New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Thank you for the reply. It's time to separate the facts from the myths.

Kerosene does not harm nor damage the paint of your car as long as it is used as a cleaning agent to remove paint surface contaminates. It also leaves a glossy finish after. It will also help to keep the gloss if a sealant wax is applied afterwards.

Cleaning with kerosene is good on the lower portion of the cars where deposit of road contaminates like asphalt,brake pad particles, etc. are commonly accumulated. Though, for a complete surface or paint stain cleaning- or commercially called "detailing" , I would advise to go with cleaning agents with advanced chemical formulation to do job (Formula 1, Meguiars, Mothers, Dupont, APC, Wurth, 3M, etc.). Be conscious only as some brands, after the buffing, THE RESIDUES TEND TO HARDEN and stays in the edges of door trims and panels.

Initially, when you brought up the issue that the "paint softens" with kerosene, i thought it was applied on a repaint job with the clear coat not properly gelled and cured. Thank you for enlightening me on this matter.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    good thread.. thanks din... i was also using 'kerosene' to remove those stubborn asphalt and brake dust... i was worried when i read that it softens the paint..

almost time for me to buy kerosene again because im already feeling and seeing some spots on the lower half of my van.. :S

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    thanks hansipot. when Does kerosene become harmful to paint? how does it help keep the gloss and do you mean it can be used together with sealants? which sealants in your experience? thanks, always ready to learn, esp. from actual experience.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Before I use kerosene. Ngayon diesel na. Ganun din naman, mas mura pa

Nalaman ko yun nung nagpa-rustproof ako ng car dito sa Shell gas station na kakilala namin. Diesel yung gamit nung gasoline boy sa pag-tanggal nung mga tumalsik na coat sa body panels.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    More on the "softening the Paint" issue...

What exactly does it mean when you say paint is softening? Literally, lumalambot ba yun pintura? O ito un para lumolobo o umaalsa? O ito un pakiramdam na bumabaon un kuko mo pag idiniin mo siya sa clear coat ng sasakyan mo?

I think it is necessary to understand the type of clear coat applied to your car. For it will make things easier for you to choose the right products (cleaning, polishing and sealant wax) in order to keep and maintain the good look and gloss of the paint of your car.

Me nababasa kasi ako sa mga threads dito, na pagkatapos magpa wax or detail, mga tatlo o apat na gamitan lang ng sasakyan, nawawala na un gloss ng sasakyan. Mayroon naman iba, tumatagal un kintab ng sasakyan nila ng ilan buwan. Ano ang dahilan nito?

Car manufacturers kasi, consider the weather in the country they sell or market their cars. So goes with the car paint manufacturers. They make paints and clear coats that will adapt and behave according to temperature variant of the country of destination.

Kaya me malalambot na clear coat (yun bumabaon ang kuko pag diniinan)at me matitigas din na clear coat (un para kang kumakalmot ng salamin) pag ini apply ng mga repaint shop dito sa atin. Ganun din sa mga bagong sasakyan.

Sa pagbili ng sasakyan, mahalaga malaman ung klase ng clear coat na naka apply sa sasakyan. For it will later play an important role in the maintenance and looks of the car.

Napag aralan na ang weaknesses ng clear coats at me mga perfected formulation na lumabas ang mga chemical suppliers (which can be applied on the surface of the car as polish and wax) that will keep its good look and shine. Kailangan lamang na matched un chemical na gagamitin nyo sa clear coat. Marami kasing variant na lumalabas, mostly Euros and US na cleaning agents, polishing compounds, and wax sealant. Puro hindi bagay dito sa klima sa tin.

Pinakamaganda, mag experiment. pag hindi nagtagal un kintab, malamang hindi matched un wax sealant sa clear coat. Un behavior nila hindi pareho.

Ang isa pang common error, pag nagpa carwash, huwag magpapagamit ng CHAMOIS pantuyo. Malakas makatanggal ng wax ito, at mawawalan ng proteksyon un pintura ng sasakyan. Ang lakas din maka swirl marks. Use super absorbent micro fiber cloth na gaya ng Microtex at 3M na lang. Thank you.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    quid pro quo hansipot if you please. questions are for the facts that you mentioned. i too am very curious but not overly cautious hence the experimenting.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    *indiej, kerosene like any other cleaning agent will become harmful if used improperly or applied directly to the paint (esp. rubbing compound). Or in the amount of pressure you will use.

Kerosene, like paint thinner, and diesel are practically safe on clear coats. I even mix kerosene with car shampoo if i want instant shine to my pick up.

Wax sealants that I was referring to are Carnauba wax- like Turtle Wax, Formula 1, and the like. you can also buy a pure Carnauba wax (in paste form) at Allyson Chemicals along G. Araneta, QC.

Allyson also sell Silicone Emulsion, a cleaning agent we use to clean the dirt and stain of dashboards, all plastic panels, leather interiors, and rubber seals. Silicone emulsion does not only clean, but it also conditions and brings the color of all rubbers and plastics back to black (ito lang yun Bring Back to Black cleaner ng Meguiars).

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    yes, literally, it softens but not that extreme that it's that tangible. just enough to make it susceptible to marring, so i've read. since it is a fact that not all clearcoats are created equal, i tend to err in the side of caution. and my advice asks for others to do the same.

about car manufacturers and clearcoats (CC), they do sell them here with extremely thin and/or soft CCs. i can't say they chose the paints for best performance.

waxes too are not created equally. durability is more dependent on the formulation rather than the variances in temperature among continents. there are countries in europe and states in the US that are particularly hot. reading what works for them is helpful. i can say the same with the contributions in forums here.

how long the car remains shiny is not solely dependent on the products used, among others, it's also dependent on the care and usage of the owner. take for example a detailer who wants to not shampoo a car applied with sealant, i don't see how that will outlast the care i give to car paint.

there's just too many variables, in turn there are best practices.

sorry for the delayed response, i'm switching between your last 2 posts so i may not miss some queries but it's confusing. i also want to post cordially cos the written words may have a different tone from my intention.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansipot View Post
    Ang isa pang common error, pag nagpa carwash, huwag magpapagamit ng CHAMOIS pantuyo. Malakas makatanggal ng wax ito, at mawawalan ng proteksyon un pintura ng sasakyan. Ang lakas din maka swirl marks. Use super absorbent micro fiber cloth na gaya ng Microtex at 3M na lang. Thank you.
    Right now, I use this as my drying cloth.

Okay lang ba ito? Bilis kasi makatuyo plus minimal wringing lang. Mura pa. Or baka pwede eto muna para lang makuha yung malalaking water beads. Then saka MF naman to finish off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Need Exterior detailing advice...