New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    sorry for the cross post.. just need help asap!

hi everyone! I have a major (?) problem after having applied kerosene on my car's paint.

I was advised that kerosene is very effective in removing asphalt and that it is relatively safe. It removed the contamination indeed. Shampooed the car after applying kerosene, cleaner wax and then a mom's S&G.

My problem is i found out just now that the areas applied with kerosene look very dull and flat. it sort of turned matte (YIKES!). it doesn't bead at all and water seems to just roll down from it.

can mere waxing the affected portions resolve this? how and why did this happen.

Thanks in advance! hope someone sees this asap! need all your help

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    first of all, how much did you apply? Many people I see apply it to the whole car or something, that'll be a chore to remove.

regarding the haze, you just haven't washed it well enough. You must wash it well before applying a wax, but a cleaner wax shouldve taken care of that.

Lastly, what did you use to remove the tar in the first place? you may have marred it with a course cloth/sponge.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka kasi yung tar na kumapit e may kasamang buhangin so nung ni-rub mo ng kerosene e nagasgas yung paint. sana hinayaan mo muna mag-soak yung kerosene until malambot na talaga then wash with water and soap.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    it was applied pretty liberally on the lower portions of the car. we made sure though that it was shampooed very well, after soaking them in kerosene for about 2 minutes. i thought everything went well after applying cleaner wax and mother S&G. but thanks to continous downpour eh i found that those portions treated with kerosene look TOO dull. parang naging matte black nga

by the way i did the whole thing last sunday and just found out about it today. i used MF towels all the way. also, i did NOT apply any wax or polymers after the S&G (could this have been the culprit?)

theveed: is tar the same as asphalt and all those contaminants "more present" sa lower portions ng kotse? i just used kerosene. no bug and tar remover.

yebo: no scratches sir.. mukha lang talaga syang matte. you can clearly see the separation nung non-affected portion (upper part) from the affected portions (lower part). parang may permanent water sheeting. the lower portions repel water.. it seems that only dust sticks to it. and medyo oily yung feel ng lower portions..

Thanks for your answers.. keep em coming please.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    scratch out using rough cloth/sponge....

ang haze mo malamang right now is caused by dried up kerosene film that wasn't removed before applying whatever you applied next. Usually cleaner wax will take it right off...

Try this, grab some strong detergent like joy or whatever, mix it up mga 5:1 mixture or so and clean the hazed part only, then check mo if it "squeaks". then go with cleaner wax and whatever you wanna use.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    thanks theveed!

5 parts joy and 1 part water? or the other way around? my apologies kung stupid question hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the other way hehehe

kerosene help