New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    is it ok to mix detailing products? for example, i'm gonna use mother's step 1(pang prepare) then follow it up with meguiar's step 2 and step 3(polish then protect)?

natatakot kasi ako baka masira or baka mag crack pa yung paint if these substances repel each other...

so is it safe to MIX??

need your inputs guys...thanks a lot! :D

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    also, what's the lifespan of most cotton towels used for polishing?

how will you know if u need to replace your towels already?

sorry daming tanong medyo newbee lang sa detailing eh...:|

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey A-Boy,

Sure it's safe to mix detailing products. A lot of detailers like to mix it up, cause they know that one line cannot possibly offer them exactly what they want.

Feel free to experiment with products. That's how you'll find out which ones suit your needs the best!

A good set of 100% cotton towels should last for years, if taken care of properly. Just wash them as you would normal clothes. If you machine wash though, make sure you avoid fabric softener on those towels!

theveed has a good primer on automotive detailing. Check out his site:

http://groups.msn.com/PinasDetailing

Good luck, and happy detailing!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    thanx dude!

just one thing, why can't i use fabric softeners like downy for example?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Labhan mo yang mga foam applicators mo at
    terry cloth towels mo ng dishwashing Liquid.
    yan ang magaling at mabilis na panlinis ng
    mga yan after doing your detailing work.
    I use Joy with Apple Green scent... ;-D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Boy
    thanx dude!

just one thing, why can't i use fabric softeners like downy for example?
    Cause fabric softeners contain chemicals that makes towels less absorbent (but softer to touch).

I've heard of towels that have been bleached and gone through fabric softeners that have scratched paint. Very rare, but it certainly is an extreme case of what an improperly maintained towel could do.

More often than not, however, towels that have been fabric softened are more prone to streaking. This means you're not using the towels effectively.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you read through towel care tags (those attached to your towels)... it's not advisable to use bleach coz it stiffens cotton...

Downy and other fabric softeners contains oily chemicals to soften fabric which will smear your paint when you're using it (especially when damp)

Mixing Waxes