc. the car since I don't have access to the regular equipment detailers have such as blowers, porter cables, etc. but for the regular washing, I try to do that myself since 100php saved is still money saved.

For waxes and sealant products, I usually like OCW, KAIO + KSG, and Collinites. These three provide the best bang-per-buck performance IMO.

On the otherhand, you might wanna look for those damn-durable products such as Optimum's Opticoat or HD Nitro services being offered by yumi (the detailing guru of TeamFD). Those products will last you... a year... maybe even more with care.
    Hi jhnkvn,

Ngayon ko lang nabasa ko. Thank you for the helpful inputs.

Re: Garage -- Yup, I do have a covered garage. Whole car protected from the harmful elements, I also don't live in a place where PUJs usually pass by, bihira lang dumaan na kotse sa street namin.

For the new car, I plan to have it detailed twice a week, the most, since it's black. But I'll have it done by a third party shop since I don't usually have the leisure of time & I'm a very lazy person when it comes to cleaning cars thoroughly.

--

*jut,

Thinking outside the box, what if a brand new pearl white vehicle be wrapped with clear vinyl would it still be prone to discoloration?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Sa umpisa lang yan brader renz after a while you'll be detailing once a week nalang.. and before you know it, once every two weeks..

As for the vinyl wrap, yes.. it would prevent premature discoloration due to sunlight. Dati tinanong ko yun question sa isang friend ko that distributes and offers foiling services (aside from Foil-a-car)

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sa umpisa lang yan brader renz after a while you'll be detailing once a week nalang.. and before you know it, once every two weeks..

As for the vinyl wrap, yes.. it would prevent premature discoloration due to sunlight. Dati tinanong ko yun question sa isang friend ko that distributes and offers foiling services (aside from Foil-a-car)
    Sorry correction, twice a month pala. Not twice a week.
    Would that be enough?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Depends also on how exposed the car is to the elements. If most of the time its in the garage even waxing once a month or longer will still suffice. Just make sure you go to a carwash that does the wash procedure properly.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Sorry correction, twice a month pala. Not twice a week.
    Would that be enough?
    oks na yan bro.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung magpapagawa ka sa iba since tamad ka mag DIY, try setting a deal with your car wash/detail shop if they can give you a special rate for labor only if you bring your own wax.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    As for the premature discoloration on the bumper, I daresay that the fault isn't with weather abuse but rather improper paint matching. Since the first thing that would discolor would often be the hood and the trunk (flat surfaces).

I don't really advocate cleaning the car 2-3 times a week. Hell, I usually go through mine just once every week or once every two weeks (I usually have a roof over the head though so YMMV). A dirty car might scar your ego while driving but I don't have the time to invest 3 hours just for car washes every week. Besides, it's best not to touch your car unless it really needs cleaning... less contact, the better.

You need not necessarily avail yourself of paint protection but it wouldn't hurt to do so. Alot of people like to DIY their detailing so give that a try if it's your cup of tea, if not.. go for the paint protection and DO remember to use it.
    Took a look at pictures I took of the car when it was brand new, and the bumper color seemed identical to the body color. I wasn't able to take a picture of the car right before having it repainted, but I really found it more yellow. I attested it to the fact that the bumpers were plastic while the body is metal, so the rate of deterioration may vary, but that was just a hunch, not sure if it's any bit valid. The only reason that I want to go for paint protection is to keep the bumpers the same shade as the body. If hindi naman makakatulong, I'll be fine with just the occasional detailing job.

Having the car parked outside, I notice that even just half a day after cleaning it, I could already feel dust accumulating on the surface. Dati pinapalinis pa yun ng nanay ko every day sa maid kasi may pagka-OA siya sa linis. I told her that it'll just scrape the clear coat off. Since nagasgasan yung car though, I took on the task of cleaning it. Lalo na ngayon since it just got painted.

Well since malapit na tag-ulan, I'll probably be cleaning it just once to twice a week. Sayang pagod ko kung lilinis ko tapos babagyuhin lang a few hours after haha.

*renz
    Magkano ba pa clear vinyl? Haha feeling ko I'm not ready to spend that much for detailing yet

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Took a look at pictures I took of the car when it was brand new, and the bumper color seemed identical to the body color. I wasn't able to take a picture of the car right before having it repainted, but I really found it more yellow. I attested it to the fact that the bumpers were plastic while the body is metal, so the rate of deterioration may vary, but that was just a hunch, not sure if it's any bit valid. The only reason that I want to go for paint protection is to keep the bumpers the same shade as the body. If hindi naman makakatulong, I'll be fine with just the occasional detailing job.

Having the car parked outside, I notice that even just half a day after cleaning it, I could already feel dust accumulating on the surface. Dati pinapalinis pa yun ng nanay ko every day sa maid kasi may pagka-OA siya sa linis. I told her that it'll just scrape the clear coat off. Since nagasgasan yung car though, I took on the task of cleaning it. Lalo na ngayon since it just got painted.

Well since malapit na tag-ulan, I'll probably be cleaning it just once to twice a week. Sayang pagod ko kung lilinis ko tapos babagyuhin lang a few hours after haha.

*renz
    Magkano ba pa clear vinyl? Haha feeling ko I'm not ready to spend that much for detailing yet
    Thing with clear vinyls, you can just pour water and wipe the dust off without worrying much about the paint.

No idea, jut. Maybe jhnkvn has, since he previously inquired about it. And, the figures he'd give you would most likely be more expensive than the cost to wrap your Altis since his car is a Sonata.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Having the car parked outside, I notice that even just half a day after cleaning it, I could already feel dust accumulating on the surface.:
    When i have to go to an office along EDSA and park my car for a couple of hours, the dust and pollution particles are quite mind boggling. If it rains, it really smudges on the paint of the white car and i have to wax it just to remove it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
New-car paint protection. Is it really necessary?